HomeArticlesArticle #38766Comments

Pocket Monsters (Pokémon) - Red & Pikachu ARTFX J - KotobukiyaComments • Pocket Monsters (Pokémon) - Red & Pikachu ARTFX J - Kotobukiya

Rifscape (2 months ago) #43435413Hi,
    Just wondering but between this Kotobukiya's Red figure and Kotobukiya's Yami Yugi figure which do you prefer/personally enjoy more and which do you think is the overall better figure? (i.e sculpt, pose, painting, etc.)
    Thanks!

I hope you don't mind, but I thought it was a good idea to also reply on your public comments about the figure, so other people with the same/similar questions will also have an answer! :D

Which figure do you like better?
    - Unff, don't let me choose. xD My YGO collection couldn't do without Yami Yugi, but Red by itself is a better 'solo' figure.

Which do you have better memories of?
    - Unfff, another tie. Red for playing the games countless hours when I was younger, but Yuugi as being one of the first anime characters I really admired. If I had to choose, I think I would go for Red. >.< As I spend more hours in the Pokémon game than watching the YGO anime.

Which figure do you think is overall better? (sculpt, paint, pose, base, etc.)
    - This one is easier, as Red is basic, but well done and Yuugi is higher in details. Yuugi really wins this.

As final note I think it's really important to think about how you plan on displaying the figure. Red is better as a stand-alone than Yuugi imo. If you already own a couple of YGO figures, then Yuugi is probably more fun to get.
    2 months ago
    CaptainZ (1 year ago) #30760796Those are "zombie" listings

Hrmm, too bad. :( I wish you good luck finding him! Hopefully you can find some local deals.
    1 year ago
    Maakie (1 year ago) #30760519 2 users selling him now are asking lower prices than the Japanese stores!

Those are "zombie" listings
    1 year ago
    CaptainZ (1 year ago) #30500023Man, I missed the boat on this one.
    Like you, I have been a fan since the beginning and I should have known considering how autistic the fandom can be I should have PO'd this bad boi.
    Please, Koto do a re-release. May is a whole other sore spot.

I expected his price to rise a bit, but I did not expect the huge prices I saw when I was researching them for this review. There is barely any talk anymore about this figure, so I'm not sure Koto will consider a re-release. I think it's best to keep your eyes peeled and see if someone ends up selling theirs for a lower price than the average market value. Still, if you want him really badly, the 2 users selling him now are asking lower prices than the Japanese stores!

Rajke (1 year ago) #30566954This figure does give that nostalgic vibe. The art style sure has changed over the years. The paint fails are acceptable but like you explained the belly of Pikachu is a mess. I like the way how Pikachu is sculped. A fat Pikachu wouldn't look great.
    The pose of Red is spot on. Like his character in the games. He don't have to say anything, with his pose he already challenged you to a battle. For this figure i had hoped that Kotobukya would use a white snow/mount base. Red may be the protagonist of the first games. Red's waiting (in this outfit and not frozen) on mount Silver in the Gold and Silver generation is what gives this figure the nostalgic feeling.

I really adore the older style, I'm sometimes a bit sad how the games look a lot like the anime now, but the artstyle probably wouldn't fly anymore if it was still used now. Fat Pikachu has a special place in my heart, but probably wouldn't have worked for this figure. I think this mixed Pikachu is a good one, as I'm also not a huge fan of the super skinny Pikachu.

Ahhhh, that would have been so nice too! I agree with you there! Maybe they could do that if Koto still plans an re-issue. ;) But I think over here they wanted to show Red as the Pokémon Yellow protagonist, where maybe even more people are nostalgic for?
    1 year ago
    Rajke Ca fanatic
    1 year ago
    Man, I missed the boat on this one.
    Please, Koto do a re-release. May is a whole other sore spot.
    1 year ago
    victorviper (1 year ago) #30470438I've never played any of the Pokemon games, so my Poke-knowledge is limited to watching the occasional episode of the TV show, so I was kind of surprised how radically different the artstyle of this figure is compared to the TV character designs! The design is...I don't know...harder, maybe?

Yeah, I know what you mean. The game designs are very different, maybe you can call them a bit more tough? I absolutely love looking at the older game artwork, makes me feel nostalgic. :)

The coloring is also very neat!
    1 year ago