HomeArticlesArticle #39151Comments

Most Efficient Way to Transport/Move Your Entire Collection?Comments • Most Efficient Way to Transport/Move Your Entire Collection?

Helsing (7 months ago) #31071661View spoilerHide spoilerIf I were you I'd pick a handful which you like the most to move with you and store the rest at home/close friend etc. where you get them when you complete your school . But pardon me I got a question . Where do you get the money when you are a college student (money should be tight), when you even have few more expensiver~~ ones and got that many in such a small time frame?
    View spoilerHide spoilerI abused my past savings and gave up plans for buying other items, which is why. It's not sustainable I know so I won't be getting new ones in the same rate as I did before.
    7 months ago
    FIGCOLLECTOR (7 months ago) #31071611View spoilerHide spoilerI agree with the rest. I rent a flat because I´m been out of my country from several years ago. When I have to move, I take my (almost 400) figures and 8 deltofs in a rented truck to move then. Use the original box of your figures, is the best way to avoid broke them. If you put another figures into de plastic bubble of your pvc figures, you will be increasing the risk of break them, because te space between the bubble and the box is an "air mattress" that can stretch to dispel the energy of a hit to the box. Put the boxes in another large box and you can move then better than one by one.
    View spoilerHide spoilerIn another country, and still own 400 figures in 8 detolfs? That was impressive. I'm not sure about costs of renting trucks plus I don't drive so I might not use the same solution, but I would keep my more delicate or rare figures in their original boxes with nothing else in them. For my other figures I guess I would risk that, and I would have to make sure they're not hit by collision along the way.

Thanks for your reply, and I look forward to own like you do, someday.
    7 months ago
    missprototype (7 months ago) #31071361View spoilerHide spoilerIf your situation is anything like mine where you're kinda forced to keep all of your figs/belongings with you because you're an "adult" already and your folks already want you to be mostly moved out i.e. only storing the bare minimum at their house, then here's what I've been doing.
    I've mostly been moving/storing my things through storage containers, the plastic kind you can find at walmart and specifically the one's with wheels. A good one is usually really sturdy, not too hard to transport and you can stack them into one another if you have multiple once you're all moved in.
    I throw out primarily prize figure boxes, have a separate organizer for poseable figures so that I have the option to trash those boxes, and use excess space in bigger fig boxes where I store smaller figures wrapped in package paper as buffer. This helps me reduce the overall box clutter while prioritizing the packaging safety of my more expensive and/or typically bigger stuff.
    At the end of the day, moving stuff all at once can already be a pain. But likely you'll also be moving furniture/clothes/belongings and so at about 30 figures I can't imagine you'll be adding a significant impact to your overall move. But for peace of mind and overall safety, I'd simply recommend packing them up ahead of time and keeping them with a trusted friend/relative that will be able to hold onto them during your move process.
    In the end, it's up to you on how you want to handle transporting/storing your figure collection. Having to keep shuffling them around every year sounds daunting in its own right, but personally a year is a long time and I don't see the point of storing most of my figures through the entirety of college when they're a lovely highlight to my busy days. I'd rather just bite the bullet and deal with it when the time comes. Just some food for thought.
    As a fellow college undergrad, I wish you luck.

View spoilerHide spoilerI'm also kinda forced to keep all my belongings with me, but not because of my parents forcing me out since I'm an "adult" already, but because I'm studying in another country and living alone. I actually got used to packing and moving all my stuff every year, so I tried to minimize what I own so they can all fit in 3 to 4 28 inch suitcases and some bags. It's just I never had to transport such delicate things in this large amount before, and it'd probably take several other big suitcases to transport, so I dunno what to do. Also for the same reason I got no friend/relative here who I can trust my stuff to.

I only collect prepainted and owns no figmas or nendos, so couldn't use an organizer. But I would probably go with storage containers. Did you put them boxed in the storage containers, or did you bubble wrapped them and used dividers? I've used execess space in larger one's boxes to transport small models in the past but as an increasing number of my collection are 1/6 figs I guess it wouldn't be as viable, but I could always try.

I decided to bite the bullet too and now it is my time to face the consequences. But they really are a loving sight with stress relieving effects, so I don't regret having them. It's a pleasure seeing fellow undergrads. Thanks for replying, and good luck on your tests and finals too.
    7 months ago
    oic (7 months ago) #31071569View spoilerHide spoilerIf you don't have to clear out from your current home living situation each term, I absolutely recommend taking your collection home with you now rather than later when you've inevitably accumulated more. It sounds like you have to travel by plane/bus/train to get home, so when your collection is huge, you're looking at high shipping costs and most importantly -- stress (because if something gets damaged, whatever courier you use is going to fight you on how it isn't their fault but yours because 'you didn't package according to xyz requirements'). If you're going to be in emotional agony without your favorites, maybe keep taking those with you in your luggage, but if they're that valuable and precious to you, I dunno; you've probably experienced the risk of people going in/out with your consent or presence (roommate and their friends, university staff for maintenance and room checks).
    Putting things in storage units during breaks is not on my personal recommendation list, because you have to contend with the elements. One fall semester when I was abroad, the storage unit I had at ground level was flooded and all of my belongings were left in standing water for three months despite a Public Storage "confirmation" check. When I got back, everything was covered in mold and mildew and 90% of my things had to be tossed out (bless insurance coverage).
    You've seen how in just one year you can gradually accumulate so much stuff. If you have to continue worrying about packaging/moving your growing figure collection each academic year up until you graduate, when finals are all over and you're sleep-deprived... I don't know, I had enough stress packing up my makeup and clothes. If I had to package and ship my figures? RIP.
    Right now, it sounds like you're in a position where you could conceivably keep all of your current figure boxes and bring them home by luggage and a package or two mailed home. If you're leaning on taking things home after this year, I'd do it with their figure boxes. The reason being that you're at a point where moving out from home and into your own place is in the near future. Figure boxes can't be beat for being easy to put the figure back in their box where everything was already shaped for them. The peace of mind you'll get from knowing that each of their boxes was designed to prevent damage especially for that figure will really help with the stress you feel creeping up now.
    If you've got a strong heart and want to keep them with you at your university, I'd say you're probably going to end up needing to toss all but the smallest boxes or the boxes with figures that are especially delicate/intricate. In which case, I'd recommend going for the bubble wrap + medium weight corrugated box deal. Good luck on whatever you decide! And on your finals!

View spoilerHide spoilerThanks! You're right on your guess. I'm actually studying abroad and only got to go home twice a year, each time taking >12 hrs of flight time, so it feels pretty daunting every time I think that eventually I have to take a high risk, pay a high amount to order all my stuff shipped home. If things went well and I eventually settle in this country I'd be much happier, for both my career and the ease of not having to worry about all that.
    I could sure leave some of them home next time, my Fumika ITEM #5367 has travelled with me for 4 years now and she could sure use some rest. Also my Tony fairies since new versions of them are coming out.
    What storage service did you use? That was terrible. The self storage I used had small units up on 3rd floor but it does feel cold and damp, so probably not an ideal place to store figures.
    I'd probably trash a few boxes except those from rare ones. Damages on them is too much for me to bear. But a larger and increasing number of my figures are 1/6 big with huge boxes, and I read somewhere that corrugated boxes can release acid and damage the paint, so I guess I should look for storage containers with dividers. Anyway, thank you!
    7 months ago
    7 months ago
    7 months ago
    If you got a trailer, van or truck, either rented or a friend's, I suggest carefully packing them back in their original boxes and then putting as many of those in a large moving box and tape it up. It may be bulky but weighs next to nothing so easy to pick up and carry.

Plus, this way, you don't necessarily have to unpack them right away. They should be perfectly safe sealed in that box until you're settled.
    7 months ago
    oic °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

7 months ago
    As a fellow college undergrad, I wish you luck.
    7 months ago
    Personally, I wouldn't. I'd probably pick my favourites to take to uni, and leave the rest somewhere safe. Maybe take one or two extras on trips home (or wherever they're stored), if you do that in the semester. Also saves transporting them too often, which increases the risk of damage by a decent amount.

Also I occasionally had other people in my room at uni, so if I was a collector back then, I'd be worried about people bumping into stuff. If you're liable to invite drunk people into your room, this risk is magnified (the only drunk person in my room would be me :P).
    7 months ago
Toys, Action Figures, Vintage Toys, and Collectibles.