HomeArticlesArticle #44171Comments

monthly budget for collectingComments • monthly budget for collecting

No strict budget but I only try to buy figures that I would miss if I don’t PO. I also sell figures if I don’t like them as much as I thought. But a rough estimate is about $300 per month including other merch and not just figures.
    8 days ago
    dandybaby (10 days ago) #70191019I never used to have one, which ended up being an expensive mistake (and lesson).
    I agree with the top voted comment, state of mind has a lot to do with it. During one low spell, I bought 4 grails and a few other figures over the course of about 3 weeks. Ended up being somewhere around $2k all up. See ya, savings. That sure made life difficult for a while. For the record: I don't regret any of my purchases, just that I was so reckless.
    These days I aim to spend no more than $350, but it's difficult when all your pre-orders decide they're gonna release in the same month, ugh.
    I don't have a preference for quality or quantity. Some months I might get one scale or one action figure. Another month I might get 4 Nendoroids. It changes all the time.

yeah i am much more likely to hit the button on a preorder that i'm so/so about depending on my mood. but also what you talked about preorders stacking, this is why i like to pay up front if possible. that way, if the preorder moves, i'm not burdened the following month. but i've also started to put away money in a separate place in my bank account so that i have the money no matter what.
    10 days ago

10 days ago
    I set myself an annual budget instead of a monthly one because: a) Even my annual budget is not that much, and b) I just don't buy or PO figures that regularly now.

By the way I also set caps for each kind of figures (Action figures, scaled ones, etc.). Now I literally can’t Po anything new with those caps (For example, my cap for 15 cm action figures is around 8000 JPY, far below average figma price nowadays) and turned my limited focus on pre-owned old releases.
    10 days ago
    I decided to set my monthly budget for figures at 200€. I don‘t include manga because I only collect a handful of series. I usually don‘t buy anime as I watch them online (Netflix and so on) and I only rarely buy new games.
    That means for me that I have to plan my POs carefully. There are months where I don‘t spend much so I can afford an expensive scale that will be released in a later month and so on. I do save up the money that‘s left of my budget at the end of each month. So although I had to pay more than my monthly budget and I hadn’t planned to buy him I was still able to spontaneously afford ITEM #728451 with my budget :D

An exception are cons tho. I‘m only attending a few (usually 3) cons every year and I allow myself to spend the money I bring with me (100-200€) on figures as well which I usually only do when I want to buy exclusive Nendoroids that you can only get at cons.

Personally I prefer quality over quantity when it comes to scales but I mostly only get Nendoroids anyways xD

It‘s not my goal to have a whole room filled with figures tbh so I don‘t feel the need to rise my budget. I don‘t really have the money anyways as I have some other rather expensive hobbies and am still - 3 years after moving out - in the progress of getting furniture for my apartment lol.
    10 days ago
    Anywhere from $50-$1000+, depending on what's coming out, what I have pre-ordered, statues on payment plans, etc. Yearly is easier to estimate, and I'd estimate that usually comes out to $4000-$5000 or so.
    10 days ago
    SebastianLover (10 days ago) #70190362One time, with pre-orders and pre-owned shopping, I spent $1500. I feel like I'm confessing a drug addiction.XD

LOL "hi my username is galablue and im a FIGURE COLLECTING ADICT!" - me when i joined this website.

yes mood totally affects my collecting. if i've had a bad day i'm more likely to jump on a preorder than if i'm having a good one, partially because it's like giving a gift to myself.
    10 days ago
    Moomoogirl1 (10 days ago) #70190363Looking at several other comments, their votes up are now lower. Not sure people's reasoning for down voting, but it strikes me as odd (and petty) since we're all just sharing how much we spend on figures. No wonder users stated in a previous article they're not so thrilled to comment anymore.
    I hope this comment doesn't derail from the main purpose of this article and I apologize if it does.

honestly i don't care if a comment "derails" a topic on hand, because everyone can still see my original blog post and i really don't mind tangents. it's my blog post anyhow so people can say whatever they want lol!

i have a few lurkers who go around my articles and downvote people that respond, so i am not surprised that it happened. i just wish everyone could be a little more relaxed on this website ... i mean, we're all in this hobby together, aren't we? but again there are great people like you and everyone who responds who makes making blogs worth while ^_^
    10 days ago
    galablue (10 days ago) #70190257felt the need to reply to you because i have no idea why people downvoted you? if someone who downvoted her could please explain, i am confused. her reasoning is completely valid and is something i follow as well.

10 days ago
    I don't have a strict figure budget per se. I have saving and debt repayment goals I focus on first and then spend whatever I have leftover if I feel like it. A good month is $600 or less. I did go overboard with pre-ordering figures last year when I started my new job and got a sweet RSU program, so my monthly preorders are probably $500 on average and sometimes around $1k with the delays. ._. Then sometimes I depression shop if I'm having a rough time. Even buying preowned, I can spend a lot. One time, with pre-orders and pre-owned shopping, I spent $1500. I feel like I'm confessing a drug addiction.XD Malachi's comment is right on the money tbh.

I do quality over quantity hands down. I'd rather get one superb figure than 10 not as good ones. Hence it's easy to run up the price tag. ^^;
    10 days ago