HomeBlogsArticle #32548Comments

Comments • Me and the woes of Gatcha games

• ‹ PrevFirst123LastNext ›
    61 comments
    I've played both ToL and FE:H and luckily never been tempted to spend money for one character. ToL would have seriously tempted me with characters if I didn't get out of playing it due to trying (and failing) to the re-roll just to get 5* characters (*coughzeloscough*). I've been thinking about getting into ToL again, but I dunno if it's worth to get back to where I was.

Nowadays, I really only play is the Dream Boy/Girlfriend series and while a few times I've thought about spending money on an item, being broke and knowing it's not worth it does help. Instead I tend to spend money on useless physical goods. >_>
    8 months ago
    windy (8 months ago) #19231706Wow, ouch. That is some seriously bad luck. After being used to F/GO's abysmal 5* Servant rate (1%) FEH's seems generous to me in comparison, especially with the pity counter. I have as many 5*s in FEH as I do in F/GO and I've been playing the latter for six times as long and have spent much more on it...

LOL as I said before, I have no 5* in FEH at all, whereas in FGO I have like 3, including the elusive Alter Jeanne. In my experience, FGO is actually the generous one x'D
    8 months ago
    For me, besides the potential for spending too much money, many of these involve too much TIME. I've played several free to play games, Zombidle, Koihime Musou Online, Strike Witches and Mancala Online. Not to say they weren't fun, but no matter which one I played, there was always some seemingly millionare rich player(s) living in a bunker playing this game 24/7. I never wanted/needed to be the best, but it gets old to see the same people at the top week after week and outpacing your progress no matter how much work you've put into the game. So after the last one, I told myself that'd I'd never play a free to play (or pay to win for that matter) game again. I need to play games with a definitive end or a reachable end goal. Even if they are proclaimed tedoous or needlessly long, there is still a light at the end of the tunnel compared to 'gatcha' games.
    8 months ago
    kanozo (8 months ago) #19227959I've been playing FE Heroes a little bit but can't really get into it just because of how absurdly low the chances of getting a 5 star are. Like I've been playing since day 1 and the only 5 star I got was Tacomeme which I guess was lucky. Pull after pull I get nothing and it eventually gets old.

8 months ago
    Gatcha games, like any gambling system, are pure evil. Unfortunately, I'm one of those victims too, although I've never lost control over my expenses, yet. But it's really a dangerous thing and I perfectly understand why some people get carried over by gatchas.
    I'm glad to hear that you're progressing with it. I think it's a great thing to acknowledge the problem and a big step towards overcoming it.
    8 months ago
    I play TOL as well and am ashamed to say I've spent around 150$ on impulse stones. I think it does a good job though with making rates good, so it's not entirely hopeless to get your favorite.

8 months ago
    I'm pretty sure all SIF players felt a sting in their chest as they read this.
    8 months ago
    I don't mind spending money on gatchas from time to time. Usually when a good deal appears that allows you to select a character from a current pool.
    8 months ago
    It is just a matter of time before new gatcha games progress naturally towards their end. After a few games, I learn not to be emotionally invested in any game that much.

The most important thing is enjoyment from the game. I try to avoid gatcha but I dont mind "buying" (i.e spent a certain amount for a guaranteed character I like)
    8 months ago
    Woah, I never knew it could get that bad o_o I play both Tales of Link and FE: Heroes (as well as Japanese games) , but I'm super strict on not spending a single penny on them. And it's not as if I don't know the desperation of wanting a character; believe me, I've yet to get a 5* in Heroes (tons of 4*, though!) and I cry in despair every time I spend all of my free stones in a Link/Link JP/Asteria gacha and I don't get the 5* Ludger I want. I've felt tempted to buy stones at times, but the moment I see how much they're worth, my mind starts imagining just how many things I can do with that money... And I run xD

I've learned to work with whatever I get. It's not optimal, and I rarely get what I want, but RNGJesus has blessed me with some great units nevertheless, I can't complain that much :)

But yeah, it really takes some self control. Restricting yourself to only Google Play giftcards or survey credits is something I've heard a lot, and I do think it's a good idea. But when you're that deep into this, I guess staying away from mobile games altogether is for the better.
    8 months ago
  • ‹ PrevFirst123LastNext ›
    61 comments
Buy from Japan. Easier than ever.