Comments • Male v/s famale figures

• ‹ PrevFirst123LastNext ›
    27 comments
    Just like I said in another comment, the sad, blunt truth of this world is that tits sell better than meat and two veg. Otakus'd rather have scantily-clad harlots, be they nubile nymphets or buxom temptresses than manly men and androgynous ephebes.

Which is a shame, because God knows that some men deserve AT LEAST a scale 1/7 or 1/8 PVC figure. The worst offense, though your mileage may vary on this statement, is when they only get a Garage Kit.

Just look at the Fate figures: back when Fate/Zero aired, the figs of Iskandar, Diarmaid and Waver Megahouse released sold rather poorly, which doomed Gilgamesh's figure to eternal protoype-status oblivion. There was also that awesome articulated Figma-like GK of Lancelot...

This may be one of the reasons companies are so cautious when it comes to releasing a male fig. Seeing as Archer only got a nice PVC thanks to UBW airing and Gilgamesh getting a Figma not too long ago, it really makes you think about the state of the industry when it comes to male figures.
    6 months ago
    riringo (6 months ago) #19156446That's what I meant by "no way". Like, it's theoretically possible to do it, but it's not a realistic task, there's just too many anime out there.
    Thus, you can't make a statement like "it would be very difficult to achieve a 50/50 ratio between male and female characters just due to the sheer number of female characters in anime" because there's also a great number of male characters in anime.

It is a realistic task. Someone or some group just needs to be motivated enough to do it. Also, how does there being a large number of male characters make my statement invalid?

The Anime Character Database www.animecharac... lists 79,277 characters

54 ambiguous/unknown gender
    20054 unclassified?
    22996 male
    36173 female

The number is a lot closer than I would have expected (though 20,000 characters have no gender tag) with the ratio of male:female characters being 2:3

In any event, I get the point that I believe you were trying to make, which is that the actual numbers for each gender doesn't really matter, since not every character will get a figure anyway, and there are other characters that will get more than warranted. Whereas I was thinking of a one character to one figure ratio, which just doesn't happen.
    6 months ago
    yaiba (6 months ago) #19156394There is a way. Just make a tally of all the characters. The problem is actually getting a complete list done.

6 months ago
    riringo (6 months ago) #19156089There's no way prove there's a significantly greater amount of female characters in anime as opposed to male characters.
    riringo (6 months ago) #19156089Plus, let's be honest, companies don't make female characters all the time because there's more of them - they make them because it's what appeals to the straight male otaku, which is the group traditionally thought to make up the adult anime enthousiast population.
    I won't argue with that. Companies base their decisions on how they interpret their marketing data, which may or may not be flawed. That's why you have a million Miku, Saber, and Rei figures as well.
    6 months ago
    yaiba (6 months ago) #19155991Conspiracy theories aside, I'd think it would be very difficult to achieve a 50/50 ratio between male and female characters just due to the sheer number of female characters in anime.

6 months ago

Also, in just looking at a few of the male figures I was interested in, I also see that there is a huge difference in ownership based on gender, as opposed to most of the female figures I'm interested in which seem to appeal equally to both males and females.

Make of that what you will.

That said, I do think that not making a figure of the male lead in a series is kind of mind-boggling (though I guess not having a complete set of main character figures is just as odd to me).
    6 months ago
    Aldena (6 months ago) #19141530I'm thankful were getting more male stuff, it's obviously an improvement, but we're far from a fair situation.
    I agree more or less with your entire comment, but this in particular.

Speaking generally, but it's true what OP says that the price is more for a plain male sculpt compared to a similarly plain female sculpt (a "bishounen tax", if you will). Strangely male figures that are actually complex seems to be around the same price range as female figures of the same complexity.

There are also times I feel like companies are less careful about the quality of male sculpts because they think girls will fork out money anyway just because they're a pretty guy. The most recent figure being ITEM #293234 (which I cancelled over, because some of his quality issues are NOT typical of the manufacturer). Companies also seem phobic about poses that aren't just about standing around looking strong, even though one of the first mass produced male scaled figures (ITEM #116883) was in a gravity-defying pose and sold extremely well.

And then when male figures DON'T sell because of a variety of technical reasons (eg. manufacture quality, boring pose, doesn't look like character, etc), they blame it on a "lack of interest in male figures" and stop entirely. It just makes me think companies (not all) want male characters to fail... in which case, why even bother if it's just going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Personally, I don't really care about whether a figure is male or female, as long as they appeal to me (my collection is basically 50/50 male to female ratio), but male figure collectors definitely have it tougher, even though it's a lot better than several years ago.
    6 months ago
    Aldena (6 months ago) #19141530Where I agree with people that series with large male casts like sports anime and tourabu are getting a positive increase it's the series with more even gender casts, duo-leads and series more aimed at a male-audience(which is ofcourse less of a thing these days but I hope you all understand what I mean) that end up feeling the female-figure only treatment.
    Examples would be Fate, Re-Zero, Konosuba, No Game No Life(we got a sora nendoroid, yes, but no scales where most of the fem cast does), Granblue Fantasy, Fire Emblem(2 chibi's but no male scales) and the list goes on. It's for these series that it's quite apparent that female-first is not going away anytime soon. If these series give any love to their male characters it's always /after/ at least 1-2 female figures. For some the case can be made that the male characters look less interesting but there's nothing a cool pose/base decoration can't fix(and in the case of Fate and Fire emblem there are definitely plenty of superb male designs).
    I'm thankful were getting more male stuff, it's obviously an improvement, but we're far from a fair situation. And honestly, I don't see it ever becoming 50/50 but that's ok! As long as the male leads get *something* I'm already plenty satisfied.

^^^ all of this. I'm so glad you put it so eloquently.
    6 months ago
    Bea2028 (6 months ago) #19141127No siempre es verdad lo de tú dices (normalmente en figuras de cómics americanos y tal hay bastantes más figuras de hombres UE de mujeres) pero no es el caso de figuras de anime y manga. Yo colecciono mayoritariamente figuras de chicas,pero a veces me gustaría tener figuras de mis husbandos,y no suelen ser tan impresionantes como las de mis chicas favoritas ;_;
    Eso es verdad. No se da en tooodos los casos pero en el anime y los juegos si!! Y en general... Me encantaría que fuera 50/50 algún día y con la misma calidad ;; no es un post de odio hacia las mujeres, yo adoro a mis chicas! Pero quiero figuras igual de bonitas en hombres también
    6 months ago
    I'm a simple person, if I see a figure I really like I'll buy it regardless of the gender.

And besides, companies gotta keep their profits up so they make what they know people will buy. The collecting scene is a lot more gender balanced than it was 5 years ago and they're probably being cautious, but hey, at least they're doing something. Can't blame them for doing that.
    6 months ago
  • ‹ PrevFirst123LastNext ›
    27 comments
Anime, Figures and Manga For Less!