Regular Boarder

MsNix

Online No
Level 16
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 92
Location Albion, V...

2 years ago
I would like to make a Melbourne based MFC club, to hopefully one day (in the near future) have meet ups for bbq's or convention meet ups. It would be great for us figure collectors to become friends and do day trips to meet in the city, have lunch, shop and browse stores for our love of figures and anime and everything in between :) maybe even possibly go on Overseas adventures to the holy land of Japan :D how cool would that be!?

Fell free to Introduce yourself, where you are from, and anything else you would like to add :D

My name is Nicole but please, call me Nix ;). I am 33 but no one would guess that(act and feel A LOT younger haha),live in North Melbourne and love all sorts of anime, games, music(kpop being a massive influence on me right now - don't hate me lol) and yeah, feel free to FR and hopefully we can meet up one day ^_^

Risayla
◔‸◔
Regular Boarder

Risayla

Online No
Level 19
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 254
Location Australia

2 years ago
I live nowhere near any cities :/ but good luck, I'm sure you will find some nice Melbourne based people, I'm pretty sure there are a few around that I've seen around here. ^^
If I haven't confirmed/dropped any slots in your G/O please send me a message as I may have forgotten about it.
Thank you. ^o^

MsNix
Regular Boarder

MsNix

Online No
Level 16
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 92
Location Albion, V...

2 years ago
Risayla (2 years ago)I live nowhere near any cities :/ but good luck, I'm sure you will find some nice Melbourne based people, I'm pretty sure there are a few around that I've seen around here. ^^yep there are a few :) but even if you are in rural Victoria and find yourself heading to a convention like manifest etc there might be a bunch of us going and we can meet up and go together or at the venue and hang out. Totally laid back, come and go, just say hi and put a face to a name and move on(or hang out all day). All good :D
Updated 2 years ago #1076554

Asako
Om nom nom
Regular Boarder

Asako

Online No
Level 17
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 167
Location Australia

2 years ago
I've lived in Victoria for five years, and only been to Melbourne twice, because I had no other choice. If I lived in Melbourne I'd consider conventions, and even collector get-togethers, but I'm not driving 4-5 hours for them. :| Sounds fun for people who live in or very near the city, though.

MsNix
Regular Boarder

MsNix

Online No
Level 16
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 92
Location Albion, V...

2 years ago
Asako (2 years ago)I've lived in Victoria for five years, and only been to Melbourne twice, because I had no other choice. If I lived in Melbourne I'd consider conventions, and even collector get-togethers, but I'm not driving 4-5 hours for them. :| Sounds fun for people who live in or very near the city, though.put it this way, if nothing else we can find like minded ppl(on MFC) who weren't friends before now and add.
I do not by any means mean to outcast ppl but obviously if living closer to Melb/outer suburbs it is good for what I am thinking. Even ppl from other states who are visiting by all means let us know as you never know who might be about for lunch, dinner, a drink or what not :)
Updated 2 years ago #1076723

figureitout
Regular Boarder

figureitout

Online No
Level 12
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 24
Location Melbourne...

2 years ago
yay melbourne. most liveable city in the world (when it's not raining all the time).

i think you bought saber lily off me on ebay about 2 years ago MsNix

MsNix
Regular Boarder

MsNix

Online No
Level 16
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 92
Location Albion, V...

2 years ago
figureitout (2 years ago)yay melbourne. most liveable city in the world (when it's not raining all the time).

i think you bought saber lily off me on ebay about 2 years ago MsNix

oh my gosh!! (checked emails - INDEED!)what a small world. I adore that figure so much and Yes she is still one of my favs and still is with me :D I notice your sales a lot just wish I could buy more from you. I have put a halt to my spending for the rest of the year, unless there is something I have been hunting for that I just can't bare to go with out. ^_^ wow I'm a little blown away I had no idea we had already had a transaction, and 2 years ago.

And yes, how cold is it these last few days! Love catching the tram in such weather -_____- not! haha

ebchman
Regular Boarder

ebchman

Online No
Level 17
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 16
Location Melbourne...

2 years ago
Hello all.. Hi Nix!
Another Melb collector here. Been collecting for 4 years. Living in Southbank area.
Not comfortable with giving away my age :p but I'm not that old, i do feel old sometimes though XD

Seconded OP's idea for a meet up :D Would be awesome if further down the line, we can all go to Japan together..
Drop me a FR or comment on my profile, happy to chat with more Aussie collectors (esp. Melb based)

Cheers
Updated 2 years ago #1084450

Luzai
Regular Boarder

Luzai

Online No
Level 14
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 66
Location Melbourne...

2 years ago
Hey guys, we're (we being my boyfriend and I, lol) collectors living in the Malvern area.
Both in our mid to late twenties, huge nerds, etc etc. A meet up would be really neat, would love to hang out with other collectors. :)

destinytsubasa
Regular Boarder

destinytsubasa

Online No
Level 7
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 27
Location Melbourne...

2 years ago
Hi all. Been in Melbourne for 4 years. Collecting figures on the other hand still relatively new. (3 months in) XD Great to meet you all. Liking the idea of a meet up now and then. Feel free to comment or send a FR. Nice to meet you all. :)

PS: @figureitout: lol not the only one who bought a saber lily from you. haha.

MsNix
Regular Boarder

MsNix

Online No
Level 16
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 92
Location Albion, V...

2 years ago
YAY Nice work everyone and Welcome ^_^

lol @destinytsubasa on the Lily comment - great minds!

Hello Luzai we have been friends on the board for a while but I don't think we have spoken much. Great to see a figure collecting couple.

HEhe @ebchman yes indeed, I know mentioning a trip to Japan is quite a big statement but you never know hey! And for those who like to live on the edge, there are always some sort of sales to Japan with jetstar going on (like right now - something like $548 return, so very do-able, just gotta make sure we can pay our pre-orders and sort out the post office while away like I will need to do when I head to Japan in October)

Do we all visit the city on a reg basis for work or anime/figure collecting/browsing purposes?
I work in the city, a pretty hectic roster that sees me travelling all hours of the day. I wonder If I have seen any of you on a tram or walking the streets and had no idea it was you?

destinytsubasa
Regular Boarder

destinytsubasa

Online No
Level 7
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 27
Location Melbourne...

2 years ago
I live in the city so that may be a possibility. Haha. Really liking the whole Japan trip @ebchman. It would be a real treat for me. XD

ebchman
Regular Boarder

ebchman

Online No
Level 17
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 16
Location Melbourne...

2 years ago
@MsNix, @destinytsubasa, @Luzai, @figureitout, @Risayla, @Asako: I've FR-ed all of you :)

When I started collecting, I used to visit Ozanimart (Lt. Bourke St), Minotaur (Elizabeth St) and One Stop Anime (Tivoli Arcade) once a week for figure shopping/browsing before I have my CC and PayPal. Not so much now.. If I happen to go to the city and have some spare time, I might drop by those shops to see what's up.
Have you guys been to those shops above? I was wondering if there are any other figure shops in the CBD?

Never been to Japan. I'd really love to go (preferably by next year) and if I can go with someone who's traveled there before (and also a fellow collector), it'd be really awesome.
I can't remember where but I think I've read that fellas from Tamarket/Ozanimart? were going as a group to WonFes and such on their trip to Japan. Would love to try this.
Anyway, it'd be nice to meet up with everyone so next time we pass each other on the street, I can say hi :D
I've met figureitout when I pick up Dead Master PVC from him in person last month :)
Updated 2 years ago #1085041

Asako
Om nom nom
Regular Boarder

Asako

Online No
Level 17
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 167
Location Australia

2 years ago
When I went to the Royal Dental Hospital earlier this year, I found a figure shop (mostly gunpla though) on Grattan street, but it had tons of bootleg stuff, so I didn't want to buy anything. Even if some is legit, the fact they sell so many bootlegs... no thanks.

figureitout
Regular Boarder

figureitout

Online No
Level 12
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 24
Location Melbourne...

2 years ago
MsNix (2 years ago)
oh my gosh!! (checked emails - INDEED!)what a small world. I adore that figure so much and Yes she is still one of my favs and still is with me :D I notice your sales a lot just wish I could buy more from you. I have put a halt to my spending for the rest of the year, unless there is something I have been hunting for that I just can't bare to go with out. ^_^ wow I'm a little blown away I had no idea we had already had a transaction, and 2 years ago.

And yes, how cold is it these last few days! Love catching the tram in such weather -_____- not! haha

yah saber lily was my first figure and i ordered two because i wanted to save on shipping, and you're right she's still as awesome as anything that's been released since :P
lol yeah i bump my sales every month so if you have something on your wishlist that i'm selling most likely you'll receive a lot of spam from me

never been shopping at a physical store in melb. been into minotaur for a quick look but their fig prices are ridiculous, which i suspect is the case for most anime stores in australia. i've been to kinokuniya while in sydney and they sell a huge range of manga, hobby magazines etc but no figures these days.

i've met both destinytsubasa and ebchman (very briefly) in person. wouldn't mind group catchup in the city, isn't there a maid cafe around somewhere? that would be a fitting setting for a meet lol

destinytsubasa
Regular Boarder

destinytsubasa

Online No
Level 7
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 27
Location Melbourne...

2 years ago
There really isn't many trustworthy figure shop in Melbourne. @Asako: yea the shop on grattan does sell a lot of bootleg. >.< @figureitout: 3 ppl here that you've already met. haha. your shop items are really tempting my wallet. XD

MsNix
Regular Boarder

MsNix

Online No
Level 16
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 92
Location Albion, V...

2 years ago
figureitout (2 years ago)isn't there a maid cafe around somewhere? that would be a fitting setting for a meet lol
Yes there is,(ext link) and FB (ext link) held on Sundays, and I think this is a great suggestion, it can be like a scene from Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai encyclopedia #391 (they do a meet up in an Akihabara maid cafe)teehee. I think a perfect time for me would be one of the weekends I get back from Japan so I can share all the stuff I got up to (note - this will be in like late November lol)

As for figure shops, I think I have visited all of them that are around Melbourne, it's just good every now and then to see the figures IRL but I hardly ever visit now a days as I buy everything on-line and cheaper than I can get from a Australian physical store most of the time. I check the sales pages of Melbourne and Aust based stores on the off chance there is something on sale haha I did come across this store (ext link) and nearly fell out of my seat on how much they were charging for Saber Motored Cuirassier ("Special Order Price $349"), and Guilty Crown: Inori Yuzuriha RRP: $229.95 Special Order Price $149.95 - WOW!!

Asako
Om nom nom
Regular Boarder

Asako

Online No
Level 17
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 167
Location Australia

2 years ago
Huh neat. I can't see it working too brilliantly in AU, but I guess just one day a week is manageable. Definitely not gonna have the clientele to support full time opening hours. Still, not my scene. Not that I can readily get to Melbourne anyway. While I do have access to Red Cross transport, it's supposed to be used for medical appointments, not sure they'd appreciate being asked to take me to a maid cafe.

If people do end up meeting/going, try to get some pics (if they allow you to. Maybe contact them to book and ask for the ability to take cameras for the social event?).

MsNix
Regular Boarder

MsNix

Online No
Level 16
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 92
Location Albion, V...

2 years ago
Asako (2 years ago)While I do have access to Red Cross transport, it's supposed to be used for medical appointments, not sure they'd appreciate being asked to take me to a maid cafe.If people do end up meeting/going, try to get some pics (if they allow you to. Maybe contact them to book and ask for the ability to take cameras for the social event?).

LOL!!! Blood noses anyone!? haha yeah it's not something I hunt down but it would be fun and different and I think they have Butlers as well (squee) and def photos, even if outside the place of the group that end up meeting up :D

Mooks
Regular Boarder

Mooks

Online No
Level 8
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 12
Location Melbourne...

2 years ago
Hi everyone,
My name's Marcus but my friends call me Mark. I've been living in Melbourne pretty much all my life and am currently situated in St Albans. I've been buying figures on and off for about 5 years now. Figures that interest me most are characters from Type-Moon. I also like buying Figuarts of my favourite Kamen Riders.
I look forward to networking with everyone.
Updated 2 years ago #1090651

« Prev   1 2   Next »

Top ↑

Join the club to join the discussion.