156 replies

• 156 replies
  • solluxcaptorRegular Boarder
    solluxcaptor
    • No
    • 3 years ago
    • England
    6 months ago • Updated 6 months ago
    I've been posting about this in "suggestions" for a while but I think it's been going unseen and the problem is just getting worse, so I'm going to make a civil thread about it.

My original post from Suggestions:
    solluxcaptor (8 months ago) #32878452I've noticed a real increase lately of people using the downvote or 'uninteresting' functions to be malicious and meanspirited for no reason. I think it would be beneficial to everyone if it were left with upvotes/'interesting' options only as a way of marking up popular comments/articles and not to be negative. I believe that with this change, people would feel more likely to speak their mind and post what they want to openly.
    I really love how comments on listings have the upvote only option and I think this would be really beneficial to see on articles too. There are enough arguments at times without giving people more ammo to just be nasty or passive aggressive.
    I know that people will always speak their minds, good or bad, but with these little things I think it is important to cultivate a positive atmosphere where possible.

Bringing this back up because I only see the problem getting worse and nobody is addressing it. It's making me fed up of posting stuff and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who doesn't want to see negativity encouraged on this site.

Some posters who share my viewpoint/experience:

Takasugi (8 months ago) #32517225Can the "everyone can downvote comments on blogs" feature be removed or something? I'm kinda tired of seeing normal, inoffensive comments with negative numbers..it's being abused.
    ffenris (7 months ago) #33691233Couple of suggestions:
    1. As noted by various folks above, the downvote "feature" isn't really helpful. I've seen some really childish downvoting recently, we're better off without it.

I think that upvoting and "interesting" is a valuable feature as it allows popular comments/articles/etc to reach the top and be seen, but downvoting and "uninteresting" has been seeing a lot of abuse from trolls recently and it has no productive or positive use.

I don't need this place to become a positivity only zone, but I believe it would be far better if people people could only voice a problem with a comment if they have one instead of hiding cowardly behind "uninteresting" and downvotes which are easily abused. They are seriously going to discourage some people out of making comments or working hard on articles to post.
  • agentmozellnerd extraordinaireRegular Boarder
    agentmozell
    • No
    • 3 years ago
    • TX
    6 months ago
    At least with the "interested/uninteresting" for blogs you can turn it off, I always do because I truly don't care to know and because it can be abused by people who want to stay anonymous. And if they truly find it uninteresting, they can comment to share their thoughts and we can have a discussion that way. Like reveal yourself and tell me what your thoughts are.

As for the down vote, I did notice it was removed on figure pages, which is nice. And I agree they need to be removed with blogs. Because if a comment is truly nasty or whatnot it can be reported to the admins or deleted by the blog writer. Its a system that's easily abused by people who don't want to reveal themselves, and in the end this is the internet where people will be trolls if given the chance, even too comments that are helpful.

In short, I agree that it needs to be removed.
    my shop: profile/agentmo...

Pre-Orders I'm Giving Up: LIST #78551

group order(s): N/A
    solluxcaptor
    • No
    • 3 years ago
    • England
    6 months ago
    agentmozell (6 months ago) #34717216At least with the "interested/uninteresting" for blogs you can turn it off, I always do because I truly don't care to know and because it can be abused by people who want to stay anonymous. And if they truly find it uninteresting, they can comment to share their thoughts and we can have a discussion that way. Like reveal yourself and tell me what your thoughts are.
    As for the down vote, I did notice it was removed on figure pages, which is nice. And I agree they need to be removed with blogs. Because if a comment is truly nasty or whatnot it can be reported to the admins or deleted by the blog writer. Its a system that's easily abused by people who don't want to reveal themselves, and in the end this is the internet where people will be trolls if given the chance, even too comments that are helpful.
    In short, I agree that it needs to be removed.

I usually turn it off on blogs too because I don't want to encourage trolls or give them any chances, but that in itself is a problem. If people are discouraged from using a legitimate feature because of trolls, that's an issue.

I agree with you. Reporting exists for extreme cases and if you disagree with someone enough to want to do something about it, write a comment and start some actual discussion.
  • victorviperRegular Boarder
    victorviper
    • No
    • 7 years ago
    • USA
    6 months ago
    About two years ago, there seemed to be a uptick in the number of habitual/malicious downvoters, but I was thinking that wave has sort of subsided lately.

However, I would tend to agree with you nonetheless about getting rid of the downvote system for blogs, as it doesn't really serve any constructive purpose. Pretty much the only blogs I've ever downvoted are these one-line "OMG I just cancelled 40 orders with AmiAmi, they wont' ban me will they" posts that bump more interesting content off the front page, but even a torrent of downvotes doesn't seem to discourage people there.

Further, blogs are pretty scarce these days, and it seems kind of risky for a site that relies on user-generated content to have a system that might discourage community participation.
    solluxcaptor
    • No
    • 3 years ago
    • England
    6 months ago
    victorviper (6 months ago) #34720381About two years ago, there seemed to be a uptick in the number of habitual/malicious downvoters, but I was thinking that wave has sort of subsided lately.
    However, I would tend to agree with you nonetheless about getting rid of the downvote system for blogs, as it doesn't really serve any constructive purpose. Pretty much the only blogs I've ever downvoted are these one-line "OMG I just cancelled 40 orders with AmiAmi, they wont' ban me will they" posts that bump more interesting content off the front page, but even a torrent of downvotes doesn't seem to discourage people there.
    Further, blogs are pretty scarce these days, and it seems kind of risky for a site that relies on user-generated content to have a system that might discourage community participation.

For blogs that go against the rules like the one you gave as an example, a report would suffice, like you said it's not like downvotes serve to discourage breaking the rules. They do however discourage people who made genuine posts that got abused.

I agree with you especially on the last line, so I've bolded it. Very well said.
  • StacycmcRegular Boarder
    Stacycmc
    • No
    • 1 year ago
    • USA
    6 months ago
    solluxcaptor (6 months ago) #34715584 *snip*

I agree the downvote should be removed from blogs. I don't think you should have to turn off the upvote though, that tells what folks truly find interesting right, but unlike that, the downvote most times is just someone being an ass it seems....

LOL...I mean I just responded to a downvote on one of my own blogs the other day:

Stacycmc (7 months ago) #34429237To the person who came into a blog titled "Dye Stains on RAH Dolls", which is categorized as an "ASK MFC" entry, and voted this as "uninteresting"...
    MUAHAHAAAA....your hopes of titty shots has been foiled....totally tricked you sucka!!!!!!
    :D
    Seriously though...
    https://media.tenor.com/images/4b39a421d75d05ee8d16267084669f0e/tenor.gif

I mean....I truly don't get why there's an "uninteresting" vote option.....it's like it was put there for the sole purpose of giving ass-holes fuel.

Again....the blogs that break the rules are different, and not saying 100% of the time the "uninteresting" check is abused, but honestly...most of the time it's entirely unnecessary.

OFF WITH IT'S HEAD!!! Let's get rid of that rude-ass button!!! If someone's blog is not interesting then isn't getting zero votes of "interesting" enough?? LOL....geesh, now we have to rub it in their face....so rude.
    solluxcaptor
    • No
    • 3 years ago
    • England
    6 months ago
    Stacycmc (6 months ago) #34722197 If someone's blog is not interesting then isn't getting zero votes of "interesting" enough?? LOL....geesh, now we have to rub it in their face....so rude.

I agree with you, especially this end quote! Having a low amount of "interesting" votes is enough, no need to make it malicious.
  • LilieRegular Boarder
    Lilie
    • No
    • 2 years ago
    • Belgium
    agentmozell (6 months ago) #34717216
    As for the down vote, I did notice it was removed on figure pages, which is nice.
    I could be wrong but i think VIB's still have the ability to downvote in figure pages and photo pages >:(. The downvote needs to be removed from blogs and ALSO REMOVE the special downvote privilege VIB's have, it's stupid and VIB's abuse it on normal comments often.
  • agentmozellnerd extraordinaireRegular Boarder
    agentmozell
    • No
    • 3 years ago
    • TX
    6 months ago
    Lilie (6 months ago) #34842211I could be wrong but i think VIB's still have the ability to downvote in figure pages and photo pages >:(. The downvote needs to be removed from blogs and ALSO REMOVE the special downvote privilege VIB's have, it's stupid and VIB's abuse it on normal comments often.

Not sure if "supporter" is different from "vib" but I don't have it.
    my shop: profile/agentmo...

Pre-Orders I'm Giving Up: LIST #78551

group order(s): N/A
  • neyVery Important Boarder
    ney
    • No
    • 9 years ago
    6 months ago
    Lilie (6 months ago) #34842211I could be wrong but i think VIB's still have the ability to downvote in figure pages and photo pages >:(. The downvote needs to be removed from blogs and ALSO REMOVE the special downvote privilege VIB's have, it's stupid and VIB's abuse it on normal comments often.
    We are actually 145 VIB users.v4.php?cu... .Do you really think, considering our number, we abuse of the system of downvoting ? Even if i wasn't a VIB, if i don't like the content of an article or a comment, i don't hesite to downvote it.
    ney
    • No
    • 9 years ago
    6 months ago
    So maybe you prefer a sterilized environment where only "Thumb up" prevails ? MFC isn't a social media but a community, it's a totally different approach of sharing interests. I agree that downvoting can be hurt your pride and maybe refrain some people to write something but honestly, you really want a place where your opinion is only welcomed if you agree with the others ?
    If i take 3 blogs from past days :
    Well-constructed loot post : BLOG #40175 ↑11 ↓0
    Custom figure post : BLOG #40171 ↑43 ↓0
    Opinion about hentai in UK : BLOG #40163 ↑6 ↓21

Well, the community isn't as toxic like you seems to perceive. Everyone's opinion are important and can help to progress to both sides. Maybe some of you have some haters but it's the same as daily life, you cannot please to everyone.
    So for me, Downvoting should stay like that.
  • LilieRegular Boarder
    Lilie
    • No
    • 2 years ago
    • Belgium
    6 months ago
    ney (6 months ago) #34842851We are actually 145 VIB users.v4.php?cu... .Do you really think, considering our number, we abuse of the system of downvoting ? Even if i wasn't a VIB, if i don't like the content of an article or a comment, i don't hesite to downvote it.145 is a lot more than i thought. Definitely the special downvote option needs to be removed from VIB's. I've seen a VIB abuse it just recently on the new BRS figure scale that was announced at WonFes. In the item page there was some VIB who went a downvoted every single of my comments there, even though all my comments were just normal comments.

The VIB status should not be a power tool that allows you to downvote others opinions anonymously on figure and photo pages, while normal users here don't have that kind of option. It's unfair, it can be abused like i've seen and it serves no purpose.
    ney
    • No
    • 9 years ago
    6 months ago
    Lilie (6 months ago) #34843216145 is a lot more than i thought. Definitely the special downvote option needs to be removed from VIB's. I've seen a VIB abuse it just recently on the new BRS figure scale that was announced at WonFes. In the item page there was some VIB who went a downvoted every single of my comments there, even though all my comments were just normal comments.
    The VIB status should not be a power tool that allows you to downvote others opinions anonymously on figure and photo pages, while normal users here don't have that kind of option. It's unfair, it can be abused like i've seen and it serves no purpose.

Be allowed to set a comment as uninteresting instead of moderate/delete it can be helpful too you know (but it's only my PoV). It was restricted to normal users to avoid some flaming or war on hot topics, remember we don't have any moderation tools (and it's better like that) as VIB, so i think kumasanmk just forgot to remove this function from VIB rank i guess.
    I put a "thumb up" on all comments on the BRS page
  • LilieRegular Boarder
    Lilie
    • No
    • 2 years ago
    • Belgium
    6 months ago
    ney (6 months ago) #34843179So maybe you prefer a sterilized environment where only "Thumb up" prevails ? MFC isn't a social media but a community, it's a totally different approach of sharing interests.'A Sterilized Enviroment' That is exactly what the downvoting option will do to your community. Downvote kills discussion and differing opinions. I've seen it here and i've seen it on Reddit. Reddit has become a giant circlejerk bubble environment. I don't want that kind of community here. If you want to try an experiment go to r/animefigures and create a thread criticising the amount of Saber figures that are made each year :-D.

In v3 we used to have a these back and forth discussions with different opinions presented, but with the downvote added in v4, people don't bother anymore as much.

neyI agree that downvoting can be hurt your pride and maybe refrain some people to write something but honestly, you really want a place where your opinion is only welcomed if you agree with the others ?I don't understand your logic. You admit that the downvote option can create situations where someone refrains from writing their opinion, but then you say "you really want a place where your opinion is only welcomed if you agree with the others?". That's the kind of place the downvote option creates in my opinion.

The downvote is a tool that can create a circlejerk behaviour where only certain accepted opinions are welcomed. When your comment gets -11 it's gone from being visible aswell. It really discourages discussion :-/.

This site was much better before the downvoting was added to blogs.

Also thank you for taking part in this discussion and this was not an attack on you or anything, just my thoughts on the downvote thing. I've seen what it's done in places like Reddit.
  • LilieRegular Boarder
    Lilie
    • No
    • 2 years ago
    • Belgium
    6 months ago
    solluxcaptor (6 months ago) #34715584but downvoting and "uninteresting" has been seeing a lot of abuse from trolls recently and it has no productive or positive use.I agree with you Sollu and i've seen it getting worse lately. For some reason your comments have been getting a lot of downvotes aswell? But maybe those people are not trolling, maybe they are trying to show to the Admins that the downvoting can be abused and therefore maybe it would get removed? i'm not sure ;-/.
    solluxcaptor
    • No
    • 3 years ago
    • England
    Lilie (6 months ago) #34844653I agree with you Sollu and i've seen it getting worse lately. For some reason your comments have been getting a lot of downvotes aswell? But maybe those people are not trolling, maybe they are trying to show to the Admins that the downvoting can be abused and therefore maybe it would get removed? i'm not sure ;-/.
    One of the reasons I brought it up is that I KNOW it's happening from personal experience. It's been happening far longer than anyone has been speaking up about it and I genuinely think a lot of it is just trolling/vendetta based.

I don't really understand why I seem to be targetted (although nobody should be targetted by the abuse of a feature) considering I try to be a positive, friendly person on this site but that just proves how much it is being abused. I don't have to say anything rude, disagreeable or controversial at all to get downvoted.
  • KuromiiHaikyuu nerdlordRegular Boarder
    Kuromii
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • England, UK
    6 months ago
    I despise the up/downvoting function and the same applies to any site that uses it. It encourages echo-chambering and people pandering to the perceived social correct way to act. I mean just regarding opinions that differ, not trolls or abusers. For example I once made a general assumption that men put more money into idol anime than women or something along those lines, which is statistically true, and I got downvoted to hell! And it was coming from a female idol-lover!
    solluxcaptor
    • No
    • 3 years ago
    • England
    6 months ago
    ney (6 months ago) #34843179So maybe you prefer a sterilized environment where only "Thumb up" prevails ? MFC isn't a social media but a community, it's a totally different approach of sharing interests. I agree that downvoting can be hurt your pride and maybe refrain some people to write something but honestly, you really want a place where your opinion is only welcomed if you agree with the others ?
    If i take 3 blogs from past days :
    Well-constructed loot post : BLOG #40175 ↑11 ↓0
    Custom figure post : BLOG #40171 ↑43 ↓0
    Opinion about hentai in UK : BLOG #40163 ↑6 ↓21
    Well, the community isn't as toxic like you seems to perceive. Everyone's opinion are important and can help to progress to both sides. Maybe some of you have some haters but it's the same as daily life, you cannot please to everyone.
    So for me, Downvoting should stay like that.

I said in my original post that I don't believe this should be a positive only zone or that people aren't allowed to disagree, but I believe those options should be used to highlight particularly good/useful/funny posts and that COMMENTS should be used to express if you disagree with something and provoke actual discussion. Something more productive.

The feature is being abused and that's why I am not the only person who wants it gone. I'm not asking for censorship, I'm asking for an unproductive feature which is being abused to be reconsidered.
  • AshuriiKareshiDerpyRegular Boarder
    AshuriiKareshi
    • No
    • 3 years ago
    • Sheffield, England
    6 months ago
    I think the interesting and uninteresting is fine just because you can remove it.

For the votes on comments I'm iffy on it. If you have 1 person constantly downvoting your comments then your comments will be 0 which isn't really that bad. The only problem is when people kind of gang up on someone so one person gets like -10 votes just because people have turned against them. You don't see this very often though. Usually only when there is a one sided arguement because then people follow the argument and downvote everyone who thinks differently to them. But when that happens all traces of the argument normally get deleted from this site.
  • StacycmcRegular Boarder
    Stacycmc
    • No
    • 1 year ago
    • USA
    6 months ago
    LOL...my most recent blog is a good example on the comment down-vote spree (and the "uninteresting" blog option as well - I think every comment I made (other than the most recent ones) are showing as "negative"), LOL!! Or perhaps I'm just an asshole and haven't realized it yet (which I guess is also entirely possible). LOL....I just know I'm really loved in that blog...LOL!!! Oh well, good times.... :D

The down-voting of comments you disagree with or when you think someone is wrong, I can understand that and think it's people's right to disagree and express that. I can even see value in it ...the problem though is I also agree that with that down-vote system you will have some folks that decide they disagree with user A's second comment or their view on a topic, so they just start auto-down-voting any comments from that user without even reading them sometimes, or they just don't care what they say after that..that user's comments are dead to them! LOL....and that's not helpful at all, lol.

I think the "uninteresting" option on articles in general should be removed though....if someone doesn't find a topic interesting why are they going into it? Most of the time the title tells you what it's about ...they going in JUST to hate on it?? LOL! If they don't find it interesting, don't vote "interesting" for it...easy. If someone disagrees with the topic, well that's not really what the "uninteresting" button is for.....you should just add a comment that says "hey I disagree and here's why" not necessarily mark it as uninteresting....I mean it was obviously interesting enough for you to go in, read it all, then take the time to comment on it...LOL.

Anyway, I don't know about the comments voting option...there's pluses and minuses, as I acknowledge it definitely has benefits, but that folks will abuse it sometimes. I'm good leaving it as, but I'd be fine with just keeping the scores at zero too to try to stem off the haters (and if a comment is inappropriate or offensive a mod or someone should remove it ....that shouldn't necessarily be handled via a voting system). Anyway, either way on the comments works for me, I don't know a perfect solution for that.

I think the blog "uninteresting" option however makes people not want to share their experiences or info, etc... because you have folks that will go in, knowing what they are going into, just to hate... it's just unnecessary.
  • 156 replies
  • Join the club to join the discussion.