Take care of your figures!Take care of your figures!Learn how to take care of your collection with your mates!

R_Kasahara
( =₃=)*
Very Important Boarder

R_Kasahara

Online No
Level 25
Joined 9 years ago
Post(s) 1812
Location Bay Area,...

6 years ago
I was rearranging some figures in my cases when I noticed a slight stickiness on one of them. It's an older SegaPrize figure of Sakura Kinomoto (item #9216), and the stickiness is mainly on the white rim of her skirt.

I'm aware that this is a common problem with certain older figures, but this is the first time it's happened to me. Anyone have suggestions for how to deal with this? Is there a way to remove or mitigate the stickiness/oiliness short of repainting all the white parts, and without damaging the figure?

kilani
Sayaka Rank
Administrator + Puella Magi

kilani

Online No
Level 36
Joined 8 years ago
Post(s) 5434
Location United St...

5 years ago
Saw because of other post, obviously aha.

I also have a figure with this problem but not attempted anything, however I have heard of similar problems in the past in my other figure hobbies and one solution I remember working was to put the figure in the freezer. I'm not sure how effective it is but maybe it's worth a try ^^
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-N8qnyiXA8bQ/T5j5J8_2h5I/AAAAAAAACOo/GkYMx2PBlrE/s365/hanekawa_01_websnap16p.gifhttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6wUxtdQRF7s/T6XnI1JllMI/AAAAAAAACRU/8z9j-nQXegs/s400/hanekawa_02d.gifhttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ek8D9dEqt_4/T5mFnKWLOtI/AAAAAAAACPQ/l02cExv9aHc/s150/hanekawa_03.gif

youth
Regular Boarder

youth

Online No
Level 7
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 16

5 years ago
I'm really surprised this issue isn't brought up more & is there even a consensus here on what's causing the stickyness? Maybe I notice it more since I have alot of figures.

I believe it's not the paint, but a chemical use to make the PVC softer. This toxic chemical phthalates seeps out of the figure causing the oily stickyness. Heat is said to cause this but with over 100 figures all exposed to the same conditions, only less then 5-10% of my collection exhibit this problem so it's more then a heat issue. Likely a bad or poor quality mix for the plastics used.

Maybe there is another chemical that can dissolve these plasticizers? I really wonder how the Japanese deal with this.

R_Kasahara
( =₃=)*
Very Important Boarder

R_Kasahara

Online No
Level 25
Joined 9 years ago
Post(s) 1812
Location Bay Area,...

5 years ago
youthI believe it's not the paint, but a chemical use to make the PVC softer.
I think it is more the paint in my case. The pink-painted skirt is part of the same piece of plastic, but isn't sticky like the white rim is.

Muntoe
Lover of cacti ♡꒰*・ω・人・ω・*꒱♡

Muntoe

Online No
Level 45
Joined 8 years ago
Post(s) 2970
Location United St...

5 years ago
Could it be a certain type of sealer that they used? I know when I painted and sealed a PVC once it caused this weird stickiness that kind of left shiny fingerprints. I'm not sure if that's what you're experiencing and unfortunately I have not found a way to combat this :c

markiemark
Regular Boarder

markiemark

Online No
Level 6
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 2

1 year ago
youth (5 years ago) #848621I'm really surprised this issue isn't brought up more & is there even a consensus here on what's causing the stickyness? Maybe I notice it more since I have alot of figures.

I believe it's not the paint, but a chemical use to make the PVC softer. This toxic chemical phthalates seeps out of the figure causing the oily stickyness. Heat is said to cause this but with over 100 figures all exposed to the same conditions, only less then 5-10% of my collection exhibit this problem so it's more then a heat issue. Likely a bad or poor quality mix for the plastics used.

Maybe there is another chemical that can dissolve these plasticizers? I really wonder how the Japanese deal with this.

Sorry to revive this but I didn't see a point in posting a new thread on this issue so, i'm posting here. I've seen a lot of resources, forums that goes against the traditional cleaning (washing + 'gentle' soap) and then, freezing (see case against it @ [ext link ]).
So question, what is the best method without shortening the lifespan of PVCs? I got a lot of nendoroids and scaled figurines all made of PVC and the ones that are displayed detolf cab are the ones that are sweating a lot... :( I'm so far starting off cleaning Nendo Miku ver 1... used soap and normal temp water but after reading some more I got discouraged to continue fearing that I would speed up discoloring and brittling the plastic :(
Updated 1 year ago #5776281

youth
Regular Boarder

youth

Online No
Level 7
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 16

1 year ago
markiemark (1 year ago) #5776281
So question, what is the best method without shortening the lifespan of PVCs? I got a lot of nendoroids and scaled figurines all made of PVC and the ones that are displayed detolf cab are the ones that are sweating a lot... :( I'm so far starting off cleaning Nendo Miku ver 1... used soap and normal temp water but after reading some more I got discouraged to continue fearing that I would speed up discoloring and brittling the plastic :(

I don't know if there are any long term effects, but I've been using liquid laundry detergent Woolite with a toothbrush to clean my oily figures with good results. Some of those cleaned began sweating again after awhile another cleaning. I don't quite understand about PVC brittleness since the figures are just for display. Unless we are talking about drying out & developing cracks, but I have not seen any signs of that.

R_Kasahara
( =₃=)*
Very Important Boarder

R_Kasahara

Online No
Level 25
Joined 9 years ago
Post(s) 1812
Location Bay Area,...

1 year ago
Okay, I'm having this problem again, but this time it's much, much worse. The item in question is Hori's PS2 Slime Controller - [ext link ]

I've had it on display for years and the stickiness has gotten really bad-- it's all over the blue surface of the Slime's body. I can't use the Mikatan solution of soaking it, since that would damage the components inside. Running some packing tape across the surface (mainly to get rid of some pet hair) picked up some of the stickiness, but I'm looking for a more permanent solution. The washing-with-a-toothbrush thing youth mentioned might work...

Then again, I'm strongly considering selling it anyway, so maybe I should just put it up for sale and let the buyer deal with it, but OTOH, it'd be nice for it to be in the best condition possible before doing so.
Updated 1 year ago #6046665

captain-burrito
Regular Boarder

captain-burrito

Online No
Level 6
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 16

6 months ago
I clean figures with a toothbrush and some washing up detergent. That removes the grease. I live in a cold climate however and if it is heat that caused the oiliness in the first place I suspect it was in Japan as it is really never warm here, other than from heating. While I will have to clean dust again, I will seldom have to clean oiliness again after the first time I got it.

I did have one SEGA UFO figure that had droplets of oil all over it. I cleaned it twice with my usual method and there is still some oiliness so I will try another couple times. I suspect this one will keep doing it.

I can't guarantee the long term wisdom in this method. I used to wash cars with washing up detergent and over time I noticed it damaged the paintwork but I've never really washed figures as often as a car even over a couple of decades. I do it because it is no use to me if it lasts forever but is always greasy and attracting dust. I just accept that these things are going to have finite live spans.

Don't use hot water however, cold or warm is ok in my experience. Hot water can warp some figures. Another method I use is to spot clean with a q-tip / cotton bud with some isopropyl alcohol on it. Be careful as it can rub paint off with more than a gently dab. Might want to then dab some water over that area to get rid of the alcohol residue.

Sealed display cases can help minimize dust.

Top ↑

Join the club to join the discussion.