HomeArticlesArticle #44161Comments
Buy Anime figurines and japanese popculture collectibles at figuya.com

Do you ask for figures as gifts?Comments • Do you ask for figures as gifts?

I never ask for figurines for gifts, because most tend to be pricey and I wouldn't even want anyone to spend more than $10 on me lol. Friends know I collect but not the details; I realise I've become more private about my hobbies. I now lack the enthusiasm to fangirl and to live so I don't interact with most enough to be gift-worthy. Since a decade ago I've been intentionally hiding my birthday irl too so nobody would approach me so that's also a factor.

My family doesn't celebrate hoidays, with the exception of Chinese New Year, where we just eat (equivalent to Thanksgiving) and the elders give the unmarried young'uns cash in traditional red packets, so I guess it indirectly counts if I want to buy figures with myself with that.
    3 days ago
    kaitylee Kawaii Mistress
    I do, and my husband pretty much always just says "alright go preorder it", and that's that LOL.
    With my mom, she'll look around for the best websites and ask me if they're legit or not. Sometimes she just gives me the money for the figure
    3 days ago
    Seeing the answers in here, I guess I've got somewhat of a unique/enviable situation because not only do both of my parents collect figures, but they've been doing it since long before I was born. My dad generally collects 1/6 military figures, starting out with G.I Joes back when he was a kid, and nowadays going for more high-end collectibles like Hot Toys. Whereas my mom has always had more of an assortment of things with very little rhyme or reason, though, has narrowed her focus to Funko Pops in recent years. So, because of that, asking for figures as gifts has never been strange, as I'm often returning the favor.
    3 days ago
    I do, but I usually only ask for nendoroids. I just save up for scales myself OR they give me cash as a gift (usually 100-200$) and I contribute that toward a scale. I did receive the gothic style aoba scale as a congratulatory gift. It’s the one scale I’ve gotten from family
    3 days ago
    I only ask for prize figures (or others that are cheap) like ITEM #443408 and ITEM #537793. There are many scale figures on my wishlist, but I could never ask friends/family to get them for me since they're so expensive. '^^
    3 days ago
    Elise_Grimwald Genius Puppeteer
    I ask for them all the time. Usually, I specify which ones I want. I've received ITEM #26558, ITEM #582417, ITEM #5527 (and the rest of this set), ITEM #6545, ITEM #167125 (the rest of this set, as well), ITEM #6596, ITEM #124748, and ITEM #604427.

Elf, Sailor Jupiter, Rufus, and Luka were surprises, though. Some were Amazon wish list items (I do share that to make sure I don't end up with two of the same figure), and some were completely unexpected.

I do make sure to keep figures I ask for under $60, as I don't expect $200 scales for Christmas. I do wishlist the aforementioned expensive scales, but that's more or less for me to keep track of them. I don't expect them.

I also give them :).
    3 days ago
    aigis (3 days ago) #70127712i’ve bought and received figures for and from both friends and family :)
    my favorite story is regarding ITEM #98662. i had received gsc’s inori figure around the time my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. she was really enamoured with the figure, so for christmas i bought her the inori nendoroid and explained what she did to save shu at the end of the series, and how i thought it was really unexpected that my mom took to a character that literally saved someone’s life from cancer. my mom keeps inori by her bed holding the cat’s cradle to this day.

I see, thanks for sharing and I hope your mom is well. Glad that you were able to connect with her and have a positive experience related to a figure.
    3 days ago
    aigis kuso teitoku
    i’ve bought and received figures for and from both friends and family :)

3 days ago
    Nope xD why?because I dont want to make people pay such amount of money on gifts and second,because they wouldn't know what figures I want without me telling them.I know I should appreciate what I get but tbh,I prefer buying figures myself in order to avoid wasted money.For gifts,if it is to happen,I prefer more symbolic objects or things that I can actually use.However,if anyone does it behind my back and actually goes to order me something,I guess I will appreciate the gesture and effort that somone did for me :) But as for me asking myself for a figure as a gift,that ain't gonna happen. Besides,going back to my first point,I would feel bad even asking somone to pay for a pre ordered figure of mine.I am aware how expensive they are wheter it's a scale or nendo and I much rather prefer me paying them with my own money.
    3 days ago
    Nobody who loves me enough to make a gift like that knows how or where to make this kind of international niche purchase so no, I never ask ^^U the closest I've been to something like that was when I was looking for a graphic tablet online and my mom said "you buy it and I'll pay you back! that's your birthday gift!" LOL a bit weird and uncomfortable but I got what I needed and she didn't have to look for something to give me... I wouldn't dare to do it for a figure though ^^U
    3 days ago