piratepapillon

Online No
Level 19
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 429
Location Canada

2 years ago
Anyone want to talk horror films?

To start off I'll say I'm a huge collector of horror films and have amassed several hundred films on DVD. I've loved horror movies since I was a kid and used to rent them from a shady video store without my parents knowing. Now that I'm an adult I've studied a lot of film theory and can appreciate them from a technical point of view as much as just for entertainment value. It's possibly my greatest passion.

I started off watching mostly gory 80's cheese and B movies but have stretched out into most types of horror. Overall I like the 70's and 80's best for horror films and lately I've been particularly interested in the Giallo (yes, you could argue that's not pure horror but meh)
My favorite horror icon is Vincent Price and I think he's a master of the art.

Fun stuff! Some of my favorite films- The Company of Wolves, Hellraiser, Candyman, Suspiria, Inferno, Phenomena, Deep Red, Phantasm, Dead Alive, Evil Dead, Brain Damage, Re-Animator, Basket Case, The Toxic Avenger, CHUD, Chopping Mall, Night of the Comet, The Stuff, The Deadly Spawn, House 1 and 2, Pirahna, Slumber Party Massacre, Happy Birthday to Me, Sleepaway Camp, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Thing, Alien, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, The Fog, Don't Look Now, The Abominable Dr.Phibes, The Haunted Palace, Theatre of Blood, The Wickerman, The Amityville Horror, The Omen, Carrie, Return of the Living Dead, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Night+Dawn+Day of the Dead, Critters, Ghoulies, It's Alive! Gingersnaps, and of course can't forget the scariest movie ever- Troll 2! But for real now, there are tons of others I love and these are just most of my tops.

Feel free to share your own favorites and horror roots and hopefully we can get a discussiopn going ;D Anything is fine, even just what you've been watching recently.
Updated 2 years ago #1040571

mintbunny
Key Princess
Regular Boarder

mintbunny

Online Yes
Level 19
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 481
Location MD, USA

2 years ago
I'm not a huge fan, but I appreciate horror films despite the fact I can't sleep after watching one. I own one horror film on DVD. The original Saw. I loved it. It disgusts me, it scares me, I cry when I watch it, but it's just so damn good. The writing and the plot and the villain. Awesome. I personally loved the remake of House on Haunted Hill. Never fails to scare everything out me. Any horror film based on a Stephen King novel Is pure gold. Some are better than others, but they're all great. I loved IT. I'm one of the few, but I love love love that film!

Wario54
Regular Boarder

Wario54

Online No
Level 13
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 69
Location NYC, USA

2 years ago
I love horror films! And I have since I was a little kid and Chucky the doll kept me up at night. Some of my favorite horror films are Asian (though they do have some repetitive motifs, for ex- super long hair)- Shutter, A Tale of Two Sisters, and Ju-on 2 are a few of my favorites.
mintbunny (2 years ago) I loved IT. I'm one of the few, but I love love love that film!
Also loved IT. Pennywise was one creepy clown.

Cupcakez89
The quiet one
Very Important Boarder

Cupcakez89

Online No
Level 19
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 251
Location Wyoming

2 years ago
I also really enjoy horror movies ^_^ I started watching them with my grandpa when I was really little, mainly movies like Nightmare on Elm Street and Child's Play(which terrified me as a kid lol) I love zombie movies, also I'm somewhat of a gorehound. I don't think I can list off my favorites(there's too many!) But I will say one of my tops, Suspiria! That movie made me terrified to look outside my window at night, thanks to the opening scene. I really enjoyed the visual and musical style the movie took, plus it's a really interesting movie :)
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/tatamook/7067e1b8227183c95b82efb9cfebf4bf_zps0fe31e45.gif

CinnamonSwirls
Regular Boarder

CinnamonSwirls

Online Yes
Level 17
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 73
Location Canada

1 year ago
Ah, horror flicks. I watch a lot of the western horror films though. I've seen some Japanese films, but usually I enjoy Japanese horror manga much more. I am a big fan of all things zombie-related. I love cheesy horror films as well- like Army of Darkness and Evil Dead. Basically I love anything and everything that has to do with horror. I love gore. I love psychological horror. Thrillers. Etcetera, etcetera...
The only thing that disturbs me in horror movies is the concept of the devil. For some reason, even if the movie is not scary itself, that concept rather startles me. It might be because I am a little religious (not really, but I do believe in something).

Anyways, I was actually wondering if anyone has watched the new remake of "Evil Dead"?
What do you think of it?

I found it a fun movie to watch actually. Some parts were so cheesy and great, haha. Some parts were a bit creepy and entertaining. Overall, I enjoyed it and I haven't been entertained by a proper horror film in a long time. I was starting to lose hope after I watched "The Possession" and "Sinister". *Sigh* what have horror films come to now?

Cupcakez89
The quiet one
Very Important Boarder

Cupcakez89

Online No
Level 19
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 251
Location Wyoming

1 year ago
I went to see the new Evil Dead last week. I loved it, I thought it was probably one of the better remakes I've seen in a long time. The use of organic special effects(for the most part) was refreshing, and I really enjoyed the over the top gore and violence. Also it was nice to see small nods to the original in the camerawork and etc. I just want to kick myself in the ass for not staying after the credits :(
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/tatamook/7067e1b8227183c95b82efb9cfebf4bf_zps0fe31e45.gif

CinnamonSwirls
Regular Boarder

CinnamonSwirls

Online Yes
Level 17
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 73
Location Canada

1 year ago
Cupcakez89 (1 year ago)I went to see the new Evil Dead last week. I loved it, I thought it was probably one of the better remakes I've seen in a long time. The use of organic special effects(for the most part) was refreshing, and I really enjoyed the over the top gore and violence. Also it was nice to see small nods to the original in the camerawork and etc. I just want to kick myself in the ass for not staying after the credits :(

That's awesome!
View spoilerHide spoilerI felt like the only thing that lacked was the characters. I really didn't like any of them. Honestly, when most of them died, I really didn't care. It was especially funny when that one girl cut off her arm and was like "Ah. That felt good". It was just. Great.

As for the credits...I will not say a word about what happens afterwards. I really don't want to give out too many spoilers >.<

I think that Evil Dead was definitely a good re-make of the original, but obviously- the original is the best. Hands down.

Cupcakez89
The quiet one
Very Important Boarder

Cupcakez89

Online No
Level 19
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 251
Location Wyoming

1 year ago
As far as the characters go...
View spoilerHide spoilerI kinda felt the same way, I didn't become attached to any of the characters, mainly because I already knew most of them were going to die anyways lol. Though I gotta say, the guy with the glasses really got it the worst. I haven't seen a character get that messed up in a movie in a long time.

CinnamonSwirls
Regular Boarder

CinnamonSwirls

Online Yes
Level 17
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 73
Location Canada

1 year ago
Cupcakez89 (1 year ago)As far as the characters go...
View spoilerHide spoilerI kinda felt the same way, I didn't become attached to any of the characters, mainly because I already knew most of them were going to die anyways lol. Though I gotta say, the guy with the glasses really got it the worst. I haven't seen a character get that messed up in a movie in a long time.

View spoilerHide spoilerBoy, that guy with the glasses was the only character I kind of felt sorry for, but at the same time he kind of deserved it. When you find a book written in the blood of sacrificed humans, with goats all over it and bound with human flesh- you do not proceed to even touch that thing. But, no, he reads it and even when it says "DO NOT READ THIS BOOK ALOUD" "CLOSE THIS BOOK NOW" "DO NOT GO FURTHER". What does he do? He reads it out loud. For a professor, he was a dumbass.

Anyways, sorry for all the "spoiler" buttons, haha.
I have another question. What is the worst horror movie anyone has ever watched?

For me, it definetly HAS to be "The Possession". Terrible. Just bloody terrible. The story was interesting, but they could have done soooo much better. The characters sucked. The only part that scared me was when literally a book flew across the room and made an unnatural slamming noise- which I did not expect from a book being tossed. Damn. It was a terrible movie.

Wario54
Regular Boarder

Wario54

Online No
Level 13
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 69
Location NYC, USA

11 months ago
I recently watched Hansel and Gretel (Korean). A few parts creeped me out but I was watching it more for the story/mystery; definitely don't expect to be scared by it if you're a horror movie vet. I did love it though, it's one of the best horror movies I've seen in a while. The cinematography and acting is also top-notch. If you enjoy dark fairy tales, definitely try it out on Netflix before they take it down.

As for worst horror movie? A lot of the American ones. Do I have to choose? XP The Eye, The Ring, and Shutter were okay, but that's only because they were based on foreign material. Hollywood even manages to ruin those sometimes. However, I'm not saying Asian horror is perfect. I only prefer it because they try with the story. Recent American horror can be summed up in three words: boring, predictable, unoriginal. I was just in awe during Insidious. The way it exploited Tiny Tim's hilarious song was just way overdone, especially toward the end. But I guess the Devil just likes to jam to Tiptoe through the Tulips.

Geez, Cinnamon, our tastes are really different, huh? O: I hate gory movies! Saw was probably one of my worst experiences with horror. Gore is basically a no-no for me...Let's see, what Western flicks did I like? Blair Witch Project, Fragile, The Fourth Kind (because aliens exist!!), Haunting in Connecticut was okay, Paranormal Activity was okay...All I can think of off the top of my head. I was thoroughly bored watching some of the classics, like The Exorcist and Candyman. The Shining also sucked. Now twins are creepy all of a sudden? That offends me! XD But seriously, the book was miles better.

I also don't like watching cheesy horror movies. They can be a little cheesy but if their cheesiness gets to the point of silliness...No. I don't watch horror movies to laugh. One last thing: Korean > Japanese. Japanese ones like Ringu, Ju-on, and Pulse tend to be overrated. All my opinion. Whether you think a horror movie is bad or good all depends on preference I guess.

Wow, that's a long post. In my defense, I haven't posted here in a while. ._.' Anybody else here as interested in Asian horror as me or am I alone? T_T

ILoveWammy
Regular Boarder

ILoveWammy

Online No
Level 17
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 223
Location Elmo's Wo...

11 months ago
I absolutely adore the Scream movies. Definitely my favorite horror movie series, and probably one of my top favorite movie series of all time. My personal favorite is the fourth, but they are all great.

My least favorite horror films are probably the Friday the 13th ones. Kinda boring?
http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/ILoveWammy/sign.png

Wario54
Regular Boarder

Wario54

Online No
Level 13
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 69
Location NYC, USA

9 months ago
I watched Noroi: The Curse recently and I loved it, it has to be one of the best horror movies that I've seen. I especially loved how it relied on the viewer to make connections through the footage and drew most of its scares from that, rather than cheap scares or something cliche like a vengeful ghost with long black hair. The plot is also intriguing and surprisingly complex. I'll stop there because I don't want to spoil it, but I really recommend it!

Top ↑

Join the club to join the discussion.