Figure Site and Shop ForumFigure Site and Shop ForumThis club is for discussion and shop & site related questions.

coladary
Regular Boarder

coladary

Online No
Level 7
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 12
Location New Jerse...

3 months ago
AstoriaMercury (3 months ago) #24971065Is it just me, or do proxy services have a low success rate with Otamart? I tried buying two things via FromJapan. The first time they sold out and I was given a refund. Now it looks like it'll be the same for the second item since it's now been nearly two weeks...
I've ordered seven items so far from Otamart, and 6/7 of them were able to be bought. Success rate may depend on multiple factors, such as popularity of the item, how fast your proxy is, if the seller is even still active on the site, if the listing was supposed to be taken down but wasn't, etc. Sorry about the past couple of busts; hopefully future tries will be more successful!

fuwacchi
Regular Boarder

fuwacchi

Online No
Level 17
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 22
Location Malaysia

3 months ago
hello there! I have been buying from otamart using forwarding service for months and I would like to block some racist sellers on the site! anyone knows how to block sellers on otamart?

Some of them could be really racist and I want to make sure I don't buy from them anymore

Thank you!

UPDATE: it's alright now. Thanks!
Updated 3 months ago #25060496

kwanyeung20
Regular Boarder

kwanyeung20

Online No
Level 2
Joined 3 months ago
Post(s) 3

3 months ago
fuwacchi (3 months ago) #25060496hello there! I have been buying from otamart using forwarding service for months and I would like to block some racist sellers on the site! anyone knows how to block sellers on otamart?

Some of them could be really racist and I want to make sure I don't buy from them anymore

Thank you!

I'm trying to use otamart, but I am worried they don't accept international credit card like yahoo auction. Did you use credit card for payment? Thanks

archyarchy
Regular Boarder

archyarchy

Online No
Level 5
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 1

3 months ago
kwanyeung20 (3 months ago) #25189658fuwacchi (3 months ago) #25060496hello there! I have been buying from otamart using forwarding service for months and I would like to block some racist sellers on the site! anyone knows how to block sellers on otamart?

Thank you!

I'm trying to use otamart, but I am worried they don't accept international credit card like yahoo auction. Did you use credit card for payment? Thanks

I'm not fuwacchi. But I've brought from Otamart using a Japanese forwarding address. By the way, you can block a user by going to the user's profile page, look for the gears menu and then click "このユーザーをブロックする" (Block this user). The person can't contact you and their results won't show up in your searches; [ext link ]

Anyhow, Otamart does accept US Visa / Mastercard cards. It accepted my Paypal Debit Mastercard. It does not accept Paypal without using the card. For those who have forwarders who will pay convenient store payments, Otamart will accept those too.

However the bigger problems with foreigners buying on Otamart isn't the payment but communication issues. A lot of listings require you to leave a comment before buying. Sellers want you to leave a comment, so they can check out your profile. Even after buying, sellers will contact you to see if you understand aspects of the sale before shipping the item. For new or low feedback buyers, sellers will heavily scrutinize your profile information. If a Japanese seller thinks that your Japanese sounds strange ("こちらの日本語がおかしかった"), they will refuse to sell to you, cancel the transaction if you already paid, and if you get reported enough for "strange Japanese" Otamart will ban you. Some sellers will state on their profile, "Will not sale to people who can't understand Japanese properly".

What I learned buying on Otamart market is: Being a successful buyer (Japanese or foreign) on Otamart, relies on having a nicely worded Japanese profile (English or bad Japanese can cause sellers to block you), being able to use and understand basic keigo ("敬語")/ honorific Japanese, reading and follow seller's rules on their profile pages, paying quickly, having a Japanese shipping address (most sellers will refuse to ship outside Japan), and leaving feedback quickly. It also helps if you are a female. I've ran into many sellers who refuse to sell to men; even if the men are Japanese. Some sellers explicitly state on their profile, "Will not sell to men". The funny thing is 9 times out of 10, they were BL sellers.

If you are really interested in buying on Otamart without a proxy, you really have to commit to learning how to use your Japanese appropriately. Using bad Japanese can cause some nervous risk adverse sellers to cancel or block you. The good thing about Otamart is that buyer's/seller's pre-sale comments are public on the app. So you can read and study them to help you communicate better on the site. Also really take the time to create a good short profile. Again, take the time to view other members profiles to get an idea of how to do this. Generally a good profile will list the user's favorite characters/anime/games, the items they like to collect, their payment method, if they are over the age of 20 ( "社会人です",basically means you are a working adult), note how fast they pay (otamart recommends paying within 72 hours), and has a profile banner/avatar pictures.
Updated 3 months ago #25219781

kwanyeung20
Regular Boarder

kwanyeung20

Online No
Level 2
Joined 3 months ago
Post(s) 3

3 months ago
archyarchy (3 months ago) #25219781kwanyeung20 (3 months ago) #25189658fuwacchi (3 months ago) #25060496hello there! I have been buying from otamart using forwarding service for months and I would like to block some racist sellers on the site! anyone knows how to block sellers on otamart?

Thank you!

I'm not fuwacchi. But I've brought from Otamart using a Japanese forwarding address. By the way, you can block a user by going to the user's profile page, look for the gears menu and then click "このユーザーをブロックする" (Block this user). The person can't contact you and their results won't show up in your searches; [ext link ]

Anyhow, Otamart does accept US Visa / Mastercard cards. It accepted my Paypal Debit Mastercard. It does not accept Paypal without using the card. For those who have forwarders who will pay convenient store payments, Otamart will accept those too.

However the bigger problems with foreigners buying on Otamart isn't the payment but communication issues. A lot of listings require you to leave a comment before buying. Sellers want you to leave a comment, so they can check out your profile. Even after buying, sellers will contact you to see if you understand aspects of the sale before shipping the item. For new or low feedback buyers, sellers will heavily scrutinize your profile information. If a Japanese seller thinks that your Japanese sounds strange ("こちらの日本語がおかしかった"), they will refuse to sell to you, cancel the transaction if you already paid, and if you get reported enough for "strange Japanese" Otamart will ban you. Some sellers will state on their profile, "Will not sale to people who can't understand Japanese properly".

What I learned buying on Otamart market is: Being a successful buyer (Japanese or foreign) on Otamart, relies on having a nicely worded Japanese profile (English or bad Japanese can cause sellers to block you), being able to use and understand basic keigo ("敬語")/ honorific Japanese, reading and follow seller's rules on their profile pages, paying quickly, having a Japanese shipping address (most sellers will refuse to ship outside Japan), and leaving feedback quickly. It also helps if you are a female. I've ran into many sellers who refuse to sell to men; even if the men are Japanese. Some sellers explicitly state on their profile, "Will not sell to men". The funny thing is 9 times out of 10, they were BL sellers.

If you are really interested in buying on Otamart without a proxy, you really have to commit to learning how to use your Japanese appropriately. Using bad Japanese can cause some nervous risk adverse sellers to cancel or block you. The good thing about Otamart is that buyer's/seller's pre-sale comments are public on the app. So you can read and study them to help you communicate better on the site. Also really take the time to create a good short profile. Again, take the time to view other members profiles to get an idea of how to do this. Generally a good profile will list the user's favorite characters/anime/games, the items they like to collect, their payment method, if they are over the age of 20 ( "社会人です",basically means you are a working adult), note how fast they pay (otamart recommends paying within 72 hours), and has a profile banner/avatar pictures.

thanks for your detailed review here!
My Japanese is about N2 level and did an internship in Japan so I have written business japanese email before. Theoretically it "should not" be a problem, but it is still very discouraging as my Japanese is nowhere close to perfect. And actually I am just happened to be a fudanshi so your another comment on BL stuff that those fujoshi refused to sell BL stuff to man is also very discouraging. I hope that's not the majority of the sellers out there, but based on your experience I will refrain from using otamart unless I really have to. I mean come on, fujoshi is always complaining that traditional male otaku only likes moe stuff, but now they are judging men who like BL that's just ridiculous
Updated 3 months ago #25226920

xxnickiyxx
Regular Boarder

xxnickiyxx

Online No
Level 14
Joined 6 years ago
Post(s) 201
Location The Nethe...

3 months ago
kwanyeung20 (3 months ago) #25226920thanks for your detailed review here!
My Japanese is about N2 level and did an internship in Japan so I have written business japanese email before. Theoretically it "should not" be a problem, but it is still very discouraging as my Japanese is nowhere close to perfect. And actually I am just happen to be a fudanshi so your another comment on BL stuff that those fujoshi refused to sell BL stuff to man is also very discouraging. I hope that's not the majority of the sellers out there, but based on your experience I will refrain from using otamart unless I really have to. I mean come on, fujoshi is always complaining that traditional male otaku only likes moe stuff, but now they are judging men who like BL that's just ridiculous

Personally I would say that it depends VERY much on the seller. I am barely N5 and my comments are always along the ''こんにちは初めまして。このアイテムを買いたいです。可能ですか?私はプロフィールを読んだ。考慮してくださいよろしくお願いします。'' aka everything but fluent. I've had people immediately create a page for me and I've had people straight out ignore me (While creating pages for other people) Also sellers that suddenly bring up requirements to buy a certain item, that aren't listed in the original sales post. Along the lines of 'I prioritize people that buy more items' on sales posts that haven't had a reply in 3 months. So it can be EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEMLY hit or miss depending on the seller.

It might be interesting to start creating a list of anti-gaijin sellers to avoid? So at least MFC users know who to avoid?

kwanyeung20
Regular Boarder

kwanyeung20

Online No
Level 2
Joined 3 months ago
Post(s) 3

3 months ago
xxnickiyxx (3 months ago) #25246731kwanyeung20 (3 months ago) #25226920thanks for your detailed review here!
My Japanese is about N2 level and did an internship in Japan so I have written business japanese email before. Theoretically it "should not" be a problem, but it is still very discouraging as my Japanese is nowhere close to perfect. And actually I am just happen to be a fudanshi so your another comment on BL stuff that those fujoshi refused to sell BL stuff to man is also very discouraging. I hope that's not the majority of the sellers out there, but based on your experience I will refrain from using otamart unless I really have to. I mean come on, fujoshi is always complaining that traditional male otaku only likes moe stuff, but now they are judging men who like BL that's just ridiculous

Personally I would say that it depends VERY much on the seller. I am barely N5 and my comments are always along the ''こんにちは初めまして。このアイテムを買いたいです。可能ですか?私はプロフィールを読んだ。考慮してくださいよろしくお願いします。'' aka everything but fluent. I've had people immediately create a page for me and I've had people straight out ignore me (While creating pages for other people) Also sellers that suddenly bring up requirements to buy a certain item, that aren't listed in the original sales post. Along the lines of 'I prioritize people that buy more items' on sales posts that haven't had a reply in 3 months. So it can be EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEMLY hit or miss depending on the seller.

It might be interesting to start creating a list of anti-gaijin sellers to avoid? So at least MFC users know who to avoid?

Haha your japanese made my day (jk!) :)
I don't know. I mean personally I understand nobody wants to deal with someone who cannot speak ANY Japanese, but ignoring or even reporting them just because of bad or non-native Japanese sounds very rude to me. But at the end of the day, they do have the freedom to choose whom to sell to, and most Japanese are subtle. The fact that they create additional requirements for you just hints that they do not want to sell it to you without being rude. Ignoring is the worst. It is still discouraging, but hey! thinking it optimistically makes you want to improve your Japanese, so nobody knows you are a gaijin :p

The list is definitely an interesting idea though.
Updated 3 months ago #25252548

yutasfangirl
Regular Boarder

yutasfangirl

Online No
Level 6
Joined 5 months ago
Post(s) 29

3 months ago
So I've recently got a Japanese forwarding address. For filling in the information in Otamart, do I put my English name or my name in Japanese in kanji in the first 2 boxes?
Updated 3 months ago #25576783

moonlight119
Regular Boarder

moonlight119

Online No
Level 16
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 765
Location Philippin...

3 months ago
yutasfangirl (3 months ago) #25576783So I've recently got a Japanese forwarding address. For filling in the information in Otamart, do I put my English name or my name in Japanese in kanji in the first 2 boxes?
I can't remember how I did it the first time (when I registered) but looking at my settings on the app, I have my English name. I think you can put either as long as your forwarder knows or identifies that it's you or that the package is for you.
Updated 3 months ago #25592262

yuu12riku
Regular Boarder

yuu12riku

Online No
Level 16
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 1960
Location Jakarta, ...

2 months ago
Hmm, so everyone with CC beside USA's one can pay through Otamart?
FGO: 575631844/ ゆう

Split List
Feedback
Selling list

teashaped
Regular Boarder

teashaped

Online No
Level 10
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 41
Location UK

25 days ago
Nevermind. I can see my FJ order says Pending, not ordered. :(
Updated 25 days ago #28689978

teashaped
Regular Boarder

teashaped

Online No
Level 10
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 41
Location UK

16 days ago
So I was indecisive about buying something for a week, and the listing was there the whole time, then as soon as I place my order it disappears (not sold out, the link just can't be found). Does that mean the seller just deleted the listing?

Hanako_Yamaguchi
Regular Boarder

Hanako_Yamaguchi

Online No
Level 5
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 1

5 days ago
Has someone had any experience of buying on Otamart without the use of proxy and using a forwarding address? I know a little Japanese and I could try and talk with sellers myself.

yuu12riku
Regular Boarder

yuu12riku

Online No
Level 16
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 1960
Location Jakarta, ...

4 days ago
Hanako_Yamaguchi (5 days ago) #29495071Has someone had any experience of buying on Otamart without the use of proxy and using a forwarding address? I know a little Japanese and I could try and talk with sellers myself.Yep, I've done it several times and it was successful. As long as you comment with keigo and good grammar I think.
FGO: 575631844/ ゆう

Split List
Feedback
Selling list

moonlight119
Regular Boarder

moonlight119

Online No
Level 16
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 765
Location Philippin...

4 days ago
yuu12riku (4 days ago) #29501277Hanako_Yamaguchi (5 days ago) #29495071Has someone had any experience of buying on Otamart without the use of proxy and using a forwarding address? I know a little Japanese and I could try and talk with sellers myself.Yep, I've done it several times and it was successful. As long as you comment with keigo and good grammar I think.I'd also like to add that communication is very important, especially during the transaction. Some sellers would really like for you to reply to each and every updates to them, from the acceptance of your offer to buy until the very earliest delivery of the item. But some sellers are pretty okay with you not replying to them.

I once got an 'ordinary' rating because I didn't reply to the seller once, it was after she told me that she shipped my items. But I did report about receiving it later on and even gave her an 'excellent' rating :\

« Prev   1 2 3 4   Next »

Top ↑

Join the club to join the discussion.