Comments 10 years on MFC

Be proud of your inner child
  • Chloe-tsundere The louise otaku
    View spoilerHide spoilerThank you! :) And yeah I think quite a lot of people get to a point where they want to downsize or set a certain limit. In theory I could be placing display cabinets on every empty bit of floor, but I also want everything to remain aesthetically pleasing. :)

I think the most fun part about this blog (and my previous one), is when I get to the next one in another 5 years to see how far I really got with my ideas/goals. With my blog of 5 years ago I was completely not thinking about making my collection more specific for example, but now it's a huge subject for me.

Exactly that. I can still put em pretty much everywhere but it feels overwhelming now. Especially now that I got a bf that isn't a fan of anime, whereas I watch way less than usual as well and think game stuff will be my main focus.

I'm curious how far you will get :) but it seems like a good choice.
    6 hours ago
    Hey Congratulations Maakie on making 10 years here. You have really contributed to the articles, comments and the community on this site and made it better as a result. And always so positive. Thank you for your positivity for these last ten years, The site wouldn't be what it is now without you (and i mean that in a very good way) . Your articles are always written with such TLC, and now going on to document them instead of being lost to the ages, you know the back story for each figure you have and can write down so articulately the reason why they are special to you. This deserves more attention!

I also really like how you focus on the figures from the 90's and the 00's, they don't seem to get any attention in many other places.

I hope you will be around for the next 10 years!
    9 hours ago
    This post simultaneously made me very sad and happy hahah
    16 hours ago
    Chloe-tsundere1 day ago#92755852Ah im exactly like you there, also been on mfc for many years and saw the updates over time. I also noticed as we discussed on profile, that many old friends simply left. Price changes also dont hekp for me either and i also collect mainly merch now as it felt more satisfying plus more useful as in i can actual use most stuff that i buy :)
    I also dont want to move 100s of figs anymore, not to mention the risk cause each time 1 seems to break :( or small damage at least and that saddens me so much...
    So im already downsizing to 100 which im pretty much there already (prepainted, not counting amiibos that i dont display)
    And then when the time comes i ont need to rush sales you know? And i just feel like 2 detols full is probably enough plus the louises. I alo plan to have kids so for each their own but for me that means no overly lewds that are (semi) nude and not too many ecchi lolis either. (I cant get rid of my kojikan girls, theyre just too precious same for kobato catgirl, rest is debatable,might go)
    So totally feel you there! We even plan to buy a house once its up for sale (newly build) so have to wait a bit but most likely in 2 years we move... so i rather move as little as possible eventho our house will be bigger than now.. :) can always rebuy if i really miss stuff so i tend to sell for prices i can rebuy and so far that has worked out for me! (More local sales rather than mfc)
    And keep it to specific themes (game stuff, louise , top 10 characters only, exceptions 20 max only is goal atm)
    I do still enjoy our talks and i read your blogs (just dont always reply to them rlly)
    Maybe i should make a blog too since i just reached 10 years as well haha

Lyncfs23 hours ago#92765688I've always enjoyed your blogs and I believe we've PM'd a few times too.
    Been on MFC for 6 years now and I agree the interaction has slowed down a lot. I feel like back then, people used to be more excited or positive about figures and willing to chat. Much like a lot of social media, most of the comments seem more negative these days. People are more critical about price, sculpt, paint etc. I've been blogging and commenting a lot less too.
    As for collection wise, I've been selling a lot myself. Space issues aside, I also want to focus on figures I love - mostly for their art style. I find a lot of the older figures I bought 3-4 years ago are somewhat inferior to the new ones. It's a lot of work to sell, but at the same time I feel happy that a figure is going to someone who will enjoy it.
    Cheers to 10 years! I hope you continue to post and interact with folks and meet your collection goals.

Thank you for the kind comment! :)

It's kind of odd, right? We get a lot more articles every day and there seems to be more posting in the blogs, but the overall interaction has gone down. I guess a lot of people feel less attached to this website nowadays? Or maybe rather they don't use it as their 'main' site?

And same. :) Some of the feedback on my eBay will say things like "I've been looking for this item for years!" and that makes me really happy that it got to a good home. ^^

I'll be doing a 15 years blog for sure as well! ^^
    22 hours ago
    I've always enjoyed your blogs and I believe we've PM'd a few times too.

23 hours ago
    Chloe-tsundere The louise otaku

Maybe i should make a blog too since i just reached 10 years as well haha
    1 day ago
    buffoon1 day ago#92755156Congratulations! Yours is one of the names I always recognize :)
    Mine should say 12, instead of 11, but I changed my user name after the first year. I came here because St_Jimmy ST_JIMMY recommended it way back when to a bunch of us. It definitely was Tsuki-board then. I believe 13 years users.v4.php?mo... is the oldest date of membership.
    Ha Ha - don't feel old, I am 71 and my spouse is 74 and we are both still actively collecting. When they come into our house to find out if we are alive or dead someone is going to either recognize they hit the jackpot or cuss us and throw out all this junk that they have no clue is worth a small fortune!

I salute you sir; you have quite the impressive figure collection!
    1 day ago
    Maakie
    Hehe, close to the 10 years as well! I'm not sure how morbid you find it to talk about, but did you actually think about how to 'end' your collection? Even if my retirement wish does not turn out the way I want I still don't think I would want to get to old age with a room full of figures. I would like to find new owners for the items rather than leaving it behind. I'm sure my family members wouldn't be that happy to inherit this stuff from 'the weird aunt' so I would rather sell it (or gift, depending on if I need money at that time) to collectors that would appreciate it. But on the other hand, in another 20 years would people still really care about some items that are now almost 20 years old already?
    For some reason, although you talk about space constraints, I do always have the feeling you still manage to put it all in your collection somewhere, haha! Do you actually see a point coming soon where you 'must' be selling? Or at least boxing some things up that it can't be in displays anymore?

I don't find it morbid, at least not any more than other thoughts that one day I won't be here and someone will have to do something with all the stuff that is left behind. Although in my late 40's, I am increasingly mindful that statistically there are fewer days ahead than behind...

A few months back, I did cull a few items from my display with the rationale that if those items could get boxed up, be stashed in the closet, and not really missed for 6 months or so, then I would sell them. I'm just about to that point.

I have plenty of display space, there is still room, and I am able to display everything, but the amount of space is decreasing, and at the point when it hits saturation, I may go to the "one item in, one item out" model.
    1 day ago

About your username, nowadays you are allowed to change it, but I think that only happened with V4...before that I also saw more regularly someone moving to a new account because they wanted a different name.

Seems like 1st of April 2008 was the earliest possibility of having an MFC account.

Oh wow! 71/74 and still actively buying and selling?? I don't think I will last that long in the hobby haha. I heard people a couple of times about leaving documentation about the values and sales places for these items for whoever inherits the items and is tasked with selling or otherwise getting rid of them. I would be sad if they would get trashed!

Wario541 day ago#92755186Wow 10 years! Hard to believe that I’m getting close to 10 years on this site too because mentally I feel like I’m at the same place I was back when I first made this account... I just want toys and games. XD But I’m glad you’re still around even though a lot of other people you knew left, otherwise we wouldn’t have started talking! Even before we started talking, I saw you as such a big presence on this site, so hopefully you’ll stick around for many more years to come. :D

Oh, interesting! Because we only started talking more recently I didn't realize you were here for a longer time as well! And thank you! As long as this hobby still interests me and the website is not dead I plan to keep on posting. :)

LittlePisces1 day ago#92755549Thank you for being a kind friend Maakie! Even if this site is hit and miss, I am happy to see people like you keeping things afloat. I remember you were the few people I talked to a lot when I didn't have many friends back when I first started out.

Thank you for the kind words! :)

Akiza1 day ago#9275555010 years! Count me impressed.
    For lack of MFC activity I just think the system with forums feels extremely dated compared to Twitter, or discord channels. I always have treated this site as a database more than anything.
    I started in 2016 and I am starting to feel the price squeeze in the pre-owned market too, where I usually buy. It is getting harder to find things at fair prices and stuff fairly priced sells in an instant

Well, back when I started using MFC forums were still more of a standard on the internet. :') But the overtaking of social media had started because around that same time I also saw more other websites I would frequent closing down or getting a lot less active.

Yeah nowadays 'a good deal' is when something that released for 14-16K is there second hand 10-12K. It still feels a bit wild for me as my most active buying was during a time where pre-orders weren't even close to 10K. So yeah any figure buying takes a lot more thinking and meanwhile I have increased merchandise buying as I don't feel the price increase that badly when it comes to apparel and all kinds of random goods.

ManofCulture1 day ago#92755606Dayuum Maakie! 10 years... congrats that's some serious dedication to your craft. By that I specifically mean your articles as you probably have the highest count out of anyone I've seen yet. It's pretty inspiring and I myself keep telling myself I will eventually throw an article out there into the wild, but my effort level's are still at the "meh" stage. Maybe one day. As for engaging with the MFC users, idk you seem to respond often enough so I think you do more than you give yourself credit for.
    Oh and I didn't forget about the last message you sent, will probably respond to that one after this. I just started this hobby and you've actually got me asking myself long-term questions like what I'll do at the retirement stage with these figures and that's still a long ways off for me. Got to give you respect for the hustle tho. Over 1,000 figures owned, wow. Anyway congrats once again Maakie.

You can actually see the amount of articles posted here: community.v4.ph... . Seems like Victor has the first spot with me second. :)

Well, my older articles please don't look them up weren't great and it took me years of practice to find a format that worked and also get better with making pictures. Everyone starts somewhere, so don't feel scared to try it. :)

Oh man, I hope I don't put you into a crisis too soon haha. I don't think those kind of questions are something to think about when you have been collecting for <15 years. I hope you can just enjoy it for a while more before having to plan such things!

Jigokubana1 day ago#92755608Great blog :)

Thank you! Been a while since we spoke, I hope you're doing OK! Will send you a PM. :)

njdrawscomics1 day ago#92755653Also been here 10 years, going close on 11. Life has been insane for me, so much has happened but I keep buying and selling figures lol.

Haha same. When I made the account I was still a college student and a lot has changed since then for sure. 10 years ago I wouldn't have imagined I would have moved to the almost other side of the continent with a huge collection still ongoing. The hobby has slowed down or increased a bit every now and then, but never was really 'over'. :)

Manon19861 day ago#92755699About that, you should put someone in your testament to handle things. My best friend is in my testament for that reason :p
    Hey Maakie! Good to hear from you again! I like reading your blogs and it’s alarming it’s already been 10 years... I’m here since tsuki board, I still call it that btw when talking to Kamira here :p
    Bye!

Makes me think if I should rather have a friend than family member listed to handle this, but most of my friends are the same age or older, so assuming I would die of old age it does not make much sense then. Hrm.

Hehe yeah I notice it as well with my 'older account' friends and then sometimes I see a confused newer person here going 'what is Tsukiboard'? :D
    1 day ago