Doujinshi ClubDoujinshi ClubA club for all those who love and collect doujins.

desolato
Regular Boarder + Ghost

desolato

Online No
Level 21
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 179

2 years ago
Since this seems to be the place where all the dedicated doujinshi collectors have gathered, I thought it might be a good thing to exchange thoughts on what everyone thinks is the best proxy to use when buying our lovelies~~

Also, what are your most important reasons for picking a proxy? The cheapest fees, the longest holding time, multiple shipping options or simply the option to underdeclare an invoice? Or are you loaded and therefore have the freedom the pick the most reliable one?

When I started buying from toranoana/melonbooks etc., I mostly used Yokatta Service, but deemed them to be too expensive, so after 'extensive research', I ended up at Treasure Japan, who hasn't disappointed me as of yet :)
Guarda, forse accanto a te c'è un angelo.
All your Kyubey are belong to me~~
Updated 2 years ago #999410

Hexin
tsuntsun
Regular Boarder

Hexin

Online No
Level 10
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 134
Location United St...

2 years ago
I used Treasure Japan too for my last Toranoana purchase. Fees are pretty high for a single doujinshi, but oh well. Other than that, for Toranoana I like the group buys here, nice to split the fees.

I've started using Fromjapan for YJA lately, and they are aaawesome. Fees are low, tons of shipping options. It would make me so happy if they let us buy NSFW stuff too~. For those I've been using Shopping Mall Japan for the last few years, even though they have a ton of extra fees. 100 yen doujinshi always ends up costing me ~$15 with them. I'm really just with them because I'm used to them, along with being unable to find anyone cheaper for low priced items.

Price is definitely number one for me when it comes to choosing proxies. Everyone always seems to have extra fees that end up costing me the same at every proxy. Except Fromjapan, but then, they're limited too. Ah, if only we could buy stuff without middlemen.

Suzu
Regular Boarder + Ghost

Suzu

Online No
Level 24
Joined 6 years ago
Post(s) 892
Location France

2 years ago
My first experience was with the proxy service of MioBoutique ((ext link)) though it was 1 year ago I think...
It was a good experience; I bought items from 2 different stores and they charged me handling fees only once rather than one per order. I got a detailed spreadsheet with what it cost me and the price of each shipping method available so I could compare everything. Everything was packed with care and the package was sent as a gift + undervalued.
Then I wanted to pre-order some straps from Toranoana and sent them a request; they put them on order on their site rather than the proxy service and when I told them it was much more expensive than what it would have cost via their proxy service even with the most expensive shipping from Toranoana they told me I could go elsewhere if I didn't like the price...

So that's what I did -_- (finally pre-ordered them with a group order via the LSB club)

Next order I went through Yokatta ((ext link)). The items were a R18 doujin book, a strap and a plush, but it was nicely packed and the book didn't suffer at all. Undervalued and sent as gift too. Only downside is that the flat 700 yens if only for 3 or less items if I remember correctly.

And last I used Treasure Japan ((ext link)) because the LSB club was happy with it. 4th order is on it's way =)
I like their cart system, it's pretty neat. Everything was always packed with great care and came without a single wear on the doujin books, even when there were sharper items combined. Recently they've stopped putting undervalue but still mark packages as gifts. I'll have to see if it pass through customs or if I'll need another proxy...

I had thought about using FromJapan ((ext link)) some time ago but despite having the paypal logo on their site they wouldn't allow a deposit to be made via PayPal. It may have changed now? There was a discussion in the Middlemen thread (Figure shop and site review club : (mfc link)) some time ago and some user posted part of their invoice, I admit I don't like these :
dymitr③ Pending system usage fee of Charge1 ¥0
④ Excess charge ¥500
⑤ Tax ( Charge1 ) ¥0
⑥ Surcharge ¥0

because there isn't much infos on the website -or I failed to find them.

HexinAh, if only we could buy stuff without middlemen.
This. ^_^

(BTW there's the store White Canvas ((ext link)) that ships worldwide, but EMS only and with an extra 1000 yens fee so it can't even be an alternative to middlemen -_- )
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz38/Susuzu/MSsign/Keine3copy.png
Original illustration made by Vivit Gray.
Updated 2 years ago #1004136

hamsterfactor
Regular Boarder

hamsterfactor

Online No
Level 16
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 18
Location Spain

2 years ago
I used Shopping Mall Japan until a bit ago, but it wasn't cheap and lately I had caught them making mistakes (?) in my invoices - asking me for more money than they should. So yeah :/

So now I use Treasure Japan, which is cheaper and I find the people behind it really helpful. I've been able to buy from circle websites and even order special limited edition items at Animate, so I'm really happy with them at the moment :)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d39/earthstoodstupid/roytachi.gif

piratepapillon
Very Important Boarder

piratepapillon

Online No
Level 19
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 429
Location Canada

2 years ago
I answered on the club front but I'll put it here also. I use Treasure Japan and just love their service. I highly recommend them.

Spizzy
Regular Boarder

Spizzy

Online No
Level 17
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 1859
Location Texas

2 years ago
also use treasure japan and love the service which is why I recommend them to everyone XD They've been really good about handling the $1000+ orders I've made with them for the group orders and the way their cart system works makes it really good for large quantity orders (I think my largest was 64 items from one shop and they didn't miss a one!). They don't offer real time bidding but as long as you send the order in before midnight central time on a weekday (or going into a weekday) they usually can put a bid in right away around 1 AM and will even try to snipe bid for you if you ask them to. I don't know if Nahoko is the one that packs the things up but someone there is a TETRIS MASTER. I've only had very minor outer carton damage in any shipment I've gotten, all the books come in excellent condition every time. Just love them love them. They seem to also have some of the best rates for large orders (10% over 10k yen).

I used shopping mall japan for an auction since TJ was down at one point. The deposit system kind of threw me off and they took a while to get back to my questions after I got a late payment notice that they never invoiced me for but it got sorted out. I had to ask them two or three times to give me back my deposit and paypal took a fee chunk out of it when they finally did =\ and then okuu got a rerelease date so it was all for naught OTL. It was kind of nice that they stored my okuu in the US but I imagine for anyone not in the US, that would actually be more of an inconvenience, since they didn't even ask about my preference. Glad treasure japan is back is all I can say XD; looking for other proxy services was a pain and disheartening.

Pawpee
Regular Boarder

Pawpee

Online No
Level 11
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 11

2 years ago
finally got my first order from Shopping Mall Japan.
ordered 3 glass cups. I'm not sure if SMJ repacks items, but whatever they did from the seller to me worked out. best packaging I've seen coming from overseas. their ordering process is pretty smooth too. wish they had a bigger notice on their site for whenever your invoice was sent out though. completely forgot about my order and had some problems paying. technically should have paid the late fee but they waived it considering it was mostly a paypal issue.

so the goods came in fine, but their fees really blow. apparently they're much better when you're ordering a single, big ticket item. paying almost $40 extra for a 500 yen set of cups wasn't what I was expecting at all, especially when the seller used the cheapest shipping. I'd use SMJ again though if I wanted something rare n' expensive. the real time (mostly lmao) bidding is addicting.

planning on using Treasure Japan next! I'm glad this thread exists since so many proxy reviews are super outdated

WindsorSeven
Very Important Boarder

WindsorSeven

Online No
Level 30
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 1990
Location New Engla...

11 months ago
Anyone know of proxies that charge in USD? Seems unlikely, but I thought I'd ask.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/urmom45_2006/utaprinewsigsig.png

Pharrox
Regular Boarder

Pharrox

Online No
Level 6
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 4
Location Michigan

9 months ago
Does anyone have any experience using Jshoppers (ext link) for ordering doujinshi? I'm still rather new to the whole importing thing, though I have used FromJapan for a Yahoo auctions order before without any issues.

Anyway, I just placed my first order from Toranoana, but with the weekend and new years holidays was a bit concerned that what I was looking at might get sold out before a proxy service could get it for me. After looking around I found a doujinshi blog that mentioned using Jshoppers as a remailer, which sounded good since it means I can order it myself and don't need to wait for a third party.

I noticed in the ToS that they don't ship "obscene materials". The book I ordered is pretty tame, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the packaging from Toranoana is like, whether they actually check, and what exactly qualifies as obscene material? I've already placed the order so I guess it's kinda late to be asking now, but I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with these kinds of services.

Katto
SHSL Magical Girl
Administrator + Kuudere

Katto

Online No
Level 26
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 845
Location Melbourne...

9 months ago
WindsorSeven (11 months ago) #1821234Anyone know of proxies that charge in USD? Seems unlikely, but I thought I'd ask.I'm surprised noone answered this o.o

TJ actually say on their FAQ that they accept USD and JPY, but I have no idea how that works...
http://media.tumblr.com/7d601def965bf263c09d71a0ba08d16d/tumblr_inline_mppd2cfU0k1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/b9718baf802c5b0076333e0afc31214c/tumblr_inline_mppd2g9rzN1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/f977dc76a89e38ec46ad536f56a43b94/tumblr_inline_mppdqnZXNe1s0iq8v.gif
Welcome to Despair~

Spizzy
Regular Boarder

Spizzy

Online No
Level 17
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 1859
Location Texas

9 months ago
Katto (9 months ago) #1918754WindsorSeven (11 months ago) #1821234Anyone know of proxies that charge in USD? Seems unlikely, but I thought I'd ask.I'm surprised noone answered this o.o

TJ actually say on their FAQ that they accept USD and JPY, but I have no idea how that works...

I think while literally they accept USD, it's under the pretense that paypal will automatically convert it to JPY; I always get my invoices in JPY and paypal handle the conversion

While I've been having help with this on many fronts, I wonder if someone can tell me the difference between From Japan's shipping options.

There is 'regular' which has no description or extra charge, extra secure, which is a box in a box (not really sure how this helps..) for 1000-2000 more yen, or 'minimal' which is basically them throwing out the packing supplies that came with it from the original store and throwing it in a box, for 500 yen (???).

I've only received three packages with this service and the first time, I forgot to fill out the charge 2 (so I didn't get two of my packages combined) so they had packed it already, with what I assumed was 'regular packing' since that's the one with no charge and they didn't charge me any extra. When I received this package it was literally just everything thrown into a box with no packing materials whatsoever. Books aren't fixed to any backing and just bumping around inside the box the whole time. Miraculously nothing came in damaged besides a paper bag that looks like it had already been damaged and there wasn't a note of it on surugaya. The second package which just had two or three items came in a similar manner even though I picked 'regular shipping.' The third time I also picked 'regular shipping' and all the books came in loose again with no backing, with just a few sheets of bubblewrap between the products and whatever items had already come bubble wrapped (just like, one figurine). I've heard their regular packing is fine normally so I've been pretty displeased, so I don't know that I should really shell out the ten bucks or not if I can't trust their packaging anyway.

WindsorSeven
Very Important Boarder

WindsorSeven

Online No
Level 30
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 1990
Location New Engla...

9 months ago
Spizzy (9 months ago) #1957605Katto (9 months ago) #1918754WindsorSeven (11 months ago) #1821234Anyone know of proxies that charge in USD? Seems unlikely, but I thought I'd ask.I'm surprised noone answered this o.o

I think while literally they accept USD, it's under the pretense that paypal will automatically convert it to JPY; I always get my invoices in JPY and paypal handle the conversion

While I've been having help with this on many fronts, I wonder if someone can tell me the difference between From Japan's shipping options.

There is 'regular' which has no description or extra charge, extra secure, which is a box in a box (not really sure how this helps..) for 1000-2000 more yen, or 'minimal' which is basically them throwing out the packing supplies that came with it from the original store and throwing it in a box, for 500 yen (???).

I've only received three packages with this service and the first time, I forgot to fill out the charge 2 (so I didn't get two of my packages combined) so they had packed it already, with what I assumed was 'regular packing' since that's the one with no charge and they didn't charge me any extra. When I received this package it was literally just everything thrown into a box with no packing materials whatsoever. Books aren't fixed to any backing and just bumping around inside the box the whole time. Miraculously nothing came in damaged besides a paper bag that looks like it had already been damaged and there wasn't a note of it on surugaya. The second package which just had two or three items came in a similar manner even though I picked 'regular shipping.' The third time I also picked 'regular shipping' and all the books came in loose again with no backing, with just a few sheets of bubblewrap between the products and whatever items had already come bubble wrapped (just like, one figurine). I've heard their regular packing is fine normally so I've been pretty displeased, so I don't know that I should really shell out the ten bucks or not if I can't trust their packaging anyway.

I've never chosen any fancy packing and all my books always come with cardboard backing, wrapped in...wrapping I guess lol, and secure! I would say it has something to do with the number of books you order, since my shipments are always 6 books or less, but you say the same thing happened with your smaller package as well..
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/urmom45_2006/utaprinewsigsig.png

Spizzy
Regular Boarder

Spizzy

Online No
Level 17
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 1859
Location Texas

9 months ago
WindsorSeven (9 months ago) #1957630
I've never chosen any fancy packing and all my books always come with cardboard backing, wrapped in...wrapping I guess lol, and secure! I would say it has something to do with the number of books you order, since my shipments are always 6 books or less, but you say the same thing happened with your smaller package as well..

I haven't ever used from japan with group orders, we're talking like 20 or less items per package and they still come with zero packing materials or fixed to cardboard or anything =(

specifically, the first package was: 10 books, one plushie, 1 larger trading figure, a small set of trading figures, 3 paper bags with flat stick posters inside (one if which was folded in half ugh), and some trading cards. literally zero packaging

package 2 was two books and another bag with a small box containing rolled up stick posters (supposed to come this way, thankfully). there was one small piece of bubble wrap around the middle of the bag and that was it (useless much?)

package 3: 4 CDs, 4 books, 4 plushies, a messanger bag, and a booklet of trading cards. The CDs were bubble wrapped but the books were thrown in the bottom of the box with only a sheet of bubble wrap over the top, the rest thrown above it, and wads of newspaper over that. I haven't been pleased but I had a large group order pending packing with TJ already and FJ is a little cheaper, so I thought I'd try again having forgotten about about the previous packing issues..

The current one I have pending is a fragile scaled figure item #108449, 2 plushies, 3 booklets, 2 CDs, 1 clear file, and 9 cell phone charms. I guess I should just go for extra secure so there's no way they can ship it with super crap packaging, use what I saved on their commission lol..
Updated 9 months ago #1957670

Keripo
「ケリポ」
Very Important Boarder

Keripo

Online Yes
Level 26
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 49
Location USA

8 months ago
Anyone heard from Treasure Japan recently? I ordered a big batch of doujinshis from them in December, got the shipping instructions email middle of January, and nothing since ; /

~Keripo

Katto
SHSL Magical Girl
Administrator + Kuudere

Katto

Online No
Level 26
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 845
Location Melbourne...

8 months ago
Keripo (8 months ago) #1990107Anyone heard from Treasure Japan recently? I ordered a big batch of doujinshis from them in December, got the shipping instructions email middle of January, and nothing since ; /

~Keripo
I've been dealing with Nahoko quite regularly over the past couple of weeks with placing orders and getting something shipped out. It took her about 2 weeks to process my shipment request, so she's probably just really overwhelmed with Comiket orders.
http://media.tumblr.com/7d601def965bf263c09d71a0ba08d16d/tumblr_inline_mppd2cfU0k1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/b9718baf802c5b0076333e0afc31214c/tumblr_inline_mppd2g9rzN1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/f977dc76a89e38ec46ad536f56a43b94/tumblr_inline_mppdqnZXNe1s0iq8v.gif
Welcome to Despair~

Keripo
「ケリポ」
Very Important Boarder

Keripo

Online Yes
Level 26
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 49
Location USA

8 months ago
Katto (8 months ago) #1990303Keripo (8 months ago) #1990107Anyone heard from Treasure Japan recently? I ordered a big batch of doujinshis from them in December, got the shipping instructions email middle of January, and nothing since ; /

~Keripo
I've been dealing with Nahoko quite regularly over the past couple of weeks with placing orders and getting something shipped out. It took her about 2 weeks to process my shipment request, so she's probably just really overwhelmed with Comiket orders.

Completely forgot about Comiket @_@ (what I ordered were older stuff from Suruga-ya). Sent her an email earlier today asking for a status update, but that makes more sense now...

~Keripo

Spizzy
Regular Boarder

Spizzy

Online No
Level 17
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 1859
Location Texas

8 months ago
I have to admit I am as well having issues with my wait time at the moment too. I figured a month since my shipment request was long enough to process our large group order so I've emailed her asked for status last friday I believe and no reply yet (so I assume she's overwhelmed or something). I'd like to do more orders but I don't want to compound the situation since it's done so in the past. Sadly I'll be switching proxies, I can't deal with the really long wait times anymore, if it were just my own items it'd be different but for group stuff it's getting to be a burden. I figured I'd give it one last shot and see how things fared. I'd certainly use her again for my own smaller orders though.
Updated 8 months ago #2002656

Katto
SHSL Magical Girl
Administrator + Kuudere

Katto

Online No
Level 26
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 845
Location Melbourne...

8 months ago
I'm actually a little surprised that I've been okay with my processing times. I'll be moving to another proxy as well when she's finished setting up but it does seem like Nahoko is being incredibly overwhelmed. It is a shame since she's been the easiest to deal with, but with the wait times, I can't blame anyone wanting to swap to someone else.
Welcome to Despair~

theyasminshow
Technicolor Terror
Regular Boarder

theyasminshow

Online No
Level 20
Joined 1 year ago
Post(s) 68
Location New York

8 months ago
My processing times haven't been so bad, and communications have been pretty smooth with TJ. I don't mind waiting as long as my initial order goes through promptly so I don't have to worry about anything being sold out. That happened with my last order though, which bothered me since it's usually so quick. Makes me wonder, what is the speediest proxy in terms of making orders?
http://i.imgur.com/3UN2TJm.png
- not that I was obsessed with it, I just needed to get it -

Lexi
Regular Boarder

Lexi

Online No
Level 5
Joined 8 months ago
Post(s) 1
Location México

8 months ago
Hello! I've just joined!
My favorite proxy service is treasure-japan, the fee is very low and they allow to buy +18 doujins.
But sure you're true about the long waiting 'till they send you the invoice, in fact im already waiting for the invoice of 25 doujins and 3 magazines ;-; i hope they don't make me wait too long because i want to buy some more items but the shipment is going to be to heavy and i don't want to pay extra taxes because of that.

« Prev   1 2   Next »

Top ↑

Join the club to join the discussion.