Comments Does the Expression Make or Break a Purchase?

• duke4201 month ago#97998540I'm not a fan of the winky faces on still images and figures. It always looks like they got poked in the eye right before the pic was taking.
    Although winking is cute. A wink is a motion, so only seeing the closed part of the motion isn't aesthetically pleasing.

This! I am cursed as someone who loves Maki from Love Live. It’s a relief when they release art where she has both eyes open.

I also am particular about open mouths on figures, particularly how they are sculpted and colored. I don’t have a hard and fast rule for this, it’s more of a gut reaction to it.
    22 days ago
    sugarsong1 month ago#97997562oh it technically is a limited edition part but i think she's easy to find with the bonus face :) i think two people are selling her with it currently! I'll keep an eye out, then, thanks!
    1 month ago

1 month ago
    The face is what humans are drawn to. I'd say its one of the most important parts because its naturally what we look at.

That being said the expressions on JoJo nendoroids are almost always dead-eyed and awful. No personality!
    1 month ago
    YES. I don't really like figures that have their mouth open. Of course,I do have some exceptions but tehnically,I do prefer simple smiles.
    1 month ago
    I only like it if that figure has a cute expression, but since I'm into male recently it's hard for me to find one.
    Two months ago I found this ITEM #1054553 and I felt like "omg he's so cute" but the third faceplate ruined it even though it is part of him (I guess)

And even though he's one of my favourite character, ENTRY #181891 figures always make me cringe because the whole thing is ruined and his face doesn't match with his pose and they look so weird to me.
    1 month ago
    I don't have the money to throw at figures I don't think are 10/10. If the face looks off, it would be an instant no-go for me, as I feel like this is the most important part of a figure. It's the reason why I don't own a Midoriya figure yet, I feel like they just can't get his face right. They don't 'come to life', or feel like the character if you can't nail the face.
    1 month ago
    Komaeda from Danganronpa is my favourite character in anything ever.

I only own one figure of him, because the faces look bad in the rest of them. I'm hoping the 10th anniversary figure looks better than the pictures of it, because if it isn't, I might just sell it. Faces determine 100% of my purchases unless it's fixable.
    1 month ago
    Absolutely. To me the facial expression is one of the most important parts of a figure. It's what drives me to hit the preorder, as opposed to simply passing it up.

I have a few criteria for my purchases. Each one must meet at least one or more of the following:

1) It has to be cute (subjective, and not always easy to gauge).
    2) Pink/red hair (almost always a guaranteed preorder)
    3) Twintails are a must (failing that, then it must match one of the other criteria).
    4) The expression must be striking and vibrant (by this point, I feel I have too many 'plain blank' expression figures, so they kind of bore me).

So, along comes Momioka Risa from To LOVERu. ITEM #919272 I hit the preorder button fairly quickly. Later, when I was going over my open orders, seeing which I want to keep, I questioned myself as to why I had even ordered her in the first place. Aside from the "pinkies" of the show, and perhaps Yui, I know next to nothing about her. She's not particularly 'cute,' she has no twintails, and she doesn't have pink (or red) hair. So why can't I seem to bring myself to cancel the order?

It's because, every time I look at the images of her, I come to the one of her face ( static.myfigure... ), and I just can't stop looking at it. So I decide, yet again, that I'm going to keep the order.

The same thing happened with PA-15. ITEM #999405 I had no real interest in her until I saw this image ( static.myfigure... ). I wen and ordered her from that very moment.

And a little side note: I have no real interest in the Iyapan figures, but ITEM #806272 has my attention (and my preorder) because of the optional winking face as well.

On the flip side, Milim Nava from Phat ITEM #946137 is a hard pass from me. Not even having all three of being cute, having twintails, and pink hair was able to save her from that facial expression. It totally killed my interest in getting her.

So yeah. They make for a pretty huge deal maker or breaker for me.
    1 month ago
    I mean if it's a really ugly expression then yeah it'll ruin the purchase for me XD I don't care too much about small expression changes like winking or looking to the side or something but if the face is just ugly then I probably won't get it. All in all it goes hand in hand with the pose and other aspects of the figure for me though.
    1 month ago
Anime, Figures and Manga For Less!