Comments Boxes, Boxes EVERYWHERE

• Jenthehen Otaku at Law
    Shnakay10 days ago#87145119This is a really good point. I know it’s silly to have a large/growing collection without at least ditching some boxes but it’s a tough practice to follow through. I don’t buy with the intention to sell, however there’s always that “what if I don’t love it in ten years, what if I leave the hobby?”
    So thank you for speaking honestly and saying that realistically not every box can be kept or is really that important.

Yep! Also, people love to act like it's impossible to sell figures without the box, but that's just not true in my experience. I have purchased no box figures and have sold many. Yeah, it does affect the price, but if you truly are leaving the hobby / don't want the figure anymore and aren't worried about how much of a profit you make, you can always find SOME buyer at the right price!
    10 days ago
    Jenthehen11 days ago#87082857At some point (which varies for different collectors) it just isn't feasible to keep EVERY SINGLE BOX. For the most part, I ditch prize figure boxes, trading figure boxes, and most nendoroid boxes (keep the parts in little drawer organizers). I also decide on a case by case basis which to keep and consider how simple a figure is (would it be easy to sell/ship boxless?), if the aftermarket price plummeted such that box or no box makes little difference (I'm not going to make much $$ at all if I sell either way, so who cares?), and if it is a figure that I've had for a long time and will never sell unless I am basically quitting collecting and getting rid of everything!
    That being said, I still have a lot of boxes, but probably about a third or so of my collection is boxless. Also a word to the wise - keep track via a list which figures you don't have boxes for - it will safe you the pain and suffering of searching for a box you forgot you got rid of.
    In the past, I flattened some boxes in lieu of tossing, but then I decided that was pretty much pointless. The ONLY benefit is proving authenticity if there is a hologram sticker on a box.

10 days ago
    This is funny because I now consider the box situation I’ve got going my “lifelong Tetris game” so when I tell my friends that I am playing my lifelong Tetris game they all know I’m rearranging my figure boxes to fit in my storage better.
    11 days ago
    When I was new into collecting, I kept most of the boxes because I thought they looked pretty, but for whatever brainless reason I kept throwing away the plastic blisters... Eventually the boxes were just useless, taking a lot of room in my closet, so I decided to throw nearly all of them away a few months ago. It'd suck if I ever had to move out, but I don't really regret anything.
    11 days ago
    Elise_Grimwald Genius Puppeteer
    Unless it's a windowless trading figure, I keep all of my boxes. I figure if I ever need to sell them or move, I'd need those boxes (especially for scales D:). Prize figures often don't come with blister packs, so those can easily be flattened, and the cardboard can be flattened as well and both can be stored together. Nendo boxes are uniform sized, and are easy to store. Scale figure boxes I wouldn't even think of trashing. All of my boxes, aside from scale boxes that are huge, are put inside the boxes AmiAmi sends. I can fit at least 10 nendoroid boxes in one box, sometimes more, and some can even store scales and still fit other figures.
    11 days ago
    Jenthehen Otaku at Law

11 days ago
    Every box that's just prize/Pop Up parade figures get's thrown away. Sucks when I resell them but honestly? I'd rather take the 5-10 € less over having to bother with finding a place for them.

I keep most of my figures' more expensive boxes though. Half of them I keep in a cupboard, half of them I keep on a shelf in my office (the shelf) until I've bought another cupboard for my cleaning utensils .. and boxes.

A few of the boxes I have are actually used as decoration though - some of them have really good art or design on them so I just stack them and use them as decoration or elevation to put plushies on (like here & here).

Bad pictures but it's late ...
    12 days ago
    In my case I only though boxes that are ugly .in other words , there isn’t any pictures on the box , or poor quality box or the figure it self doesn’t worth that much in the market of pre owned. Finally I know that figures I am not going to sell it .
    12 days ago
    For me i don't throw away boxes, i do tend to rotate my display so figures go back in their boxes but that is mostly prize figures that get moved around.

Some mention of flattening boxes, i have done this but only with prize figure boxes or trading figure boxes that don't have a blister.

Can't see me moving as the house is ours and plenty big enough for us but my wife won't let my collection take over the whole house, pity. So have been working on making my loft better as storage space so i can store boxes up there if needed without worrying.

At the moment space is ok but i have a few scales on order that will require more creative use of space so need my loft space to be ready.

I have also used shipping boxes to store stuff, they are handy if they are a good size.
    12 days ago
    I keep the nice looking boxes above my cabinets and the rest I wrap up in plastic bags and put inside moving boxes in my storage room. I have floor protection and dehumidifiers in the storage room as well. The floor protection raises the boxes above floor level.
    12 days ago