Comments Customs, how the documents work (or fail)

Your hassle-free Japan shopping proxy .
  • legend!
    10 days ago
    Rajke Ca Fanatic
    tharglet10 days ago#103866068One thing to note is a lot of this is EU-specific and some specific to Rajke's country. Mentioning some of the box markings makes me wonder if Rajke is German (they seem to have the pickiest customs). Can't see any other EU country giving a toss if there's a barcode on the box XD. Not every EU person has had the same experience - some countries have been bouncing parcels, others have been taxing them instead of returning them. Some countries have been checking if tax has been paid, others haven't. From what I've been hearing on Discord, it's a bit of a mess rn whilst countries and retailers sort out implementing the new rules. Some countries are short on customs staff, so it's not taking on new staff temporarily and shops not using IOSS that's the main issues. If more stores charged VAT when they're supposed to, coupled with the electronic clearance, there'd be less work for customs to do but atm there's more work than what some countries anticipated.
    Also filling in the customs documents varies by country - here you're expected to do the CN22/23 yourself, though the Post Office staff should help if you ask. HS Code isn't necessarily needed for low-value parcels (basically needed once you're over the duty threshold).
    > I want to sell something.
    The "No!" here is a dirty lie. If you're in the EU, sending within the EU you don't need a customs declaration or to attach any paperwork other than what you would for sending a parcel in your own country. If you're sending outside of the EU, then you need a declaration, though depending on country and courier, they may do some paperwork for you. Most will electronically generate it if you buy the postage online.

You are right that it has been written from the EU perspective.
    Thank you for mentioning the taxes. I actually forgot that to mention.

I made a change in the blog by the No! You are correct and like you said these are automatically created by filling in the data online. Generating the CN22 or CN23 depending on volume and value.
    I actually created the customs documents (EX-A) myself when I shipped something to the US. That was very interesting and time consuming and I won’t recommend that option.

You are incorrect about the HS code. It is possible to group the items in the package under one HS code. Even for lower valued articles. But it has to be present.

No barcode is not a reason to reject a package. However it could be a reason for Customs to check your package when it is unsure what the package contains. By a Customs control it is a point that will be checked and that goes a lot smoother and faster if there is an EAN code available.

Besides the shortage on employees and shops not using IOSS there is a third issue caused by errors on the AGS server.

German is indeed one of the most pickiest and strict countries around when it goes about customs. I know that Norway is very strict when it comes down to the correct office of exchange, correct type of customs documents and the goods values.
    10 days ago
    "-mentioning weapons, food, drugs, chemical material in the description of the article. So dear GSC, FREEING, Alter, Max Factory and other companies: Don’t mention weapons in the figures description."

Whene I order from Yahoo JP, proxies sometimes warn me, that "this item may contain restricted/unshippable items" xD (often there is some kind of chemical or weapon in the name of the figure)
    10 days ago
    StardustCrusader10 days ago#103862791Thank you for taking your time to write about this.
    This is exactly what I needed to read since one of my packages is stuck at customs. It arrived in my country on November 13 (after 4 and a half months) and haven't moved since (usually it takes minutes until it's cleared)
    The statuses it went through since in my country:
    - Arrival at inward office of exchange
    - In customs
    - Item presented to import customs
    ...and that's it.
    I hope I'm just being impatient and the package gets cleared soon, but after all this waiting I just want to get my hands on my figures already T_T

If you're just checking on Japan Post, I'd recommend also checking with your local courier to ensure there isn't anything preventing your parcel from being delivered - a retention scan will normally appear on JPost tracking, but isn't guaranteed. Might be worth asking other Romanians how long processing is taking (I know some countries have been seeing 2-4 week clearances, but haven't been remembering which ones).
    10 days ago

> I want to sell something.

10 days ago
    Thank you for taking your time to write about this.

The statuses it went through since in my country:

- Arrival at inward office of exchange
    - In customs
    - Item presented to import customs
    ...and that's it.

10 days ago
    It was really informative, I roughly knew how it works but learning about the details I understand better why it can take so long with customs sometimes. Thank you for sharing!
    10 days ago
Your hassle-free Japan shopping proxy .