HomeArticlesArticle #40082Comments

Let's Talk About: Bootlegs!Comments • Let's Talk About: Bootlegs!

Bootlegs make my eBay buying pretty rough. Luckily MFC has most of the figures that have bootlegs listed. I tend to avoid buying from an unknown seller if said figure has a bootleg according to MFC. So far I haven't been scammed yet.
    I however did bought some Chinese keychains once. They were like 1$ each, and I am satisfied with them. They do look pretty nice (Barely any difference compared to the real deal) and I don't look at them all the time like figures, since they're not on display. I do not plan to buy more though.
    7 days ago
    I remember buying bootleg versions of ITEM #55220 and ITEM #55221 for a whopping £30 (absolute crap quality) in a store a good few years ago, only to realise they were OBVIOUSLY fake very soon after.

How naïve I was! NEVER bought any fake goods again, never even returned to the store.

Tip: Always check for possible signs of authenticity:)
    7 days ago
    What I can't stand about bootlegs is people who sell them as original. My sister has some that she bought at anime conventions. As long as you know what you're buying, and if you think it's not worth it the real one, it's up to you.
    I personally won't buy any bootleg from a scale, prize or action figure. Since almost always quality is awful, prize ones are fairly cheap usually (I've bought some original cheaper than the bootleg) and action ones tend to fall apart.
    I would consider to buy some nendoroids for customization, if I try it someday.
    Even so, I've been a long time considering to buy the bootlegs from ENTRY #91833
    I already own ENTRY #54128 , ENTRY #57101 , ENTRY #75798 , and ITEM #346685. All legit. And I have to say almost all of them have very noticeable paint flaws, and some have really really bad ones, I even tought ITEM #173023 was a bootleg...
    I think they are too expensive for that quality, specially on the aftermarket. I've seen the bootleg ones (the ice cream series) when someone tried to sell them to me as if they were legit and it was really hard to see the difference.
    7 days ago
    Ruttsu as Ruttsu
    FlyingToNowhere (9 days ago) #34339076Honestly, 16-year-olds need to be saving money for college or other future expenses anyway. I'd never tell a teenager that they need to be spending $70-120 on a figure to be a "good" collector. Once you get older and have a better, stable income, if you're still interested in figures, you'll probably then find authentic ones to be more rewarding to collect.If they need to save money for the future, I'd tell them to not waste money on trash, and wait until they have money to buy the real thing.
    8 days ago
    -3pt

Your comment is one of the irony of today's world. I live in 3rd world country, my parent are just middle class worker. Back when i was kid they still can buy me like this ITEM #25884 and many other branded figures.

Most of the characters we know are for kids/teenage, and i "collect good figures" when i was kid lool. It just sad that most kid cant enjoying good figures from their beloved characters nowadays, even they have to fight with adult scalpers :)
    9 days ago
    -6pt
    tigersjoseph (9 days ago) #34337396I fully understand where you and other people are saying. But yes, judging from the -8 points on my comment, i see people here very much dislike bootleg figures, and that's fine. Although i do indeed collect bootlegs, i shouldn't be continuously put down. My passion is just as big as anyone else on here, i love collecting anime figures, and is my most favourite hobby. A figure is a figure no matter if it's a bootleg or authentic, and i will stick to that.

9 days ago
    Lol, from what i see from other legit hobby forums, you will always get burned if supporting bootleg industry.

Back in the day you will easily find most of the figurines you want on the store, now its all about brutal licensing lol, segmenting quality/price, and pre ordering. Demand are higher then before because the internet, but supply is limited because of the business model.

Look at seiya scm series, i think some Brazilian collectors work with chinese factory, they produce high quality copies, and sell like hot cakes. Its all about demand since the aftermarket for the genuine is crazy.

I have friend in here worked at outsource factory for well known US sport shoes brand, it cost only $25-$30 a pair for $150-200 retail :D

Im starting to collect figurines this year, thanks to MFC i can tracing back old figurines. If only im stil have my chogokins collection back in the early 90's lol..
    9 days ago
    -8pt
    Myondaze (9 days ago) #34333687Buying bootlegs hurts the industry. You're giving your money to those who sell fakes instead of an authentic that actually contributes to the series or company it's made from. Of course if it's pre-owned then it doesn't matter. It goes without saying authentic have better quality than bootlegs. Tbh I'd just wait and save up until I can afford authentic ones, but I realize not everyone can do that. Maybe stick to prize figures or trading figures? I mean you can do as you wish, but this community does not support the bootleg industry.

9 days ago
    I used to buy bootleg Naruto trading figures frequently when I was a kid. I had no idea they were bootlegs at the time, and was just using them as placeholders to go with the action figures from Mattel. I got rid of them as I got older, and the quality was nowhere near the rest of my collection.

Nowadays, of the hundreds of American and Japanese figures I own, only two are bootlegs. One is a MK43 Marvel Select Iron Man, and I don't actually consider it a bootleg, because no original exists. It's also slightly more expensive than official Marvel Select figures, is the only instance of a Tony Stark head sculpt in 7" scale, and is the center piece for my Avengers figures.

*Glances nervously at previous posters not responding to bootlegs with hatred or regret being thumbed down to Hell*

The other...is ITEM #315826 Now, the case with this one is something anyone who was ever interested in this figure probably heard about. I pre-ordered her from Crunchyroll in a bundle with ITEM #315819 during a 20% off sale for the excellent price of $133.60. Of course, a month from release, she was cancelled everywhere outside of Asia, because she was too sexy for "children", and prices skyrocketed to the point where getting one brand new for under $200 was difficult. After being burned, I had no intention of paying more than three times what I did in the first place, so when I saw how nice the bootleg looked for $30, I picked it up. The Kari that came with it was pretty bad, but I had bought ITEM #237912 beforehand so I display them together. Of course, if they re-release the official figure for a decent price, I would probably buy her, but I'm honestly pretty satisfied with the bootleg.
    9 days ago
    I love this kind of blog.

I can sense just by reading comments here that we will have a healthy community and industry ahead of us for the betterment of other future collectors and hobbyists.
    9 days ago
    FirstPrev123NextLast
Anime Collectibles - Figures, Keychains, Trade Card Accessories and more!