HomeArticlesArticle #32396Comments
Buy from Japan. Easier than ever.

Anguished One/Alcor Devil Survivor fan sculptureComments • Anguished One/Alcor Devil Survivor fan sculpture

amy616 (1 year ago) #18873245Omg Anguished One he's my favourite. He looks super awesome. I hope to learn about 3D modeling now with 3D printers becoming more and more popular

Thanks for the compliment!
    I'm looking to create a site where I could work with fans directly and have them take part in the building process, from concept to sculpt to final print.
    This way you learn the process, though getting better at 3d sculpting takes time.
    I shall link to it, when its all setup.
    Right now I'm prepping the model for printing, and will make a blog post on that soon.

Kiwifie (1 year ago) #18873517Do keep in mind if you're doing sales online that the same keywords you use to make your products searchable (name of series, characters, etc.) are the trademarks that companies do takedowns for. Not that that will necessarily happen, I have all my fanwork online and haven't gotten a C&D so far, but if online sales are your only option it's probably a good idea to be extra careful making sure you're choosing characters from IPs that aren't heavily policed. I imagine the costs for printing garage kits would be somewhat high, so it would be a shame to not be able to sell something you made. There's a good artist alley resource here with a list of series with frequent takedowns.
    And good luck with this project, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes! For characters I don't know if you're into other megaten games but I would actually cry happy tears for a Demifiend. ;v;

That's a great list. Thank you for sharing.
    Atlus isn't on there it seems, I'm looking into the best and fairest ways for distribution, though first I will be making a blog post on how the printing of this sculpt goes, so I can understand the process.

Demifiend has a prize figure ITEM #161260
    Wow, he sells for a lot.
    I could make him in due time, though it would likely be another pose depending on the request.
    1 year ago

1 year ago
    amy616 Let's DANCE
    1 year ago
    Thank you for all your suggestions, I'm going to go ahead and try printing him.

I was wondering if I should print him as a single piece as opposed to multiple interlocking pieces in a kit.

Does having multiple pieces make it easier to paint the model?

Also it would be great to hear any sculpting requests you might have so I can make a list of characters (who don't have many figures) to add to my sculpting schedule. I will try to accommodate as many as I can.

And I will be setting up a a site to better take requests and share skills. I'd just like a place for fans to come together to support the characters they love.

debinoresu (1 year ago) #18851923
    Indeed, I've always wondered if the companies were involved in some way, its good that they are supportive (or indifferent depending on the way you look at it)

Kiwifie (1 year ago) #18851467
    I am looking into ways to make the model available as limited runs like garage kits at conventions, though this would be online instead for a limited time. That's one option.

NemsEngelAceSasu (1 year ago) #18851309
    Thank you for the kind words!
    I could teach you, it takes good spatial design skills and lots of practice but its but a matter of time.

And it takes me but a day or two to sculpt something like this. (complexity increases time) If you can tell me what you want sculpted, I'll sculpt it for your viewing pleasure.

Then we can look into printing it for you if you'd like at a later time. No obligations, I'm happy to bring a character you care about to life.

Of course I'd start the sculpt after I get Alcor successfully printed (will take a few days)

Stalgonoff (1 year ago) #18851275
    Thank you!
    The way the program works, I can make an infinite number of poses, so there is no end to how I can customize him.
    Is there a specific pose you would like to see?
    Everything from swapping his head with the shining one, to giving him tentacles is possible.
    A lot of companies actually use the same modeling techniques, though I'm not certain of the specifics of their printing process.
    1 year ago
    from what i can tell companies give 0 shits. i regularly go to conventions and people really make fanart of whatever they want, in whatever they want, and sell it just fine without getting into any trouble. the only times ive seen people get in trouble are when its fanart of a creation by an indie developer who theyre actually harming with even their minor fanart profits. i;e undertale fanart was not allowed to be sold for a long time (it is now, however, since it got so popular he got enough money to be like ok youre good)

look up just about any media item on stores like redbubble, etsy, storenvy, and youll find fanart and fanitems being sold. (including sculptures and fan-made plushies!) tbf it does depend on where you live, and where you sell. i;e in japan gks can only be sold at certain events. but i really dont think you need to worry about legality with fanart, unless it hurts you morally to do something legally questionable. i highly doubt anyone will bother to stop you.
    1 year ago
    Copyright law gets sort of... convoluted when you're dealing with multiple countries.

I've only done a little research on Japanese copyright law, and quite a while ago too, so my memory is hazy. But the general idea if I remember correctly is that, while you can receive a C&D for using IPs that aren't your own, this requires the IP holder to actively file against you. Most IP holders don't seem to have any interest in doing so as long as what you're creating doesn't come close enough to any official merch to be infringing on the company's profits. (That's when you get into bootlegs rather than fanwork.) Because of the more liberal IP regulations you get a thriving doujin community.

America on the other hand classifies ANY sale of works from an IP other than your own as illegal, unless you've received permission from the IP holder. So what you're going to probably be concerned with is whatever company licenses the IP you're working with in the US and how lenient they are with "fair use". Some companies have made exceptions to this (Funimation allows fanart to be sold at cons as long as it's transformative, but not the use of logos/names) and then some hand out C&Ds like candy. (stay FAR away from Disney properties when it comes to fanwork) Unfortunately there's not many companies that have a publicly posted policy on fanwork for sale so if you're interested in selling them you'll just have to see how it goes. As long as you're not mass producing them you probably won't have a problem. Atlus at least doesn't seem to do any takedowns from what I've heard so I'd guess a small run of Alcor would be okay. (And GOSH I'd love more merch of him so I'm biased)

But yeah fanwork for Japanese IPs in general is sort of confusing legal ground, and most fanwork IS towing a fine line with regards to legality. Unfortunately US laws make it difficult to allow fanart even if the creator WANTS to.
    1 year ago
    I don't know the series. But I admire your hard and good work.

If I wouldn't be totally awful at such things, I would want to do these too. I would love to get custom skip beat figures someday and plan on letting someone sculpt them for me.
    1 year ago
    I think this is pretty cool and it would be interesting to see how well it would turn out once printed. I'm not a huge fan of his pose, but the amount of time and effort you put into him really shows.

I don't know the legal aspects of distributing unlicensed merchandise, but I assume it's illegal. However, I doubt anyone would do anything about it. From what I know, doujins aren't legal, but it's a mostly accepted industry. I believe the same applies to fan art that people sell prints of.
    1 year ago
Buy from Japan. Easier than ever.