ohmygoditsjrod

Online No
Level 11
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1294
Location Californi...

4 months ago
Oh wow so the last thread maxed out.

Was gonna answer about TOM. I wouldn't suggest making all purchases from TOM but if you get in the door with a good price with a lot of points back it can end up saving you money.

I'm patient so the extra wait is fine and I like prepaying because it keeps surprise costs coming at me later.
Bewbs

cfx
Regular Boarder

cfx

Online No
Level 9
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1416

4 months ago
I was hoping someone would make the thread because I can never come up with a witty title. :)

I don't know how to quote from another thread, but I wanted to answer dvsntt's question about shops. Besides what debinoresu said, the first post in our thread here (mfc link) has a summary of shops. It's a little messy now due to the Photobucket mess and it may not be completely up-to-date now.

Quick summary: Many of us here order from the Japanese shops Amiami [ext link ] Hobby Search [ext link ] and HobbyLink Japan [ext link ]. These all deal in new items and Amiami also sells pre-owned. Probably the largest stock of pre-owned figures is at Mandarake [ext link ] Chances of getting a bootleg figure from any of these is pretty much zero.

There are a few US-based shops that are reliable such as the above-discussed Tokyo Otaku Mode [ext link ] and most of them have approximately the same trade-offs. Waiting longer for your figures, but easier-to-anticipate pricing since the fluctuations of exchange rate and vague things about shipping are taken care of.

Figures sold by Amazon direct (not 3rd parties) should always be legit, and price-wise that's a good source for figures made by Kotobukiya.

Personally I buy primarily from Amiami, some from Hobby Search and HLJ if I miss something elsewhere. When I was catching up on older figures I dealt with Mandarake a lot but stopped ordering from them because they no longer accept credit cards that don't support Matercard's SecureCode or Visa's Verified by Visa, features that almost none of these cards in the US support. So practically speaking it's pretty much Paypal or nothing with them now, with a Paypal account required. That aside, I have been happy with the service from all of them. Amiami and Hobby Search do the best packing of that group.

Ebay: Probably best avoided, or at least be very cautious. Anything that is listed as "China Version" either there or Amazon, that's a euphemism for "bootleg." That said, I bought several Kotobukiya Bishoujo figures from mostly private sellers on ebay with no issue, and I believe those generally don't exist as bootlegs. The database on this site will show if a given figure has a bootleg available which can be helpful information as well.
Updated 4 months ago #23961119

JetJockey
Regular Boarder

JetJockey

Online No
Level 8
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 199
Location United St...

4 months ago
There are Kotobukiya bootlegs out there on eBay. I stumbled on to some unpainted kit versions once when looking for something else. I guess all it takes is a talented painter and bootlegger to make them look legit. But I have a feeling that it would cost more than the price of official Kotobukiya figures.

Also when getting figures from Amazon, sometimes 3rd Party sellers will be able to get Amazon to distribute their items. So Amazon can be doubtful at times if they are letting possible bootleg items mix with their officially sourced items. Of course Amazon will always let you return an item though so that's no problem if you get something that's wrong.

This cyber catgirl looks ok (item #464921). But I'm not crazy about her face and what might be seams on purpose or not.
I want vintage anime and videogame figures!

GaijinDensetsu
Regular Boarder

GaijinDensetsu

Online No
Level 9
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 315
Location Central N...

4 months ago
woo new thread! looking forward to see what's happening at summer wonfes.

cfx (4 months ago) #23961119When I was catching up on older figures I dealt with Mandarake a lot but stopped ordering from them because they no longer accept credit cards that don't support Matercard's SecureCode or Visa's Verified by Visa, features that almost none of these cards in the US support.

The capital one quicksilver card works on Mandarake unless they changed something very recently. I ordered some figures from them in May using my quicksilver card and it was fine. 1.5% cash back across the board and no foreign transaction fees, and the exchange rate is very close to the real rate which is nice.
-RMI-

ohmygoditsjrod
Regular Boarder

ohmygoditsjrod

Online No
Level 11
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1294
Location Californi...

4 months ago
cfx (4 months ago) #23961119I was hoping someone would make the thread because I can never come up with a witty title. :)

I just had the Persona 5 soundtrack stuck in my head. Heh.
Bewbs

cfx
Regular Boarder

cfx

Online No
Level 9
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1416

4 months ago
GaijinDensetsu (4 months ago) #23989107woo new thread! looking forward to see what's happening at summer wonfes.

cfx (4 months ago) #23961119When I was catching up on older figures I dealt with Mandarake a lot but stopped ordering from them because they no longer accept credit cards that don't support Matercard's SecureCode or Visa's Verified by Visa, features that almost none of these cards in the US support.
The capital one quicksilver card works on Mandarake unless they changed something very recently. I ordered some figures from them in May using my quicksilver card and it was fine. 1.5% cash back across the board and no foreign transaction fees, and the exchange rate is very close to the real rate which is nice.

When I checked some time ago, as I recall Capital One is one of the very few card issuers here that does support the required feature so that should indeed work. I just felt like I already have too many cards and didn't want to get another. ^^;

ohmygoditsjrod (4 months ago) #23997023cfx (4 months ago) #23961119I was hoping someone would make the thread because I can never come up with a witty title. :)
I just had the Persona 5 soundtrack stuck in my head. Heh.

I thought it was perfect; thread #5, and indeed I didn't see the end of the other one coming; couldn't figure out why I couldn't post and then I figured out that's what that red *2000* at the bottom meant lol.

Also, obligatory video [ext link ]

Freezasaurus
Regular Boarder

Freezasaurus

Online No
Level 13
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 422
Location New York ...

4 months ago
GaijinDensetsu (4 months ago) #23989107The capital one quicksilver card works on Mandarake unless they changed something very recently. I ordered some figures from them in May using my quicksilver card and it was fine. 1.5% cash back across the board and no foreign transaction fees, and the exchange rate is very close to the real rate which is nice.
My card works, technically, it's just that I actually have to call Visa whenever I make a Mandarake purchase so they can let it go through. It's not really a big deal since I don't often order anything from Manda.
Buy now. Regret later.
Updated 4 months ago #24002383

GaijinDensetsu
Regular Boarder

GaijinDensetsu

Online No
Level 9
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 315
Location Central N...

4 months ago
Freezasaurus (4 months ago) #24002383GaijinDensetsu (4 months ago) #23989107The capital one quicksilver card works on Mandarake unless they changed something very recently. I ordered some figures from them in May using my quicksilver card and it was fine. 1.5% cash back across the board and no foreign transaction fees, and the exchange rate is very close to the real rate which is nice.
My card works, technically, it's just that I actually have to call Visa whenever I make a Mandarake purchase so they can let it go through. It's not really a big deal since I don't often order anything from Manda.

yes this aspect is annoying. They send me a text message and i have to reply to it. Sometimes they block the transaction and I have to resubmit, other times it goes through on the first time. It's totally random. I don't often order from Mandarake now anyway since I find that they are not as strict as amiami when it comes to the condition of figures, and I have gotten 2 figures from them in the past which I was unhappy with the condition.
-RMI-
Updated 4 months ago #24018055

cfx
Regular Boarder

cfx

Online No
Level 9
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1416

4 months ago
Dengeki has some better pictures of Alpha x Omega's Halloween-themed Nozomi Toujou item #509402 here: [ext link ]

robert18
Regular Boarder

robert18

Online No
Level 11
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 225

4 months ago
WF teasers from Native [NSFW] [ext link ]

The nude Tony Taka's fairy is sculpted item #464768 ^_^

https://static.myfigurecollection.net/image/Kaneel1501230955.jpeg

But the abec's girls appears to be still unpainted item #331654 -_-

https://moonlitsaki.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/native_wf2017steas-4.jpg

Freezasaurus
Regular Boarder

Freezasaurus

Online No
Level 13
Joined 4 years ago
Post(s) 422
Location New York ...

4 months ago
robert18 (4 months ago) #24045693
But the abec's girls appears to be still unpainted item #331654 -_-

This makes me upset! I was hoping I'd be able to order them soon.
Buy now. Regret later.

ohmygoditsjrod
Regular Boarder

ohmygoditsjrod

Online No
Level 11
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1294
Location Californi...

4 months ago
There is a Fate Grand Order festival going on right now and a lot of Fate figures have been shown off.

[ext link ]

Just look through that Twitter account for it.

Lot of really nice looking sculpts. Specifically Artoria Lancer.
Bewbs

cfx
Regular Boarder

cfx

Online No
Level 9
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1416

4 months ago
ohmygoditsjrod (4 months ago) #24057696There is a Fate Grand Order festival going on right now and a lot of Fate figures have been shown off.

[ext link ]

Just look through that Twitter account for it.

Lot of really nice looking sculpts. Specifically Artoria Lancer.

The one on the horse? She's something else.

Racequeen Nero is painted and looks great [ext link ]

The GSC Ruler Jeanne d'Arc running with the flag looks great too; I was considering buying the Kadokawa version but this might be better.

This is the site associated with that Twitter and these pages summarize and show a few things I didn't see on the Twitter account: [ext link ] [ext link ] [ext link ]

EDIT: Better pictures of Racequeen Nero and the set here: [ext link ]
Updated 4 months ago #24059053

Baka_Bishie
Regular Boarder

Baka_Bishie

Online No
Level 11
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 337

4 months ago
Looking through the summaries of what was at FateFes, I thought it was a decent showing. I have some reservstions about a number of sculpts they were showing, but the images weren't high-quality enough to judge them very well.

Seeing Race Queen Nero (item #595821) painted was nice, the trio look good together. Race Queen Kuro (item #604009) also seemed up to par with the rest of the line so far.

Best announcement for me was Jeanne Alter's Dress Ver. scale (item #603996) coming from Max Factory. I'm so happy and I hope she turns out well!

Only things I'm sad we didn't see was a prototype for GSC's scale of Mash's Beast Ver. (item #549407) or her third Ascension scale from Stronger (item #532982), neither of which were anywhere to be found. Maybe next FateFes...

Going to rest up for tomorrow. It'll be nice to have the night off for the show so I can catch stuff as it comes in rather than have to join the party in progress.

EDIT: Also, no representation from Alter at FateFes, neither current colored prototypes like Santa Alter (item #464671) or Heyagi Mode Scathach (item #464672), and no sign of their upcoming Jeanne Alter (item #464669) either. Hmm...
~Infinite_Respawn~
Updated 4 months ago #24060142

cfx
Regular Boarder

cfx

Online No
Level 9
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1416

4 months ago
I was kinda worried that Racequeen Nero would look too much like Saber in a sense it would make the set seem odd but it's not the case at all.

Alter put up a list of figures they will have at Wonder Festival on their blog [ext link ] And heyagi Mode Scathach is among them. From the coverage I've seen it does appear they didn't attend the FateFes. The blog entry says they will have things besides what is listed. "

Dengeki has coverage of FateFes: Aniplex [ext link ] GSC companies [ext link ] others [ext link ] [ext link ]

There are review pics of production of di molto bene's Ruby Rose item #458011 here [ext link ] and it looks like she came out pretty well. Most notable change from the prototype I see is the ruffles on the dress aren't as delicate looking.
Updated 4 months ago #24060647

cfx
Regular Boarder

cfx

Online No
Level 9
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1416

4 months ago
According to their blog, Orchid Seed's Sorceress item #165760 will go up for order next week; pictures too: [ext link ]

JetJockey
Regular Boarder

JetJockey

Online No
Level 8
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 199
Location United St...

4 months ago
I just came across this Kekko Kamen character. Her images are kind of NSFW.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-032090

She doesn't seem to be listed on MFC. But I'm going to check out the anime. She's hot, expensive, and according to the listing 1/3.5 scale! Kind of a strange mix of a nude girl, bunny, and ninja character.

cfx (4 months ago) #24063080According to their blog, Orchid Seed's Sorceress item #165760 will go up for order next week; pictures too: [ext link ]

Too late on that for me. With her (item #287758) issues she's still the best for me.
I want vintage anime and videogame figures!

robert18
Regular Boarder

robert18

Online No
Level 11
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 225

4 months ago
JetJockey (4 months ago) #24066466I just came across this Kekko Kamen character. Her images are kind of NSFW.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-032090

She doesn't seem to be listed on MFC. But I'm going to check out the anime. She's hot, expensive, and according to the listing 1/3.5 scale! Kind of a strange mix of a nude girl, bunny, and ninja character.

I'm also interested in her, I'm have seen this character before, but never watched the anime or manga. I find the premise kinda funny, a female superhero dressed in a red rabbit-eared mask, with matching gloves, scarf, boots and nothing else. What a way to fight the evil xD

Also need to watch the anime, the manga isn't completed in english, what a shame. Although that release date is complicated for me, I have this year full.

cfx
Regular Boarder

cfx

Online No
Level 9
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1416

4 months ago
Her name is romanized differently (not technically wrong, yet not how it's officially done) in the database entry here which is why she didn't show up for you item #604253

I remember the character from way back when I bought anime magazines and Hobby Japan back in the 1980s-1990s. I knew she was a Go Nagai creation but wasn't really familiar beyond that. Reading Wikipedia about it and its parody nature it sounds like it could be interesting: [ext link ]

A+ QC seems to be inonsistent so pre-ordering here is probably somewhat of a gamble.

Garentz
Regular Boarder

Garentz

Online No
Level 16
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 392
Location France

4 months ago
Hello everyone, i wanted to know if you know several twitter and facebook to follow the Wonder Festival. I have the amiami twitter [ext link ] and i found the WF hashtag : [ext link ] but some help would be nice to see everything.

Maybe some of you know a specific twitter to follow the Prime 1 Studio photos (i know there is the official facebook group but maybe there is something else exclusive for the WF coverage), same question for the Garage Kit and Dolls as in general we mainly see the PVC figures and not the others figures displayed.

« Prev   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16   Next »

Top ↑

Join the club to join the discussion.