I decided to make a felt board to try to nicely display my bf's Nekopara strap/keychain/button collection, and it came out pretty well! I wish I'd taken more photos during the process, but zzz...
Some pros and cons:
- Felt is super forgiving. I was able to move everything around with ease, especially the buttons, which I had to rearrange a few times.
- Easily customizable, can suit whatever aesthetic you're going for
- It really didn't take all that long to make.
- It wasn't very costly to make, either.
- You could definitely scale this down for a little desktop frame, too.
- Makes for a nice setup you can display in a room that doesn't distract from the straps themselves.
- You're confined to whatever size frame you get; it's not like you can make the space bigger without buying another frame and more material.
- Still exposes straps to dust, etc. There's no layers of glass sealing them in.
- The adhesive dots wouldn't hold onto things very well. You'll need to either hot glue them (which would probably ruin the merch), or stitch through the felt across tiny parts of the straps/keychains to make sure they stay put.
I'd definitely recommend trying it out!
(The image by Kinjava444 that I linked can be found here.)