HomeArticlesArticle #40070Comments

Anyone could lie...Comments • Anyone could lie...

♥♥I saw someone who owned over 2k figures and I wondered if half of that is true or not. But you never know.♥♥
    3 months ago
    FSE (3 months ago) #34238915You Really Think Someone Would Do That? Just Go On the Internet and Tell Lies?
    View spoilerHide spoilerCould not resist sorry

I love this so much.
    3 months ago
    Ruttsu (3 months ago) #34303730Me too, I have more figures (mostly trading) that I don't even bother to list, and also manga collections (and some DVDs) that I don't list because they are not Japanese releases.
    For me the most annoying case of lies I find here when researching more info about something I'm adding or editing on the DB, are the bootlegs (mostly GK recasts) that are added by users who pretend they have the originals, I sometimes ask users that supposedly have the items but they can't help because they don't own the actual item, just a bootleg/recast.

I find this too! I have a friend that does this and it drives me a bit crazy... a bootleg is a bootleg. I mean, use the database however you need to, but I find claiming to have an original when you have a bootleg just confuses people when you post pictures or try to answer questions :-/
    3 months ago
    Ruttsu as Ruttsu
    maggie (3 months ago) #34245895I lie. I have more than I’ve got listed. 9_9;;
    That’s more laziness or forgetfulness though, if I’m being honest.

3 months ago
    i mostly lie about in rl about figure collecting. not even my parents know i'm doing it. it's my big secret. included a fake fb page to keep up with the fb groups. a nickname on my blog that's about my figures etc.
    3 months ago
    Easy. Pics or shens :)
    3 months ago
    Solarstormflare (3 months ago) #34253651I don't really see the point in lying. However i am completely inadequate at adding anything to the database, so sometimes if i own the english dvd/manga version of something i add it as the japanese one etc. Interesting thoughts though

Yeah, there are a few media items I've added where I don't technically own the region version MFC is tracking. Super Robot Taisen X is the most recent example. I don't actually own THIS ITEM #651961 version. Instead, I own the Singapore version. This is limited to a few PS2 games (the Xenosaga titles) and a couple of Tony Taka artbooks (Shining books which have NA Udon equivalents).
    3 months ago
    I mostly use this site to keep up with my figures, and see what I'm still hunting. It wouldn't make much sense to lie to myself, I don't really get profile traffic after all! I think most people use the site this way, so it's not likely they would lie, it'd just make it harder to remember what they were looking for, and take away the joy of actually adding to their collection.
    3 months ago

Actually, overseas releases of DVD or manga are not allowed on the database, as per the Help section:

HelpAdding Media
    Media released in Japan (Japanese releases only).

So yeah, you can only tagged them as owned under their Japanese entry, which is what I've been doing too.

But back on topic, I don't doubt that some people might do it - this is the internet after all - but brag all they want, what do I care? I'm collecting because I love my figures, whether somebody else also has those figures is not really relevant.
    3 months ago
    It's probably more often the other way around.

Many of us lie that we don't collect figures at all (to friends and strangers), rather than admit that we spent tens of thousands on plastic toys.

*going to remain oblivious and not check how much i spent on this hobby*

edit: i pity anyone that has over 1k figures. SOOO MUCH DUSTING!! It already gets insane when you hit 3 digits let alone go over 1k.
    3 months ago