HomeArticlesArticle #43900Comments

Light at the end of the tunnel of figuresComments • Light at the end of the tunnel of figures

This is such a nice thread, like it feels like there are a lot of people who become less interested or people who are put off by the rising prices, but this is a nice lot of positivity, and I'm saying this as someone whose love of figures is a lot less than it once was.
    10 days ago
    Yes, I can say somewhat the same. I started collecting about a year ago after moving away from friends and family to go to graduate school. I found the reddit community and MFC and it helped me feel connected to people who had shared interests. At first I felt like figures were kind of hard for me to manage finically but now I pay up front for preorders and I feel that really helps me manage the expense. Plus in this way I can just be happy waiting to receive the figure!

I put most of my figures and goods in my room and that way I think its nice to be able to relax at the end of the day and see something like a collection that I worked hard to get. I never really had anything else to spend money on the past couple years in undergraduate so its nice to feel I earned something tangible with my money.
    11 days ago
    Well I sure do love my collection. It shows me that if I put a goal on my mind I can do it and the figures are physical representations of my effort. Of course I'm planning on setting my goal onto other things but figure collecting has been a great step towards my next goals :)
    11 days ago
    I can totally relate to that feeling. Living in the place I live in is a tough ordeal. Not sure if you're familiar with the situation in Venezuela for the past couple of years? Simply put, and to keep things short, living here is impossible due to a plethora of reasons. It's almost impossible to not feel depressed, restricted or put down in any way, shape or form. Figure collecting, however, as provided with both solace and enjoyment.

After seeing many collections online, lots of them on this very site, I found out that was something I always wanted to take part in. Only in recent years due to a more steady income and the help of a great friend I've been able to continue in this hobby, but yes, I can definitely say that figure collecting has been a way for me to keep my mind busy and to have something to cheer me up in my life. It's just nice seeing them on display on a regular basis and how they adorn my room. I guess you could say they kind of help in providing a cheery mood to the place I live in, despite all the rather bleak circumstances I may be surrounded with. =)

That and videogames have also helped me keep my mind busy and in check, really.
    11 days ago
    I'm trying to leave the hobby but can't sell my figures... they have ads but nobody has bought them, so they're still taking up space in my detolf lol! I am trying to get into making miniatures and creating my own dioramas, rather than buying anything someone else has made...
    11 days ago
    going back to figure collecting earlier this year after 6 yrs stop DID improve my morale, last 3yrs have been one bad experience after the other in personal life, work and study, so having that 1 thing you can always count on, something that has to do only with yourself and won't leave unless YOU want to leave it... it really helped feeling a little better, but it doesn't change all the things i couldn't do anything about and it's only a temporary pleasure anyway.
    Sure, you gotta "move on" when you lose something, but it's easier said than done.
    11 days ago
    Yeah, I can relate. I feel like my overall mood has improved in the past year or two, particularly since my collection really started to take off. I always look forward to receiving a new figure or one of my pre-orders; especially those that have been on order for many months.

On a bad day (today is bit up and down, tbh) I like to remind myself how far my collection has come by looking at old photos of it. It looks so pitiful, I can't help but laugh. And no matter how miserable I am, looking at my ultimate holy grail towering over everything cheers me right up.

Hope you feel better soon :)
    12 days ago
    I can definitely relate. To be honest, while cutting down on preorders and not ordering as much as I did before has been liberating, I missed the hobby a lot. I kind of got back into it, but now I'm only looking out for the figures that really matter, the ones I would love to have as part of my collection to the point that I'm satisfied with it. I've just recently gotten through something in my life that has been plaguing me since 2014 - and now that it's finally gone, I've turned to rekindling this hobby again, and it's been a great comfort indeed! It feels like all the figures that's about to come in the mail are the fruits of all my labor for those five years. It's awesome. Not that I didn't have that sense of comfort when I was collecting before; but now that a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders, it really feels like I'm seeing figure collecting in a different light. Before, I used it as an escape from that dreadful sense of doom; but now, I'm actually using it to reward myself, and I think that change in mindset has not only made me happier about figure collecting, but has also helped me make smarter decisions. Figures no longer fill a void, but they enhance my life.

Plus, I don't know if I'm just weird, but even if I'm cooped up in my room I find it hard to feel sad - how could I, when I'm surrounded by all my husbandos and sons? X'D
    12 days ago
    Light at the end of the tunnel to me means , it is time to leave this hobby forever . and hopefully I get that strength to stop pre ordering any new figures and start a different hobby that produces some money such as painting or drawing ...etc.
    Wish me good luck
    12 days ago
    I definitely relate to feeling like figures give me something to look forward to. Sometimes, when I'm having a tough month, it can be very soothing to think, "I just have to get through to the end of the month and then [figure I've been anticipating for almost a year] will arrive."
    12 days ago
    FirstPrev12NextLast
Buy from Japan. Easier than ever.