Figure Site and Shop ForumFigure Site and Shop ForumThis club is for discussion and shop & site related questions.

Shikaree
Regular Boarder

Shikaree

Online No
Level 10
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 85
Location United St...

4 months ago
agentmozell (4 months ago) #23556209Guys, if PayPal won't/can't help try talking to your banks if you have an account. Usually they only do up to two months but in cases like this they might make an exception to help you get money back. If anything, it's worth asking.
For a normal purchase, most issuing banks [for credit cards] will give you 120 days to open a dispute. However, for a preorder, you have 90 days from the date when the item is expected to arrive, up to 3 years after date of payment.

You don't have any sort of buyer protection if the money is withdrawn from a checking account. The bank might care about unauthorized transactions, but I don't know if you actually get any protection. Credit card protections stem from actual federal laws that require banks to provide them.

kyokohitaka (4 months ago) #23556295Shikaree (4 months ago) #23556207
If you chargeback PayPal it's possible they will terminate your account. Things get inconvenient.

Thanks for the warning. I actually sent them an e-mail about the orders before the 180 day mark--including a question about a chargeback's affect on my account for this particular situation. I am expecting to be out of that $185, but didn't see the harm in asking. Will post anything here if I get good news.

Sorry I was just copying what I read from other people. After actually reading PayPal's user agreement, it explicitly says you can dispute with your issuing bank and it doesn't mention any penalties.
[ext link ]
Updated 4 months ago #23556372

kyokohitaka
Regular Boarder

kyokohitaka

Online No
Level 6
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 9

4 months ago
Shikaree (4 months ago) #23556372
Sorry I was just copying what I read from other people. After actually reading PayPal's user agreement, it explicitly says you can dispute with your issuing bank and it doesn't mention any penalties.
[ext link ]

Thanks again! I appreciate the link to the user agreement, too. Just saw your edited post. I did the purchase with my Chase CC, so I'm feeling a bit more confident now about getting my money back. Will still post and update here after everything is said and done. Good luck, everyone.
Updated 4 months ago #23556460

adrikyn
Regular Boarder

adrikyn

Online No
Level 20
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 67
Location USA

4 months ago
Shikaree (4 months ago) #23556372
For a normal purchase, most issuing banks [for credit cards] will give you 120 days to open a dispute. However, for a preorder, you have 90 days from the date when the item is expected to arrive, up to 3 years after date of payment.

You don't have any sort of buyer protection if the money is withdrawn from a checking account. The bank might care about unauthorized transactions, but I don't know if you actually get any protection. Credit card protections stem from actual federal laws that require banks to provide them.

I withdrew from checking, so it looks like I'm out of luck orz thanks for the information though! It's for the future, I suppose.

squadz
Regular Boarder

squadz

Online No
Level 3
Joined 4 months ago
Post(s) 1

4 months ago
So weird for people to just accept losing money. That's money you lost that went towards nothing.

For those affected, contact PayPal and do a claim, no matter the time.

If PayPal doesn't help, speak to your credit card company or bank.
Updated 4 months ago #23572408

modernhyrulian
Regular Boarder

modernhyrulian

Online No
Level 6
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 4
Location TX

4 months ago
They've updated the website with more information.

chachachow
je suis gomen
Regular Boarder

chachachow

Online No
Level 10
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 12
Location USA

4 months ago
modernhyrulian (4 months ago) #23576446They've updated the website with more information.

I'll quote it below:

It pains us to say this. Today after 5 years of helping collectors obtain their favorite action figures, statues and collectible goods we will be shutting down MHToyShop. Our number one goal has always been to provide customers with a reputable place to shop for their favorite hobby. After many years of operating at a loss to facilitate customers and with growing competition, difficult vendors, inconsistencies with item releases, merchant account limitations, unpaid customer invoices and increased pricing we can no longer keep the doors open. Our team has worked countless overtime hours to keep things afloat but no matter what we did we could not stop the downward spiral. To make matters worst our website was down for less than 48 hours and customers began to issue chargeback claims at an alarming rate before giving us the ability to explain the outage.

With that said, we'd like to thank all of the thousands of customers that supported us over the years and we hope you find a new shop that facilitates all of your collecting needs like we have or better. If you have any unfulfilled orders with us we will begin issuing customers refunds accordingly with whatever resources we have. To contact us it will need to be through our support email and not any other channels. We no longer own our Ebay, Amazon and social accounts as those were sold to fulfill customers orders. If contacting our support email, please be aware that some emails may go unanswered if your questions have been answered here. We now have limited staff able to fulfill and answer hundreds of order request. Once again, we'd like to thank all of the customers that have supported us over the years and we hope you continue your collecting hobby!

-MHToyShop Team

I'm not sure what will happen to the figures I've already paid for, in full, or my 20% deposits... I've sent them an email requesting some more information on my account. I hope this gets resolved in a neat and timely manner despite the loss :c
Updated 4 months ago #23581335

adrikyn
Regular Boarder

adrikyn

Online No
Level 20
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 67
Location USA

4 months ago
Here's to hoping they go through with actually refunding us, but there's so much in that letter that is just plain sketchy given the circumstances. It's not the website going down that alerted people, it was everything else being deleted first.

Selling those accounts is against the TOS, and they didn't have any reason to delete their social media and quietly take the site down without letting customers know before hand--twitter, facebook, and an announcement on their website would have been the BEST way to let customers know RIGHT AWAY, not deleting everything and leaving a generic message. Any chargebacks are their own poor management of the situation, but honestly, I find it hard to trust their word at this point.

robert18
Regular Boarder

robert18

Online No
Level 11
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 223

4 months ago
Really bad that this happens to them, I would have liked they explain the situation faster to avoid some of the claims.

I hope they overcome this situation. Good luck.

chachachow
je suis gomen
Regular Boarder

chachachow

Online No
Level 10
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 12
Location USA

4 months ago
adrikyn (4 months ago) #23584019Here's to hoping they go through with actually refunding us, but there's so much in that letter that is just plain sketchy given the circumstances. It's not the website going down that alerted people, it was everything else being deleted first.

Selling those accounts is against the TOS, and they didn't have any reason to delete their social media and quietly take the site down without letting customers know before hand--twitter, facebook, and an announcement on their website would have been the BEST way to let customers know RIGHT AWAY, not deleting everything and leaving a generic message. Any chargebacks are their own poor management of the situation, but honestly, I find it hard to trust their word at this point.

I had approximately (if I documented everything properly) 15 figures on preorder, half paid and half waiting for invoices, and I'm out $730 at the very least :( I don't know if I should proceed with trying chargebacks where I'm able or negotiating PayPal claims--or wait for an official response on whether I'm getting a refund...

adrikyn
Regular Boarder

adrikyn

Online No
Level 20
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 67
Location USA

4 months ago
chachachow (4 months ago) #23584515adrikyn (4 months ago) #23584019Here's to hoping they go through with actually refunding us, but there's so much in that letter that is just plain sketchy given the circumstances. It's not the website going down that alerted people, it was everything else being deleted first.

I had approximately (if I documented everything properly) 15 figures on preorder, half paid and half waiting for invoices, and I'm out $730 at the very least :( I don't know if I should proceed with trying chargebacks where I'm able or negotiating PayPal claims--or wait for an official response on whether I'm getting a refund...

I would see how much time you have left to initiate chargebacks/claims on your orders and just make sure not to wait so long you'll go over those deadlines.

kirara19
Regular Boarder

kirara19

Online No
Level 5
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 3
Location United St...

4 months ago
I filled a PayPal claim, if that doesn't work I will try at my bank, I do not think that is gonna work because I used my debit card for the transaction but I do not lose anything for trying. Also as a last resource, since MH toy shop address is from beverly hills, CA. If you live in California like me you may try filling a complaint at the consumer protection agency, Better business Bureau, or/and the Federal trade commission
Edit: prior to all of this I contacted them on jube 27th because an order that was marked as "shipped" but the usps link said no package was sent through them.they were supposed to send it on june 14th, they asked me for 2 more weeks to find my "lost order" and they promised a refund, on july 11th I tried to contact them again with no reply from them, their fb page was still active that day. It was until july 16th that I realized they deleted everything on social media and their official shop and I send a couple emails to their support email with no reply from them again. I am almost sure they are trying to run away with the money after all the evidence around, they could have handle the situation in a more professional manner just by posting a message in their social media that the web page was not working properly but they deleted everything the same day
Updated 4 months ago #23592265

XShipper
Regular Boarder

XShipper

Online No
Level 14
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 15
Location Saiunkoku

4 months ago
Oh my... I really trusted this shop :/ glad that I have only one 20% deposit PO with them at the moment. I still have a time to open a claim but hope they'll refund it on their own.
Guys who already opened a claim or contacted them! Please keep us informed.
Updated 4 months ago #23592406

Popnfresh98
Regular Boarder

Popnfresh98

Online No
Level 3
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 16

4 months ago
I also have over $300 worth in preorder deposits paid. Very sudden. Some of these stretch back to last august so I may be screwed as PayPal nor CC will go back that far. What do you guys think are the chances of them refunding it? Their wording is very... Non committal. Those of you with preorders will be refunded as 'resources allow.' Do they mean with their shrunken down staff? Or in terms of a trickle of funds..? It's very up in the air. They have been emailed requesting info, but let's see.

I will never go with another down payment shop again after this, too risky.
Updated 4 months ago #23594422

Shikaree
Regular Boarder

Shikaree

Online No
Level 10
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 85
Location United St...

4 months ago
We need to close our store. We have a bunch of free social media accounts, whose purpose is to communicate to customers with. I wonder what we should do... Oh yeah, let's close them all!

They decided to close their web site, Instagram, Twitter, everything else, changed the name on Amazon and eBay stores, and maybe even closed their PayPal account. All without a single notice. If it wasn't intentionally deceptive, then it was just plain stupid. All it took was a single message, ANYWHERE, to explain the situation.

100% their own fault they got hit with disputes.
Updated 4 months ago #23595528

shimp92
Regular Boarder

shimp92

Online No
Level 8
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 74
Location USA

4 months ago
I had 2 orders for 6 figures, 2 of them were already in stock waiting for one more figure to get the free shipping. I've emailed them about that and hope to get an answer, if not I'll have to file the claim soon. It's sad that this happened to them but it's very disappointing the way they handled it.

Popnfresh98 (4 months ago) #23594422What do you guys think are the chances of them refunding it? Their wording is very... Non committal. Those of you with preorders will be refunded as 'resources allow.' Do they mean with their shrunken down staff? Or in terms of a trickle of funds..? It's very up in the air. They have been emailed requesting info, but let's see.
The way they worded it sounds like they would do partial refunds. Something similar happened at work, one company was supposed to pay for a job done and when we contacted them the owner said they went bankrupt and that they didn't have a cent. Told us to contact their insurance, the insurance said that they were taking claims until a certain date and form then they will see the total amount and check if his insurance covered it, if not they would have to partially pay all companies. I really hope that's not the case here.

adrikyn
Regular Boarder

adrikyn

Online No
Level 20
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 67
Location USA

4 months ago
Does anybody know how to contact Paypal directly? Their search function just comes up blank for me, when I click "call customer support" I just get nothing, and the number I found to call doesn't let you speak to a person :/

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently adblock was making the help section not work for some reason.
Updated 4 months ago #23597892

chachachow
je suis gomen
Regular Boarder

chachachow

Online No
Level 10
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 12
Location USA

4 months ago
XShipper (4 months ago) #23592406Oh my... I really trusted this shop :/ glad that I have only one 20% deposit PO with them at the moment. I still have a time to open a claim but hope they'll refund it on their own.

I forgot that I actually have 19 documented preorders with them orz (on my side, anyway, since I can't look at my MH account anymore) /royally screwed/ Just for my own sake I put in claims for 7 PayPal payments (I may have to just eat the giant bill for the rest). I'll update when I get updates ;n;
Updated 4 months ago #23599186

goliathfasa
Regular Boarder

goliathfasa

Online No
Level 10
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 1

4 months ago
Well this is... sudden, to say the least.

Though it always seemed too good to be true. They've always been a rather Japan-centric US shop, never dabbling in domestic figures, and their selection has always been rather random, going all-in offering certain lines, while not picking up others.

Yet they've consistently been offering some of the lowest prices I've seen on select figures, which combined with $140+ free shipping, you kind of wonder how they're making money sometimes.

Turns out they're not.

Then you have BBTS offering the same figma/figuarts/nendos/scales selections, but at $10+ markups, and no free shipping, yet people buy from them more, due to the zero down payment and the fact that they're just BIGGER - WAY bigger.

A shame, really.

Anyways, I only have $40 in deposits with them, so I'm not too personally worried. I might just ignore it, since I really did enjoy buying from them. But, hopefully everyone can get their deposits sorted out.
no treble
Updated 4 months ago #23599535

chachachow
je suis gomen
Regular Boarder

chachachow

Online No
Level 10
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 12
Location USA

4 months ago
chachachow (4 months ago) #23599186XShipper (4 months ago) #23592406Oh my... I really trusted this shop :/ glad that I have only one 20% deposit PO with them at the moment. I still have a time to open a claim but hope they'll refund it on their own.

I forgot that I actually have 19* documented preorders with them orz (on my side, anyway, since I can't look at my MH account anymore) /royally screwed/ Just for my own sake I put in claims for 7 PayPal payments (I may have to just eat the giant bill for the rest). I'll update when I get updates ;n;

EDIT: 19 preorders...
EDIT 2: er, I didn't mean to quote myself into a new comment. Can someone delete this one?
Updated 4 months ago #23599623

jesuspiece
Regular Boarder

jesuspiece

Online No
Level 5
Joined 11 months ago
Post(s) 2

4 months ago
Welp now knowing that they are officially out of business I guess its time to file a claim for my two PO's I had. I also had an order that says it has already been shipped and is expected to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it does arrive. Thanks for the info guys

« Prev   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12   Next »

Top ↑

Join the club to join the discussion.