Comments Liking unpopular characters struggles

• Kaisar Lidfard from Shingeki no Bahamut is my absolute favorite anime boy and he has like....................some of the least amount of merch :'^) I was able to nab an illustration board of him that they had for a Granblue Fantasy Valentine's event and he has a keychain that I have, but that's about it.

I don't think the series is very popular, so I don't really ever expect there to be more merchandise, so I just gotta stuck it up haha.
    2 days ago
    My fave from Yu-Gi-Oh GX is Saiou Takuma (or if you were a dub watcher, Sartorius). He does not exist in merch. screams externally I drew him so much as a kid I could probably still do it with my eyes closed lol.

Honestly though, overall I tend to always prefer the characters that get neglected merch-wise or just aren't as popular. My favourite Pokémon (Sceptile) had ONE plush until a couple years ago, and my favourite Vocaloid (Megpoid GUMI), while not quite as neglected as some other poor characters, got tossed aside pretty quick after the initial burst of merch for her years ago. It can be disappointing when your favourite doesn't get much merch, and sometimes even doujin/fan goods can't make up for that if not enough fans like the character overall.

In some cases it can be a good thing, though, like when you're putting a shrine together or something. My favourite sword from Touken Ranbu is Shishiou and my shrine has been a lot easier to put together than if I had a shrine for a fan favourite like Mikazuki or something. Shishiou gets less merch which is easier on the wallet, plus it doesn't sell as quick since fewer people are interested in the character. In that aspect it works out for me. I'm just happy he at least has a decent scale figure (which I lost my shit over when it was announced lmao), since a lot of swords don't have much more than a trading figure or two.

I'm fairly certain 90% of the reason Shishiou gets any merch is because a lot of TKRB merch releases for every character at the same time. It's a fair way to do things in my opinion since it gives everyone a chance to get some stuff - this is part of why I love the Pokémon Fit plushie line so much too. Still, a lot of the special/unique merch runs either only gets the fan favourites made, or starts with those and makes everyone else wait for their character to show up later.

Also:

kramabrab4 days ago#97931327Not sure if Saiki is popular but the lack of figures of the franchise says otherwise and is saddening.
    Still waiting just for the Nendoroid of him munching on coffee jelly.

SAME THO. I watched the anime with my roommate and it was so ridiculous that we loved it immediately. Still sad it gets almost no love.
    2 days ago
    setokaibaswife ♡ Seto Kaiba's Wife ♡
    lesser-robot-cat3 days ago#97943698Yep, just a handful of TCGs, and I've got 'em in English and Japanese. *endless weeping* His fandom is pretty tiny. When I first started customizing, my friends were like, "So you're gonna do a Reeve, right?!" We've gotta show Square Enix how much we love him! Maybe someday we'll get like. An official can button or something. T-T
    Aw I am rooting for you!!! Also I would love to see that custom.
    3 days ago
    setokaibaswife4 days ago#97932322Ahh that's rough, Cait Sith steals all the attention. I hope you can get something sometime though.
    It's not much, but Final Fantasy TCG has some cards of him I believe.

3 days ago
    setokaibaswife ♡ Seto Kaiba's Wife ♡
    SebastianLover4 days ago#97931302A common struggle. I also am always drawn to side characters for whatever reason.
    My favorite split personality boi is in desperate need of a non-chibi figure of some sort: ENTRY #32667. He does have a Gift plushie which I do own, but I'd like some kind of full-body figure even a prize figure. I'd also kill for more of anything for Shaiapouf from Hunter x Hunter especially a figure or plush, but I'm pretty sure he's very well hated. I just have bad taste in characters lol. Also Pegasus from Yugioh. I can't believe he's less popular than Marik or Bakura. How can Marik get 2 figures and Pegasus gets none? I thought he was super charming, but I guess I'm in the minority. I mean, I love Marik and Bakura too, but Pegasus plz. There's a bunch of others, but these three are my most wished.
    He's not really unpopular, but I nearly died of happiness when Undertaker FINALLY got a figure. I had given up hope for a while since Kuroshitsuji didn't get many figures right away but now he's mine! But Lau and Agni sadly don't seem to be getting such luck. Lau just has a dinky trading figure and I don't think Agni has anything.
    And yes, Rufus! He deserves something. I'm not interested in articulated figures sadly, so I'll have to pass for now, but hopefully there's a mediocre static arts in the works. I also strangely would like a Professor Hojo figure of some sort but again bad taste lol. At least Vincent and Sephiroth have scales albeit mediocre ones. Vincent's is actually not that bad considering how old it is.

I also think Pegasus deserves a figure, it's a shame that Kotobukiya didn't continue their ARTFX J line because I think characters like Pegasus, Mai and Ryou would have had a chance to be included. Maybe even Tea/Anzu too but I feel like she wouldn't fit the line without a cool duelist pose which doesn't suit her, I'm holding out for Megahouse or Amakuni to make her instead since they are making some YGO girls. Who knows though they are giving out the YGO license to more figure companies (big and independent ones too) and I can definitely see Pegasus getting something.

And I was really happy to see some Rufus love from you too haha he is so... ignored. I tend to like morally grey/antagonist characters myself for males (for females I just like the cute and sweet ones, total polar opposites in my taste) and I think there's nothing wrong with it. It's not bad taste in characters to appreciate more than just the heroes. I'm not much a fan of Hojo myself but I don't think he's unlikeable either (he's actually pretty cool but scientist types don't often seem to interest me) and he definitely deserves a figure!
    4 days ago
    setokaibaswife ♡ Seto Kaiba's Wife ♡
    R_Dorothy4 days ago#97931345My stupid ass can never fall for a popular character that will have oodles of merchandise. Noooo I always gotta find some extremely obscure minor character appealing.
    Probably my first major husbando as a kid was Victor from Devil Summoner. I got a major mad scientist fetish and a thing for gray hair without the character looking too old.
    SHUT UP. HE'S HOT.
    Then there's Min and Max from Batman the Animated Series. This is the stupidest thing ever. They got ONE just ONE freaking episode, very little screen time, and yet my moronic brain went "Here's your favorites out of the entire show!". WTF? I mean seriously; what the actual fuck? I swear to god me commissioning people resulted in probably 90% of the content of them out there.
    I feel like I got rewarded for my loyalty, though, because 20 years later they showed up to do a musical number in a Batman and were voiced by Rob Paulsen. Still no figures or anything of them, though :C

Being responsible for a majority of content is really impressive dedication! You can do so much with commissions and get as creative as you want. I recently had some keychains made and I got to specify exactly how I wanted them and it was great.
    4 days ago
    setokaibaswife ♡ Seto Kaiba's Wife ♡
    lesser-robot-cat4 days ago#97931829My favorite character of all time is Reeve from FF7. You know how much merch there is for him? (Cait Sith doesn't count.) This love is a desolate wasteland.
    It's not much, but Final Fantasy TCG has some cards of him I believe.
    4 days ago
    setokaibaswife ♡ Seto Kaiba's Wife ♡
    Pahsmina4 days ago#97932276Definitely Demashita! Powerpuff Girl Z anime ENTRY #138101, but they have close to no merchandise. Just a couple of Happy Meal toys and some custom Pinky Street figures. I don't know how popular the anime was or is nowdays, but considering Japan still releases a bunch of PPG stuff now and then they should have a chance. ;_; (I just really want a Hyper Blossom....)
    One of my favorite girls from Puyo Puyo has no official figure at all ENTRY #94138 not even a charagumi kit like most of the Puyo Puyo characters. Thanks to Puyo Quest Lidelle has at least gotten a few pins and actylic stands.... (Also may we have a Lemres too?)
    But most of it all I just really want a Cooking Mama nendoroid. Are they really gonna allow my main girl Mama to have no merchandise at all? ENTRY #34127

Cooking Mama Nendoroid would be perfect, they could do so much with the expressions and poses! It is one of the most iconic DS titles in my opinion (along with Nintendogs, they were like the OG Nintendo DS titles)
    4 days ago

4 days ago
    setokaibaswife ♡ Seto Kaiba's Wife ♡
    Thanks to everybody for your comments, they were really interesting I hope you can all have a nice figure or merch made of your favs!

Unfortunately I can't reply to all but I'll pick a few out to reply to.

Also, thanks to the user who added Paz's sticker to the database.
    4 days ago