MFCMFCThis is the official MyFigureCollection.net club.

Siona
Very Important Boarder

Siona

Online No
Level 51
Joined 7 years ago
Post(s) 134
Location Belgium

16 days ago
There's a bug with the new alerts page, when you switch to alerts unsolved to solved and change the page number below : 1,2,3, etc. and go back to unsolved it will stay on the page you select before (we can see that on the link in the browser), and when the unsolved alerts don't have that many pages it will show nothing.

I suppose this bug is here for a long time but I don't really use the new alert page so I didn't see it before.
But since the old page will be gone one day (I suppose) you should definitely reconsider the alerts page, you went to display 60 alerts/page to 10, you have to click and click and click to see everyting, yes we have a little text now to kinda possible know what this is about but none the less you still have to click on each one to know what it is about, and I'm not even a mod/adm so I don't manage the alerts I just checked some from time to time.

Also I think the color of the text for the solved alerts should be changed and not stay in red, kinda confusing when you switch from unsolved to solved, it seems they are still active.
And it would be nice to have also the page selection at the top of the page and not only in the bottom, this was also requested for lists to have the page selection at the bottom of them too for the moment only at the top we can select the page.

Kaneel
on Ice

Kaneel

Online No
Level 47
Joined 6 years ago
Post(s) 201
Location Germany

15 days ago
The merge function is still not working at 100%.
Right now the manufacturer and classifications are still left behind during the merge if the deleted entry had these info but the entry it get's merged to was missing these.

Siona
Very Important Boarder

Siona

Online No
Level 51
Joined 7 years ago
Post(s) 134
Location Belgium

10 days ago
The version search don't show entries for second, third, etc. terms.

For exemple :
This entry item #645508 with 3 version terms will only be displayed with the first one, destroy mode, the second, awakening, and third, real marking, won't display the entry (mfc link).
Updated 10 days ago #29299643

ffenris
Very Important Boarder

ffenris

Online No
Level 39
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 154
Location The Eroji...

10 days ago
Siona (10 days ago) #29299643The version search don't show entries for second, third, etc. terms.

For exemple :
This entry item #645508 with 3 version terms will only be displayed with the first one, destroy mode, the second, awakening, and third, real marking, won't display the entry (mfc link).

Yeah, this one's been there since early Sept -- (mfc link)

Siona
Very Important Boarder

Siona

Online No
Level 51
Joined 7 years ago
Post(s) 134
Location Belgium

10 days ago
ffenris (10 days ago) #29299726Siona (10 days ago) #29299643The version search don't show entries for second, third, etc. terms.

For exemple :

Yeah, this one's been there since early Sept -- (mfc link)

Okay, I suppose it will stay a couple month more ><.

internecinewar
Regular Boarder

internecinewar

Online No
Level 24
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 734

9 days ago
The default when you go to a page (character, event, origin) and press one of the categories (good, media, figures) is set to ENTRY (OR) in the search. This means that expanding the query using any of the other ENTRY specifications in the dropdown will give wrong or lacking results.

It should be set to ENTRY (AND).

ENTRY (AND) as a base ensures that if I make my query bigger, I get the results I need. For example, Character X ENTRY (AND) + Keyholder ENTRY (OR) + Badge ENTRY (OR) will give you all the characters Badges and Keyholders (Character X AND (OR Badges OR Keyholders)) as the logic statement.

With your current defaulting in the search, if I don't replace Character X ENTRY (OR) with Character X ENTRY (AND), all I can do is Character X ENTRY (OR) + Keyholder ENTRY (AND) (to force Character + Keyholder) and I cannot expand further without getting bad data.

I don't want to get too technical on here, but if you could do the simple change above to default to ENTRY (AND) as a base instead of ENTRY (OR), I am sure your search function won't be deemed as useless as it is currently by regular users.
Updated 9 days ago #29317984

ffenris
Very Important Boarder

ffenris

Online No
Level 39
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 154
Location The Eroji...

9 days ago
internecinewar (9 days ago) #29317984The default when you go to a page (character, event, origin) and press one of the categories (good, media, figures) is set to ENTRY (OR) in the search. This means that expanding the query using any of the other ENTRY specifications in the dropdown will give wrong or lacking results.

ENTRY (AND) as a base ensures that if I make my query bigger, I get the results I need. For example, Character X ENTRY (AND) + Keyholder ENTRY (OR) + Badge ENTRY (OR) will give you all the characters Badges and Keyholders (Character X AND (OR Badges OR Keyholders)) as the logic statement.

With your current defaulting in the search, if I don't replace Character X ENTRY (OR) with Character X ENTRY (AND), all I can do is Character X ENTRY (OR) + Keyholder ENTRY (AND) (to force Character + Keyholder) and I cannot expand further without getting bad data.

I don't want to get too technical on here, but if you could do the simple change above to default to ENTRY (AND) as a base instead of ENTRY (OR), I am sure your search function won't be deemed as useless as it is currently by regular users.

I don't think it would make too much of a difference. We get one set of OR-s, so a default of OR helps if we want to expand the starting point of our search, whereas a default of AND helps if we want to expand other portions of the search. In the above scenario, if I wanted (chara X OR chara Y) AND Badge, then the Entry OR helps and Entry AND doesn't. So optimising one use case will affect the other, there doesn't seem an obvious preference one way or another.

Since OR is a new v4 feature (we had only ANDs in v3), I'm not sure this is what is ticking people off. For me, the bigger problem affecting search currently is the inability to work in non-strict mode for entries, ie we can't put in Black Lagoon as Entry (AND) in non-strict mode and automatically get Second Barrage and Roberta's Blood Trail included -- they have to all be manually added in.

On another note, I see that JAN search for entries with multiple JANs now works from the quick search bar as well, thanks! It was a while coming, searching for Cospa T-shirts just got a lot easier :P

Also, I see that a work-around has been implemented for this one (mfc link) -- so now, exact matches are bubbled up to the top over the most popular, nice. kuma, dude, when you fix stuff, do post a note on the bug report thread, it certainly beats this Easter egg hunt!

internecinewar
Regular Boarder

internecinewar

Online No
Level 24
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 734

9 days ago
ffenris (9 days ago) #29323768internecinewar (9 days ago) #29317984The default when you go to a page (character, event, origin) and press one of the categories (good, media, figures) is set to ENTRY (OR) in the search. This means that expanding the query using any of the other ENTRY specifications in the dropdown will give wrong or lacking results.

I don't think it would make too much of a difference. We get one set of OR-s, so a default of OR helps if we want to expand the starting point of our search, whereas a default of AND helps if we want to expand other portions of the search. In the above scenario, if I wanted (chara X OR chara Y) AND Badge, then the Entry OR helps and Entry AND doesn't. So optimising one use case will affect the other, there doesn't seem an obvious preference one way or another.

Since OR is a new v4 feature (we had only ANDs in v3), I'm not sure this is what is ticking people off. For me, the bigger problem affecting search currently is the inability to work in non-strict mode for entries, ie we can't put in Black Lagoon as Entry (AND) in non-strict mode and automatically get Second Barrage and Roberta's Blood Trail included -- they have to all be manually added in.

On another note, I see that JAN search for entries with multiple JANs now works from the quick search bar as well, thanks! It was a while coming, searching for Cospa T-shirts just got a lot easier :P

Also, I see that a work-around has been implemented for this one (mfc link) -- so now, exact matches are bubbled up to the top over the most popular, nice. kuma, dude, when you fix stuff, do post a note on the bug report thread, it certainly beats this Easter egg hunt!

I was speaking about the default when navigating from the pages mentioned above. If you're already on that page (say, an origin or a character) and you click, for example, the goods tab, isn't the more common scenario the desire to further filter what you're already looking at? I know collectors (majority of the female collectors I've met) who only collect certain types of goods of certain characters. Intuitively, they'd go to the page of the character then try to narrow down the search to the type/s of items they're interested in collecting. I have not run across a scenario wherein they start on one character's page and suddenly want to add in several more characters as in your example. I don't doubt that your example happens, but it doesn't seem like a common use case at all.

What I described is also the most common scenario for me every time I check before adding goods (due to multiple adaptations in the origins, I find the most reliable way to check if something is in the DB is to check the character -> goods -> further narrow down as needed).

The search is simply not user-friendly. Perhaps I should've put the above in the suggestions thread instead in a bid to combat extremely unintuitive web design.

But anyway, I do suppose it doesn't matter in the end. Most users who can't intuitively use the website just won't bother with it anymore. I already know what to do to get it to work for me though it does involve much more tedious clicking and typing than I think should be necessary. C'est la vie.

ffenris
Very Important Boarder

ffenris

Online No
Level 39
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 154
Location The Eroji...

9 days ago
internecinewar (9 days ago) #29328596
I was speaking about the default when navigating from the pages mentioned above. If you're already on that page (say, an origin or a character) and you click, for example, the goods tab, isn't the more common scenario the desire to further filter what you're already looking at? I know collectors (majority of the female collectors I've met) who only collect certain types of goods of certain characters. Intuitively, they'd go to the page of the character then try to narrow down the search to the type/s of items they're interested in collecting. I have not run across a scenario wherein they start on one character's page and suddenly want to add in several more characters as in your example. I don't doubt that your example happens, but it doesn't seem like a common use case at all.

What I described is also the most common scenario for me every time I check before adding goods (due to multiple adaptations in the origins, I find the most reliable way to check if something is in the DB is to check the character -> goods -> further narrow down as needed).

I guess my point is that the common scenario for some users is not necessarily the common one for all? I don't focus on one character per se, and I'm not alone in that. I'm a somewhat-OCD completionist, and typically end up adding sets/batches of entries (for eg, as and when Cospa puts out a bunch of full graphic T-shirts, I add 'em all), so for me, keeping the type of item (Full Graphic T-shirt, say) constant and expanding the characters, is quite common.

Being able to change the default via our user preferences would solve this quite nicely.

R_Kasahara
( =₃=)*
Very Important Boarder

R_Kasahara

Online No
Level 26
Joined 9 years ago
Post(s) 1824
Location Bay Area,...

9 days ago
Notification emails (at least for new PMs) arrive roughly 12 hours late for me.

internecinewar
Regular Boarder

internecinewar

Online No
Level 24
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 734

9 days ago
ffenris (9 days ago) #29330319I guess my point is that the common scenario for some users is not necessarily the common one for all? I don't focus on one character per se, and I'm not alone in that. I'm a somewhat-OCD completionist, and typically end up adding sets/batches of entries (for eg, as and when Cospa puts out a bunch of full graphic T-shirts, I add 'em all), so for me, keeping the type of item (Full Graphic T-shirt, say) constant and expanding the characters, is quite common.

Being able to change the default via our user preferences would solve this quite nicely.

I don't think we are understanding each other. I am speaking in terms of UX best practices which aims to be as intuitive for a regular user as possible. A search typically uses filters which narrows down what the user is seeing right now on the page. You may check other websites with a search function and you will notice that they provide filters after you enter in your generic search term.

Generics down to specifics, so to speak. You are advocating for Specific + Specific before tacking on Generic at the very end to get accurate results. That's simply not a use case searches typically prioritize.

This is why, if you are navigating from a page listing all a character's goods ((mfc link) and then click "Goods"), intuitive design is to let people filter what they are seeing right now, not keep adding to it. You're on that character's goods page because you want everything of that character. From there, you are supposed to be able to filter properly without having to remove the default ENTRY (OR) and replace it with ENTRY (AND) manually.

In your scenario, I invite you to start on Full Graphic T-Shirt ((mfc link) and then click "Goods") since that is the common -- or the most generic trait -- that all your searches will share. Now try adding in "COSPA" and multiple characters without changing the default Full Graphic T-Shirt ENTRY (OR). Notice that no matter what you do, the more characters you add, the more your results come out wrong.

Yes, you could've started on listing all the characters you want instead and just add Full Graphic T-Shirt on at the very end, but as I have mentioned, that is not how people typically use search functions anywhere (even AmiAmi doesn't work that way -- if you are on a Character Page, check the "category" filters you can add in the side bar. On Amazon, try navigating from an Author page and see the options it gives to filter your results). Even in v3 of MFC as you've mentioned, our default was AND (because there was no OR). Why then are we defaulting to OR now? Just to add an additional learning curve for end-users?

I apologize if I seem very insistent on this. I work as a software architect and for a long time now the industry keeps trying to make things "idiot-proof"/easy to use/intuitive for end-users. It is very jarring to come onto MFC and see it doing the exact opposite to its own detriment. Majority of the complaints of V4 I've seen are UX related. It clearly doesn't work the way regular users expect it to work. Yes, you can learn it or even prefer it this way, but it's not supposed to be about you -- or me -- it's supposed to be about following the general standard / best practice the rest of the computing world uses. That way the website isn't so hard to use / learn for end-users.

At any rate, further discussion seems pointless as neither of us have the power to implement any of the changes discussed. I'll be dropping the matter promptly. Thanks for discussing this with me (honestly didn't expect anyone to reply)! :)

ugendo
( ´-ω・)︻┻┳══━一
Regular Boarder

ugendo

Online No
Level 16
Joined 3 years ago
Post(s) 288
Location MI, USA

8 days ago
Quantities of items ordered/owned are still not showing up. Mentioned this a month ago.

agentmozell
nerd extraordinaire
Regular Boarder

agentmozell

Online No
Level 16
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 262
Location TX

8 days ago
On the new notifications page I'm only seeing three of the six alerts I have. I can see them all on the old page.

And I don't know if this is a bug or a feature since I only see the new page on my computer, but the descriptions don't show on the ads unless you click on them. Before there would be a small bit of it and now there's nothing.
my shop: (mfc link)

Pre-Orders I'm Giving Up: (mfc link)

group order(s): N/A

Siona
Very Important Boarder

Siona

Online No
Level 51
Joined 7 years ago
Post(s) 134
Location Belgium

8 days ago
agentmozell (8 days ago) #29380037On the new notifications page I'm only seeing three of the six alerts I have. I can see them all on the old page.

And I don't know if this is a bug or a feature since I only see the new page on my computer, but the descriptions don't show on the ads unless you click on them. Before there would be a small bit of it and now there's nothing.

Certainly because the notifications are past 30 days, in the old version you could see the notifications older than 30 days in the second page, there's subscriptions and others, the others page could keep ads and quotes past 30 days, now these notifications aren't visible in the new version but are still counted.

Siona
Very Important Boarder

Siona

Online No
Level 51
Joined 7 years ago
Post(s) 134
Location Belgium

8 days ago
There's an issue with the entry field for the link/unlink related entries for the encyclopedia entries, with the strict check option when we start to write some terms and the text start to be under the strict option we can't see the text anymore and if the length isn't enough we can't navigate in the text we type.
The strict option overlaps the entry field and obstruct the view.

agentmozell
nerd extraordinaire
Regular Boarder

agentmozell

Online No
Level 16
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 262
Location TX

8 days ago
Siona (8 days ago) #29390479agentmozell (8 days ago) #29380037On the new notifications page I'm only seeing three of the six alerts I have. I can see them all on the old page.

Certainly because the notifications are past 30 days, in the old version you could see the notifications older than 30 days in the second page, there's subscriptions and others, the others page could keep ads and quotes past 30 days, now these notifications aren't visible in the new version but are still counted.

That's really....dumb? We should be able to see all alerts. ;;
my shop: (mfc link)

Pre-Orders I'm Giving Up: (mfc link)

group order(s): N/A

ffenris
Very Important Boarder

ffenris

Online No
Level 39
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 154
Location The Eroji...

7 days ago
internecinewar (9 days ago) #29371707Generics down to specifics, so to speak. You are advocating for Specific + Specific before tacking on Generic at the very end to get accurate results. That's simply not a use case searches typically prioritize.

<snip>

Yes, you could've started on listing all the characters you want instead and just add Full Graphic T-Shirt on at the very end, but as I have mentioned, that is not how people typically use search functions anywhere (even AmiAmi doesn't work that way -- if you are on a Character Page, check the "category" filters you can add in the side bar. On Amazon, try navigating from an Author page and see the options it gives to filter your results). Even in v3 of MFC as you've mentioned, our default was AND (because there was no OR). Why then are we defaulting to OR now? Just to add an additional learning curve for end-users?

Good points made. I get what you are saying now. Since I know the system, I game it to get the results I want, but that, as you point out, is not the intuitive way. Agree that Entry (AND) makes for a better default.

AshuriiKareshi
Mrs Shigaraki
Regular Boarder

AshuriiKareshi

Online No
Level 13
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1006
Location Sheffield...

6 days ago
On the notification page you can't see what the notification is.

It'll tell you there's something (like a picture or new item) but doesn't show you what. When you click it it takes you to the page you're subscribed to and not the new entry. So for pictures it takes you too the entry page and you have to find the pictures your self.

It's the same for comments, it doesn't tell you what the comment is anymore and takes you to the page where the comment is but you still have to find it yourself. This is hell of a lot more hassle.

I don't know if it's like this for everyone or if my browser is out of date or what. But it's super annoying and useless (to get a notification but you have to find the thing yourself) that I'll probably just unsubscribe from everything.

ffenris
Very Important Boarder

ffenris

Online No
Level 39
Joined 5 years ago
Post(s) 154
Location The Eroji...

6 days ago
AshuriiKareshi (6 days ago) #29453580On the notification page you can't see what the notification is.

It'll tell you there's something (like a picture or new item) but doesn't show you what. When you click it it takes you to the page you're subscribed to and not the new entry. So for pictures it takes you too the entry page and you have to find the pictures your self.

It's the same for comments, it doesn't tell you what the comment is anymore and takes you to the page where the comment is but you still have to find it yourself. This is hell of a lot more hassle.

I don't know if it's like this for everyone or if my browser is out of date or what. But it's super annoying and useless (to get a notification but you have to find the thing yourself) that I'll probably just unsubscribe from everything.

Sounds like the preview got turned off accidentally? Just below the "Notification" header, there is a slider marked "Preview". Check and make sure it is in the green "on" state.

AshuriiKareshi
Mrs Shigaraki
Regular Boarder

AshuriiKareshi

Online No
Level 13
Joined 2 years ago
Post(s) 1006
Location Sheffield...

6 days ago
ffenris (6 days ago) #29453852
Sounds like the preview got turned off accidentally? Just below the "Notification" header, there is a slider marked "Preview". Check and make sure it is in the green "on" state.

I've changed it thank you ^^

Edit - I've just worked you have to click on 'new replies' right at the beginning and not anything on it because it just takes you to the page or item and not what's new
Updated 6 days ago #29454191

« Prev   1 2 3 4 5 6   Next »

Top ↑

Join the club to join the discussion.