HomeArticlesArticle #40297Comments

June 2018: A Prize Figure, Action Figures and a Grail.Comments • June 2018: A Prize Figure, Action Figures and a Grail.

I've been looking at ordering the Taito Mikus I had to pass on and some older Monogatari prize figures. I'm excited about the Halloween Miku and pre-ordered the 2ND Winter one. Also got that Madoka EXQ figure, it's pretty neat and hope they make the other girls. I've come to appreciate prize figures more lately but I still have some scales on order/wishlist too.
    4 months ago
    i love prize figures. but it's not necessarily about them being prize vs scale to me, i just collect what i like and i love my collection, which involves a lot of prize figures. they were a necessity early in collecting, but now that i can afford more expensive items, i... keep buying them. after owning some more expensive items, i've come to realize that i'm personally not a huge quality junkie type. my few scales are higher quality, sure, but to me it's not a bigger factor than the design and style of the figure, so they still stand equally among the prize figures in my collection (to me).
    4 months ago
    aurybq (4 months ago) #35702338
    This literally happned to me too.
    Prize figs were my gateway drug but now the scale market is such bullshit they are drawing me back in
    4 months ago
    I bought a total of 3 prize figures when I first started collecting. 1 was an impulse purchase and hated it. (Finally sold it yay) and the 2nd I got I don't care for anymore.

Since the first year of collecting I stopped buying them so I could put that money to better looking figures. Plus I haven't seen any that catch my eye. I almost bought the bnha prize figures but I knew I just wanted them because they're the only ones out there that are close to scales but in reality I don't like how they look.
    4 months ago
    TyjosAzari (4 months ago) #35693705I think that's the best thing about Prize Figures these days, I'm always amazed when they release one that has amazing quality and when it's at a price so tempting it just feels great to get a great figure for less.
    Agreed, the Banpresto figures I have a superior in every way to the Koto Scales I own
    4 months ago
    CaptainZ (4 months ago) #35693549Yeah, I have to agree, Prize figs are getting better and better and making scales seem less tempting.
    This is why I'm not even thinking of PO'ing anymore Scale figures. I'll only buy if they come up for a good price pre-owned

4 months ago
    4 months ago
    I'm sort of cutting back on the number of prize figures I buy to focus more on higher-end figures in part because my available "open" display space is getting to be at a premium.

For a while, I was collecting all the FuRyu Sonico figures that were made, but then they started making them much smaller in scale. The older ones were 1/7-ish, and some of the newer ones have been more like 1/9, which is just too small IMO to really get any level of detail.

I am still collecting the Sega prize Vocaloid figures, in part because they are large in scale and their quality has really improved. There's also so many of them that I don't feel any compulsion to try to collect them all!
    4 months ago