SB-129
Regular Boarder

SB-129

Online No
Level 10
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 20

6 months ago
I found a dakimakura cover I'm interested in, and it's rare, limited to 200 copies, exclusive to Amiami and released back in 2010.

[ext link ]

Problem: it's labeled as "secondhand," That really scares me. Technically, I suppose "secondhand" could mean "not from the original seller," but since it's old, limited, rare and being sold for half of the original price, I take it to mean "used." Who knows what unthinkable things have been done to it?

What to do?
Updated 6 months ago #20485700

alazif03
Regular Boarder

alazif03

Online No
Level 23
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 7
Location Somewhere...

6 months ago
Hi!
I bought two Dakis from Surugaya, both said "preowned":

- item #482945, which is quite old too. I didn't open it but it really looks unused, it's still folded like the ones you can find on Mandarake.

- item #63568, according to me this one was also unused, but I washed it before putting it in my bed!

I think you can go ahead and buy the Daki you want. Surugaya is a reliable store, even though they aren't as precise as Mandarake or Amiami can be with preowned items. Anyway there's no "rank b" mention for your Daki, so it must be unused. The material is polyester so it's washable.

That's my opinion though. But yeah, "secondhand" means that anybody can have sold the item to Surugaya.

Shashin
Dakimakura Cover Collector
Regular Boarder

Shashin

Online No
Level 14
Joined 6 years ago
Post(s) 81
Location United St...

6 months ago
I don't have any experience with Surugaya so I can't comment on their policies. I'd personally say it's worth the risk if it really was only limited to 200 copies, but you should be expected to use it for display and nothing else.

I know Mandarake operates a little differently, but I can use my experiences with them to relate:

- 99% of items on Mandarake are technically second hand (they occasionally do pre-orders for some covers)

- I'd say about 80% of the time, covers are still sealed/brand new in their original packaging.

- The other 15-19% of the time, they're repackaged with no visible damage/problems.

- Occasionally Mandarake will heavily discount items, and list that they have some damage. I've bought maybe 10 of these covers in the past. 5-6 of them had no visible damage/use. 2-3 of them were washed with a scented detergent but didn't have any visible stains/damage. And one had some pretty severe pilling in a few spots.

I'd hope that Surugaya is nearly as diligent in labeling as Mandarake is, but I'd say for the low price, even if the cover were damaged, you'd be able to use it for display without too much issue.

SB-129
Regular Boarder

SB-129

Online No
Level 10
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 20

6 months ago
Thanks, guys. Well, I'm going for it. It's my first cover (I don't even have a pillow yet), and I hope it turns out fine. I'll report back on how it turns out.

Top ↑

Join the club to join the discussion.