HomeArticlesArticle #42324Comments

Making a search tool.Comments • Making a search tool.

Katsura_ (6 days ago) #54351567Yeah, I know that without the valid cert files I won't be able to decrypt from https, but what really puzzles me is that despite being on https, I could still do my business on Mandarake.

Different site, different cert chain. MFC is using Let's Encrypt, which isn't always in cert stores, as they issue free certificates. Mandarake is using GeoTrust, which is probably more trusted, and likely their root certs are in the cert store.
    6 days ago
    tharglet (6 days ago) #54350737Ah yes, MFC is on HTTPS, so likely you will have to add their cert chain to the Java certificate store, if it isn't already in there.

6 days ago
    Katsura_ (6 days ago) #54350546I wasn't planning on using any public APIs since I'm also pretty sure they don't exist. I was going to web scrape with java.net.URL from the get go. I was able to find and store the price and availability of an item from a Mandarake store page (So I was able to get it working) but I run into a security problem when I try it here at MFC.
    I'm getting a sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException, whatever that is when I try to read lines on MFC.

6 days ago
    tharglet (7 days ago) #54246596snip

6 days ago
    What "certification" are you on about? I'd be surprised if Mandarake has a public API that people can use... I know some retailers *do* have an API, but I doubt Manda has one. If so, you'd be limited to page scraping, which isn't too hard on the Manda site. But probably not a good thing to be doing for a compsci project, though.

I mean, their site code is pretty basic in how it works:
    function selectAnnounceListKeyword() {
    var select = document.getElementById("keywordList");
    var keywordIndex = select.options[select.selectedIndex].value;
    location.href = "/order/mypage/announceList" + "?keywordIndex=" + keywordIndex;
    }

Sites written on top an actual API tend to look much different in the way page interaction works e.g. AmiAmi you can see the JSON payloads in the request. No company in their right mind would let a rando at their backend, so if there isn't an API, I wouldn't expect anything better than what you can access as a plain user.

I guess you could send a message to Nakano (their head office is in the same building as the Nakano stores), but I wouldn't be surprised if they look at you funny or straight-up ignore a non-store related inquiry, especially if it isn't in Japanese.

If you have details on something that definitely does exist, then maybe I could advise on how to use it (programming is my day job).
    7 days ago
    Bearcat (7 days ago) #54243759Isn't that exactly what FigInStock does???
    It’s closed now though
    7 days ago
    Isn't that exactly what FigInStock does???
    7 days ago
Your source for old and rare figurines!