HomeArticlesArticle #40411Comments

Upgrading my Billy shelfComments • Upgrading my Billy shelf

I am a DETOLF girl myself for display cases! But I really love the Billy Case - may consider getting one for myself! Currently we have 6 DETOLF, and used the strip LED lights and the "spot light" type lights they sell.

Great job on the display!
    3 months ago
    Ah looks great! Very clean and organized...your placement looks really good as well! Great job with the upgrade!!!
    3 months ago
    Holy shit man, that's awesome! You really pimped your shelf.

Just like some said before me, thanks for showing us Billys can have glass shelves and doors, especially the latter.
    3 months ago
    I'm also a Billy person and thanks to you, I now know that IKEA makes glass tablets for them. I had no idea but I'll be sure to keep that in mind for the future.
    Thanks a bundle ;-)
    3 months ago
    Your shelves look really good! I'm glad you posted these pictures because I don't have a proper display shelf, and I was planning to go the Billy route once I move and have space for it. It's a very neat and clean looking design with the glass doors, and I like that the sides aren't glass like the Detolf so the figures have a bit of a backdrop. The combination of books and figures also looks really great! It gives the eye a bit of a rest from just figures.
    3 months ago
    mintea (3 months ago) #36663047Looks super good. it looks great. The risers especially look great :') Where'd you get them if you don't mind me asking
    (sweating tho cos I use a detolf)
    oh edit im a dope i thought you moved the fallout stuff somewhere else, n I managed to miss it at the top

The risers I use
    www.amiami.com/...
    They work perfectly in a detolf too
    3 months ago

(sweating tho cos I use a detolf)

3 months ago
    aoyatan (3 months ago) #36660140Depends... Custom made is always more expensive... So I would say go for the new shelf... The glass shelves on the new one is also more secured than the old one and the doors are also more secured...
    A new shelf with glass doors... Around 1200 sek... Around 130 euro at least here in sweden... So if the custom made cost less... Maybe... But still custom may not fit super great and... If you want more in the future, they would not look the same

Ah I see... Since I live in the US, getting a new billy shelf would be roughly $170, or 145 euros (unless I buy the shelf and doors separately in order to get a cheaper quality shelf at the same height for the doors for a cheaper price)... But getting new ones would make sense just because I don't think it's worth it to upgrade shelves that are 20+ years old... >_>
    3 months ago
    Jisung (3 months ago) #36659293Okay I have a question for you. I have a billy bookshelf that I want to upgrade as well, but the only problem is that Ikea doesn't have the height for the glass doors I want because these shelves are older than I am (over 20 years old... My parents used them and then let me have them). So what do you think I should do for the glass doors? Should I just get a new shelf that has the right height, or should I just get custom-made glass doors? I don't really wanna pay too much...

3 months ago
    bomhat because I'm batman
    that looks real damn good, mate. great idea
    3 months ago