iMale v/s famale figuresn/a

• « Prev   1 2   Next »

27 comments
18 days agoHeldrikHeldrik
Just like I said in another comment, the sad, blunt truth of this world is that tits sell better than meat and two veg. Otakus'd rather have scantily-clad harlots, be they nubile nymphets or buxom temptresses than manly men and androgynous ephebes.

Which is a shame, because God knows that some men deserve AT LEAST a scale 1/7 or 1/8 PVC figure. The worst offense, though your mileage may vary on this statement, is when they only get a Garage Kit.

Just look at the Fate figures: back when Fate/Zero aired, the figs of Iskandar, Diarmaid and Waver Megahouse released sold rather poorly, which doomed Gilgamesh's figure to eternal protoype-status oblivion. There was also that awesome articulated Figma-like GK of Lancelot...

This may be one of the reasons companies are so cautious when it comes to releasing a male fig. Seeing as Archer only got a nice PVC thanks to UBW airing and Gilgamesh getting a Figma not too long ago, it really makes you think about the state of the industry when it comes to male figures.
09 days agoyaibayaiba
riringo (9 days ago) #19156446That's what I meant by "no way". Like, it's theoretically possible to do it, but it's not a realistic task, there's just too many anime out there.
Thus, you can't make a statement like "it would be very difficult to achieve a 50/50 ratio between male and female characters just due to the sheer number of female characters in anime" because there's also a great number of male characters in anime.

It is a realistic task. Someone or some group just needs to be motivated enough to do it. Also, how does there being a large number of male characters make my statement invalid?

The Anime Character Database [ext link ] lists 79,277 characters

54 ambiguous/unknown gender
20054 unclassified?
22996 male
36173 female

The number is a lot closer than I would have expected (though 20,000 characters have no gender tag) with the ratio of male:female characters being 2:3

In any event, I get the point that I believe you were trying to make, which is that the actual numbers for each gender doesn't really matter, since not every character will get a figure anyway, and there are other characters that will get more than warranted. Whereas I was thinking of a one character to one figure ratio, which just doesn't happen.
09 days agoriringoriringo
yaiba (9 days ago) #19156394There is a way. Just make a tally of all the characters. The problem is actually getting a complete list done.

09 days ago (9 days ago)yaibayaiba
riringo (9 days ago) #19156089There's no way prove there's a significantly greater amount of female characters in anime as opposed to male characters.
riringo (9 days ago) #19156089Plus, let's be honest, companies don't make female characters all the time because there's more of them - they make them because it's what appeals to the straight male otaku, which is the group traditionally thought to make up the adult anime enthousiast population.
I won't argue with that. Companies base their decisions on how they interpret their marketing data, which may or may not be flawed. That's why you have a million Miku, Saber, and Rei figures as well.
29 days agoriringoriringo
yaiba (9 days ago) #19155991Conspiracy theories aside, I'd think it would be very difficult to achieve a 50/50 ratio between male and female characters just due to the sheer number of female characters in anime.

09 days ago (9 days ago)yaibayaiba

Also, in just looking at a few of the male figures I was interested in, I also see that there is a huge difference in ownership based on gender, as opposed to most of the female figures I'm interested in which seem to appeal equally to both males and females.

Make of that what you will.

That said, I do think that not making a figure of the male lead in a series is kind of mind-boggling (though I guess not having a complete set of main character figures is just as odd to me).
79 days agoriringoriringo
Aldena (9 days ago) #19141530I'm thankful were getting more male stuff, it's obviously an improvement, but we're far from a fair situation.
I agree more or less with your entire comment, but this in particular.

Speaking generally, but it's true what OP says that the price is more for a plain male sculpt compared to a similarly plain female sculpt (a "bishounen tax", if you will). Strangely male figures that are actually complex seems to be around the same price range as female figures of the same complexity.

There are also times I feel like companies are less careful about the quality of male sculpts because they think girls will fork out money anyway just because they're a pretty guy. The most recent figure being item #293234 (which I cancelled over, because some of his quality issues are NOT typical of the manufacturer). Companies also seem phobic about poses that aren't just about standing around looking strong, even though one of the first mass produced male scaled figures (item #116883) was in a gravity-defying pose and sold extremely well.

And then when male figures DON'T sell because of a variety of technical reasons (eg. manufacture quality, boring pose, doesn't look like character, etc), they blame it on a "lack of interest in male figures" and stop entirely. It just makes me think companies (not all) want male characters to fail... in which case, why even bother if it's just going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Personally, I don't really care about whether a figure is male or female, as long as they appeal to me (my collection is basically 50/50 male to female ratio), but male figure collectors definitely have it tougher, even though it's a lot better than several years ago.
09 days agoEmeraldxDewEmeraldxDew
Aldena (9 days ago) #19141530Where I agree with people that series with large male casts like sports anime and tourabu are getting a positive increase it's the series with more even gender casts, duo-leads and series more aimed at a male-audience(which is ofcourse less of a thing these days but I hope you all understand what I mean) that end up feeling the female-figure only treatment.
Examples would be Fate, Re-Zero, Konosuba, No Game No Life(we got a sora nendoroid, yes, but no scales where most of the fem cast does), Granblue Fantasy, Fire Emblem(2 chibi's but no male scales) and the list goes on. It's for these series that it's quite apparent that female-first is not going away anytime soon. If these series give any love to their male characters it's always /after/ at least 1-2 female figures. For some the case can be made that the male characters look less interesting but there's nothing a cool pose/base decoration can't fix(and in the case of Fate and Fire emblem there are definitely plenty of superb male designs).
I'm thankful were getting more male stuff, it's obviously an improvement, but we're far from a fair situation. And honestly, I don't see it ever becoming 50/50 but that's ok! As long as the male leads get *something* I'm already plenty satisfied.

^^^ all of this. I'm so glad you put it so eloquently.
09 days agoconcfconcf
Bea2028 (9 days ago) #19141127No siempre es verdad lo de tú dices (normalmente en figuras de cómics americanos y tal hay bastantes más figuras de hombres UE de mujeres) pero no es el caso de figuras de anime y manga. Yo colecciono mayoritariamente figuras de chicas,pero a veces me gustaría tener figuras de mis husbandos,y no suelen ser tan impresionantes como las de mis chicas favoritas ;_;
Eso es verdad. No se da en tooodos los casos pero en el anime y los juegos si!! Y en general... Me encantaría que fuera 50/50 algún día y con la misma calidad ;; no es un post de odio hacia las mujeres, yo adoro a mis chicas! Pero quiero figuras igual de bonitas en hombres también
29 days agoLovelyIdiotLovelyIdiot
I'm a simple person, if I see a figure I really like I'll buy it regardless of the gender.

And besides, companies gotta keep their profits up so they make what they know people will buy. The collecting scene is a lot more gender balanced than it was 5 years ago and they're probably being cautious, but hey, at least they're doing something. Can't blame them for doing that.
19 days agoJosineJosine
anabel (9 days ago) #19147830I heard from one of GSC's distributors that rumor has it he'll be continued this year or next year. Can't confirm though.
MegaHouse has no ties with GSC as far as I know...? (Though if GSC would be making their own scale of him that would be great news!)
59 days agoTayaTaya
Apparently, that's because boobs sell better... It also annoys me that even animes, where the main character is male get only the female characters made and the guys are just ignored completely. I'm a huge Gundam fan, and I'm glad that we got some figures from the older series, but most of them are just side characters.
19 days agoanabelanabel
Josine (9 days ago) #19144118You mean this one? item #109893 I don't think anything's ever gonna happen with that one. Also Megahouse's Lancer had leaning issues and issues with his lance breaking easily, so not sure if want.
09 days ago (9 days ago)JosineJosine
anabel (9 days ago) #19143944gilgamesh has been planned to get a scale for quite a while now
09 days agoanabelanabel
Josine (9 days ago) #19139788If your referring to Male servants of the fate franchise: yeah. Disappointing. Give me a good Gilgamesh scale goddamnit ;_;
But I have to admit that source materials like Free, Haikyuu, Touken Ranbu or Dramatical Murder that have a cast that consists mainly/solely of males get their fair share of figures as well (especially Touken Ranbu, I don't see the figure flood end soon^^) Also Yuri!! On Ice is beginning to get figures now.

gilgamesh has been planned to get a scale for quite a while now
49 days agoAldenaAldena

09 days agoBea2028Bea2028
49 days agoJosineJosine
379 days ago (9 days ago)BloodFlowerBloodFlower
I'm sorry, but "when a game is released whe can guess that all the girls are going to have figures and probably the guys would never have one, not even one." is not true. Game male main characters are more likely to get a figure than female leads, the only exception is visual novels (where the male usually is just there for self-insert) and all female cast games like Senran Kagura and Neptune (which speaks for itselves why). For example: People have been complaining for years for a Princess Zelda figure while Link have gotten the figure treatment multiple times, she got just got her first figma announced while Link have three by now.

Also, comparing a male kimono to a female kimono like Miku's and Kaito's is like comparing a ball room gown with a tuxedo. Male-oriented clothing are in general less detailed and colourful than female-oriented clothing and this applies both to western and eastern clothing.
49 days ago (9 days ago)YankeeAllStarsYankeeAllStars
I could be wrong, but aren't there just a lot more female characters in general in anime, manga, games, vocaloids, doujinshi, hentai, and any other media that has anime-style characters? Just as a starter there seems to be a lot more harem shows targeting male audiences than shows targeted at female audiences. Also The Idolm@ster series on its own probably has over 100 female characters to pick from to make a figure of. Finally there are tons of games that are exclusively/mostly female characters like Hyperdimension Neptunia and Senran Kagura, but I can't think of many popular games that are like that but with male characters. More characters to pick from probably means more figures to make.

And as for your example, you picked a terrible comparison. I could definitely see how male figures might get less details in general. But in your example Kaito obviously isn't going to wear flowers in his hair, nor will his clothes have bright, complex flower patterns. Unless they completely ignore traditional styles, no matter who makes it it's just going to end up being that Kaito's figure is going to look boring compared to the others in that set. You do have a point in regards to his base though.

But I do understand your frustration to some degree. There aren't really any scale figures for the male characters in Anohana, and my collection will only feel half completed without the guys. I could think of a few more male characters from my favorite shows that didn't get a scale figure made.

« Prev   1 2   Next »