iCustom Sculpting Adventures Part I - Rinoan/a    Readers' selection (2016-12-23)

04 months agostyiastyia
orochimaruxsaber (4 months ago) #17113417mine broke so much after baking too!!! oven bake clay is really brittle ;; you did a great job on the legs and the torso... :O
yeah i referenced so much but mine still turned out pretty bad lol... there was a moment where mine looked almost decent (before i added the clothes)
[ext link ] (here's the album with pics)
after i added the face and clothes it kinda looked bad... and omfg the hands on mine look like mashed potatoes they're so lumpy!! lol but yea it's definitely a learning experience so i don't mind ;;
i think yours will turn out great!! (especially if you have more patience than i do lol) keep us updated!!
i'm probably going to try again and use epoxy clay :3

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with the holidays! If you don't mind me asking, how did you fix the cracks and breaks? I got liquid sculpey for it but I'd love to hear what you did and whether or not it worked out for you.

The anatomy did take me a long time, but I think I will hopefully get faster once I do it more! I think yours looks nice as well, love the details you put in around the neck/collarbone area and the torso. Have you painted her yet?

I might end up ruining the hands and head of mine once I actually get there haha. I'm too afraid that I'd screw it up so I just baked the rest first then I'll work on those. Did you do the entire thing in one go? And I'd love to see if you end up sculpting a new project with epoxy clay!
04 months ago (4 months ago)orochimaruxsaberorochimaruxsaber
styia (5 months ago) #17041900Thanks for the comment! Oh wow! Did you already finish your sculpture? If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to see what you made ^^
I'm really nervous about the hands haha, hence I'm leaving them for later... >_< The thighs I haven't fully finished yet but I did find them difficult. But what has been the most difficult so far is how the clay keeps breaking after being baked. I have a feeling I was too rough with the sandpaper... Hopefully the liquid sculpey which I just got will fix that though. Apart from that, I guess I spent a long time on the torso and used a lot of referencing to make it. It's much more complicated than it looks x_x
I will be posting my progress here, and hopefully I will finish her as she's one of my favorite characters. For the wings, I might branch out into epoxy later on but I want to learn one thing at a time, so clay it will be.

[ext link ] (here's the album with pics)

i'm probably going to try again and use epoxy clay :3
15 months agostyiastyia
orochimaruxsaber (5 months ago) #17022912omfg i recently sculpted something in a very similar pose with the same type of clay!! this post is really relatable lol
I found it really hard to give the thighs a natural look, my sculpture is similar to yours from the waist down... what did you find the most difficult about the whole process? i hope u keep going and good luck on the hands ;D lmao
really though the character you are trying to make is so beautiful and i like her wings, so i hope you finish (sculpting wings seems really time consuming.. but it's something ive been wanting to try too but i'll probably use epoxy and not oven bake clay)

05 months agoorochimaruxsaberorochimaruxsaber
05 months agostyiastyia
cpmsan (5 months ago) #16995785Very interesting to see someone try customs with sculpey! i have been crafting with polyclay for a long time and have been wondering if i should make a figure with clay. Maybe will try it too next year ^^

So far I don't know if Super Sculpey is the right decision here since it keeps breaking ;_; but I figured I'd try out different types of polyclay before choosing my favorite. And I would definitely be interested in seeing what you make, especially since you have experience with polyclay already :)
05 months agocpmsancpmsan
05 months agostyiastyia
CrowMaiden (5 months ago) #16986346Looks like a good start! I hope you post more about it as you go :)

Thank you! I will definitely be posting more once I have more progress!
05 months agoCrowMaidenCrowMaiden
Looks like a good start! I hope you post more about it as you go :)
05 months agostyiastyia
PeanutButter (5 months ago) #16981850I was thinking about doing custom figures too as I have a background in 3d modeling and it'd make for good practice but I have zip idea of what would be the best materials to print out the model.
Well that and I have no commitment to personal projects. I start things then never finish them.
Really looking forward to your results! You are far more ambitious than I could ever be. Plus Rinoa is just an amazing character to make. Specially considering the lack of figures of her. Let alone ones with wings!

Thank you for your comment! If you ever end up creating something with 3d modeling I'd love to see the results! Unfortunately I don't know too much about 3d printing, but you could look at materials that other people use to make their models? This site [ext link ] for example suggests various types of plastics or metal, as do creator apps on Shapeways like this one [ext link ]. Sandstone is another option that pet modeling creator apps use.

I was actually thinking that I might be too ambitious, doing such a complicated design as my first project. But I'm always the type to jump in and start with what I'm really passionate about, even if it means I'll end up failing along the way. At least I'll probably end up learning something :) And hopefully I'll also end up with a final product that I can be proud of.
05 months agoPeanutButterPeanutButter