HomeArticlesArticle #38556Comments

We are loosing yet another siteComments • We are loosing yet another site

Here is the some alternative to died Figinstock. I made it for myself, but you can use it for free of course.

This service, as the Figinstock, downloads a new items list from popular anime stores and send to users by email a notification about new item, accordingly to search list. For example "Nendoroid", "Figma", e.t.c.

The search list format is very simple: Words or phrases on english/japan/other languages as used on original store, divided by comma. Not URLs!

Today it works with Mandarake, Amiami, Rakuten, Hobby Link Japan, Hobby Search, and Big in Japan.

Enjoy!
    6 months ago
    Orni (6 months ago) #30501949Hi everyone,
    I'm the creator of (the soon dead) FigInStock.
    I read all your messages today. I missed this thread.
    I can't answer to all, but here are some :
    As I said on the post, money was part of the decision. Translations for Mandarake were most of the costs this year (and growing each month).
    Few years ago, there was a donation system on FigInStock. Free to give but not mandatory to use FIS. As the years passed, subscriptions were not retained, and donations did not work anymore.
    I hope it helped a lot during there years ! :)
    Amiami is a real pain for pre-owned. There can be nothing for 2 days and then, BOOM, 200 new lines.
    Thank you :) As this hobby is more and more expensive, we understood a subscription will not be the best solution.
    I don't want to bad-mouth too much behind the back of my japanese colleague but, yes, there is not a lot of good programmers in Japan...
    A lot of japanese websites looks like early 2000 internet :( They are stuck in 2000 :D
    Thank you for your donation in the early years of FIS ^__^
    F5 will ever be your best friends !
    To all :
    Thank you for using FigInStock all these years ! :)

To Orni

Thank you first of all for creating the site that made so many people happy. It was a morning ritual to go and look at my e-mails and then click all of those wonderful links. Thank you as well to have taken the time to write back comments to some of the questions in this thread.

= )

Tia
    6 months ago
    Hi everyone,

I'm the creator of (the soon dead) FigInStock.
    I read all your messages today. I missed this thread.

I can't answer to all, but here are some :

Misheru (7 months ago) #29119253
    (...)
    The creator is saying they "couldn't take the direction they wanted" etc etc but I'm quite sure that's nice codespeak for "I can't keep wasting time and money on this thing that is giving nothing back to me". Any number of people exist which can restart the site or another like it, but nobody's going to do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Bah-Roo (7 months ago) #29119258hmmmm, tbh I wouldn't mind paying a (reasonable) fee to continue using figinstock. (...)

Cupcakez89 (7 months ago) #29120481I've been using figinstock for like 6 years. It helped me find some really hard to get items, what a drag they're closing their doors :(
    I hope it helped a lot during there years ! :)

skylinedo (7 months ago) #29123384Here's a great tip I've leaerned that cuts back my reliance on figinstock:
    check amiami preowned ~19:00 tokyo time. I've scored many rare figs at fair prices this way
    Oh, and don't just check the first page. Sometimes they put the new stuff on page 2 just for the fuck of it
    But unfortunately they can add restocks whenever ...

Sakarii (7 months ago) #29233532And even that is dying. While Youtube Red failed, more and more creators are starting to rely on things like Patreon instead of ads (which made it free). The more the Internet has become popular the more the idea of "free" has died.
    With how expensive this hobby is, I can sorta see why no one wanted to pay for server costs, though. Shame because FigInStock was truly amazing. I'll miss it.

l0li (7 months ago) #29226904Never knew of that site but I think the problem is that the online shops usually don't offer an API. If you could just send a request by JAN or something and it returns price and availability, making a site like this would be easy. And then you could offer it for free.
    But the stores can't even make a working sort feature, so this will probably never happen. Are there no good programmers in Japan?

ManoShuZero (7 months ago) #29147223Damn, I didn't used it recently, but I remember it helping a lot, even gave 10 bucks for them for some months when I used it ~5 years ago.
    Wish that the creator keep it going, making it a subscription-based service maybe.
    Anyway, thank you.

Thank you for your donation in the early years of FIS ^__^

Jasurim (7 months ago) #29117843That is a shame!
    Damn, I really relied on that to watch for some figures or even some merch. I guess I will have to do it the old fashioned way now... ^^;

F5 will ever be your best friends !

To all :
    Thank you for using FigInStock all these years ! :)
    6 months ago
    Misheru (7 months ago) #29119253Even watching videos on NicoNico or FC2 required some sort of payment eventually; the idea that you can watch youtube for free indefinitely is pretty out of place.

7 months ago

7 months ago
    Misheru (7 months ago) #29119253There's nothing mysterious about what is happening. People want a service but they don't want to pay.
    I'm Canadian and I'm already paying over 107$ for my internet alone. With that hell of a price, it's plain obvious why I don't want to pay additional fees to use a website. I'm sure you all think that price is crazy, and it is, but that's just how things are here. Of course, if it was much less, lets say about 50$, I would gladly pay subscription there and there to support websites services I use on a daily basis. However, as long as the internet providers are putting us in a corner with their greed, subscription website won't get any support from me, and it's not that I don't want to, I really do, but I just can't.
    7 months ago
    I don't know about this site in there until now..do some have screenshots of they use to see for these alert of restocks and etc? it for like memories. c: Please?

I'm sorry for your loss of fav. site. :(
    7 months ago

Anyway, thank you.
    7 months ago
    Tsumikiria (7 months ago) #29123036I never knew such service exists until now, and they're closing. What a pity...Yeah I also had no idea this sort of thing existed. I just manually search for stuff...
    7 months ago
    Misheru (7 months ago) #29119253

What kind of service except for Internet service require a subscription for example ? NND and FC2 doesn't work the same way that Alphabet products make their business. Also it's pretty normal a 3rd party service make you pay for some services IMO.

A dedicaced server isn't cheap to rent, and people doesn't want to pay or having some ads. That's why a lot a project are dropped so brutally. But i think the goal was to get some partership with those websites, which is not really possible when you parsing all the day their websites so aggressively.

Keep in mind it can be the same for MFC/Tsuki-board and maybe ppl will think twice when you decide to active an Ad blocker on a website.
    7 months ago