HomeForumsThread #16439

MFCWhat was the first bootleg you ever received?

15 replies

• 15 replies
  • ProbablyANinjaRegular Boarder
    ProbablyANinja
    • No
    • 4 months ago
    1 month ago
    We've all been there (or at least most of us, I'm sure). You're new to figure collecting and you see a sweet deal on ebay. Little do you know, when your item finally arrives, it looks as though a toddler was hired to paint it. The universe now seems a cold, dark place full of con artists and cheap Chinese knockoffs.

What was your first experience with bootleg figures? Did you know it was fake right away?

Mine was when I was a kid, actually. Probably around 2002 or so. I saw some Pokemon figures on ebay that I really wanted and asked my mom if she could order them for me with my allowance money. The seller was the infamous "Seasonjoy," who's apparently been in the bootleg business for years. Not sure if they ever got shut down though.

Anyway, when they arrived, they smelled horrible. The paint also started flaking off really soon after. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed.

I made the same mistake a couple years later with more Pokemon figures, but after that I wised up. I don't think I've had the misfortune of purchasing a bootleg since, thankfully, and I hope to keep it that way.

So how about you guys? What are some of your stories dealing with fake products?
  • talentshredderxRegular Boarder
    talentshredderx
    • No
    • 1 month ago
    1 month ago
    Just really got into collecting figures in February, the max factory figma of matoi ryuko was so cheap on eBay that I had to go for it. Didn't realize until later about bootlegs D: and when I got an authentic max factory satuski figma (which was about 3 weeks ago) it totally confirmed my "too good to be true" suspicions. Still looking for bargains, but I'm 1000% not pulling the trigger on anything unless I'm sure it's legit. Lesson learned.
  • OoReverseoORegular Boarder
    OoReverseoO
    • No
    • 1 month ago
    • Victoria, Melbourne
    1 month ago • Updated 1 month ago
    When I was first started to get money from my job and started to get into collecting figures, i went into this shop that displays itself with their anime figures and merchandises and I was just strolling around not knowing anything about figures and long and behold I notice a Kuroyukihime Nendoroid and the price was $69.95 AUS dollars. "hmmmm i might wait a bit and save up".

In the next week or two I came back to purchase it and I notice one of their signs that states "Please be mindful we do not except return items unless the item is faulty so please choose carefully before you purchase".
    "Oh Ok, that will never happen." :3 (That was a mistake)

So I brought it home, took it out of its box and admire the figure. Now time to assemble it.......... took me almost half an hour just to get her to hold the umbrella.... then moments later it falls again..... fuck it, get her to hold the pig and that was easy to connect.

Now here's the funny bit, now i started looking through Youtube to see if anyone else has any issues with the umbrella that she was meant to be holding and that's when I notice something. The box had a important sticker on the box. I looked at mine and notice no sticker......... "it might have just fallen off haha"..... Now i started to look thoroughly at my box and the quality of the coloration was poor, it was not clear compare to some of the other boxes I've seen from my friends.

Lesson learnt, never buy a figure from a shady looking store. XD
    However even if it was a bootleg, the figure actually looks decent even though the face plate looks glossy, regardless i'm never returning to that store again, hope you fall. This was 4 years ago.
  • EhentalixRegular Boarder
    Ehentalix
    • No
    • 1 month ago
    1 month ago
    My story is a lot less thrilling. My dear old grandmother bought me a super fat "Pimkachau" (I shit thee not) figure in a blister pack for a dollar in Chinatown. Wish I still had the ugly old thing.
    ProbablyANinja
    • No
    • 4 months ago
    29 days ago
    Ehentalix (1 month ago) #60148669My story is a lot less thrilling. My dear old grandmother bought me a super fat "Pimkachau" (I shit thee not) figure in a blister pack for a dollar in Chinatown. Wish I still had the ugly old thing.

Well if it's any consolation, the Metagross bootleg that I had was made with three legs instead of 4 and had no color in his eyes. On the bottom it said "TONY TOYS" instead of "Tomy," which I think is the Western branch of Takara. All of them had weird things like that--a face only their blind mother could love. XD
  • Nanofigures8Regular Boarder
    Nanofigures8
    • No
    • 1 year ago
    14 days ago
    A few years ago I bought my first bootleg figure, It was a Haruhi Suzumiya figma. The peg for the stand didn't fit well into the back, the faces looked alittle funny, and it had a horrible smell to it, after doing some research, I had discovered that I indeed had a bootleg on my hands. I received it from Amazon, so luckily I was able to return it.
  • LydiaRegular Boarder
    Lydia
    • No
    • 15 days ago
    11 days ago
    ProbablyANinja
    • No
    • 4 months ago
    11 days ago
    Nanofigures8 (14 days ago) #61467481A few years ago I bought my first bootleg figure, It was a Haruhi Suzumiya figma. The peg for the stand didn't fit well into the back, the faces looked alittle funny, and it had a horrible smell to it, after doing some research, I had discovered that I indeed had a bootleg on my hands. I received it from Amazon, so luckily I was able to return it.

Ah, yeah. I once saw a blatant bootleg of ITEM #200660 on Amazon. They didn't bother to use pictures of the real one and instead opted for their own. There was no claim in the description that it was a bootleg though. The face looked hilarious. I wish I had downloaded a picture of it.
  • carphaRegular Boarder
    carpha
    • No
    • 4 years ago
    • United States
    11 days ago
    First figure bootleg I ever got was a tiny trading figure charm for Kise from KnB. He just... looked a lil lumpy but looked decent from far away.

But for bootlegs in general? It took me over 9 fake cartridges before I got a legitimate version of Pokemon FireRed off of eBay. Luckily, I got refunded every single time since I only bought from listings that claimed to be legitimate, but it was over half a year of constantly paying for listings, waiting for them to arrive, and then disputing when they turned out to be bootlegs.

Because of those though, when I actually got into figure collecting proper, I was super careful to only order directly from licensed vendors until I got better at telling from listings what was real or not.
  • hellyeahkanokidoRegular Boarder
    hellyeahkanokido
    • No
    • 2 months ago
    • UK
    11 days ago
    I've had a fair few bootleg experiences so here's the main ones from oldest to most recent

Angelic Angel Maki: Didn't realise she was a bootleg because she was my second figure

Angelic Angel Eli: Got her for £3 from eBay. I knew she was a bootleg because the seller told me. Confirmed my suspicions about the Maki figure though. 3rd figure as well

Halloween/Autumn Hatsune Miku: Came with her leg broke off and the box was completely ruined (it was "new") because she was shipped in nothing more than one of those grey bags all the way from Taiwan. I have the legit version and got to keep the bootleg and got a full refund so at least I can do a comparison!

Tony ver Megurine Luka: Seller didn't know but he was kind enough to let me keep her and give me a full refund as well ^^

Len Kagamine Cheerful ver Nendoroid: Seller didn't know and said that they'd give me a 75% refund and I'd have to pay first class postage so they could have it back... When I said that they had to do a full refund and pay postage if they wanted it back they said that they couldn't because it was her disabled teenager daughters money it'd be coming out of... I am a disabled teenage girl as well- The woman also had a strop and threw personal insults at me when I , very politely , said about the refund.

Hatsune Miku Figma: Seller was very understanding any sorted it out immediately.

Almost had another bootleg case because I had bid on a Miku Nendoroid from the same seller before the Figma arrived and an hour before the auction ended she changed the listing from "OFFICIAL" to , at the very bottom of the description "China version"

I've also had a lot of bootleg plushies and keychains

So , I've not had the best experience to say the least
  • SeravyRegular Boarder
    Seravy
    • No
    • 9 years ago
    • Hungary
    11 days ago • Updated 11 days ago
    ITEM #42 and ITEM #2600 , from before I found MFC. Back then the only source of figures I knew about was ebay and I was happy any figures of the characters existed. I realized they are bootlegs years later. They weren't bad enough to be immediately obvious, Illya's coat was extra difficult to put on/remove and Shinku started leaning a little after a while but I didn't have enough figure collecting experience and assumed that's normal. Now, over 10 years later, that Shinku is still good enough to display so it wasn't such a bad deal. (Me no longer liking the series is a different story but that has nothing to do with the figure quality.) I have much better Illya figures now so that one is kinda useless for me but it was a small, cheap figure so whatever.
    After those two I didn't buy any bootlegs by accident, although some of the extra-cheap trading figure sets were bootlegs I was fine with that - five figures for below $5 total and trading figures are small and low quality anyway. They weren't anything important, more like "filler" because back then there weren't as many good figures I wanted as nowadays.
    Recently however I started experimenting with buying bootlegs intentionally. Seeing the trend of figure prices I realized there is a good chance something I really want but cannot afford might be released in the future and didn't want to go into that sort of situation unprepared. I bought 7 figures for this experiment, all stuff I kinda wanted but wasn't willing to pay much for. ITEM #155014 ITEM #615800 and ITEM #228208 are nice, they look as good as real figures and I'm really happy with them. Ofc they aren't flawless but the issues are really visible or noticeable unless you specifically look for them. ITEM #198392 is horrible, hair is orange instead of blonde and half-painted, half transparent. However I got most of my money back from the seller so I basically only lost $3 and got to even keep the figure. www.ebay.com/it... I don't think exists in a non-bootleg form. It's dirt cheap and actually looks great even in real life, the catch is she is made from soft PVC so she has a hard time standing straight on those very thin legs. Sailor Mercury will arrive in a few days so I don't know how that'll turn out but after Venus I'm somewhat worried. Konjiki no Yami never arrived, the seller turned out to be a scammer who didn't send for about two dozens of buyers. The paypal dispute is in progress but the ebay customer service told me I'm going to get my refund through that.

So overall, mixed experiences but slightly leaning towards positive for the time being. I'm considering to make a blog post with pictures once the last one arrives but not sure if that's a good idea. A lot of people seem to hate bootlegs with passion so an objective review of bootleg figures might get a negative reception.
  • kaityleeKawaii MistressRegular Boarder
    kaitylee
    • No
    • 9 months ago
    • Texas
    11 days ago
    The first bootleg I ever received was ITEM #13601

Then a little later ITEM #107714

I got them both from an actual store, before knowing bootlegs existed. I thought they looked kind of funny but I didnt realize they were bootlegs until I found MFC
    ProbablyANinja
    • No
    • 4 months ago
    10 days ago
    kaitylee (11 days ago) #61754336The first bootleg I ever received was ITEM #13601
    Then a little later ITEM #107714
    I got them both from an actual store, before knowing bootlegs existed. I thought they looked kind of funny but I didnt realize they were bootlegs until I found MFC

It seems like every Nendoroid has a bootleg made of it. :( Back before ITEM #215491 got a re-release, I was looking on ebay for one and 99% of them were bootlegs. I knew just from the price because the real one was going for $300, and most of the ones on there were going for like $20, which is never what a Nendoroid would sell for--especially not one that was distributed exclusively on a single website for a limited time.
  • jessicooooooooRegular Boarder
    jessicoooooooo
    • No
    • 5 years ago
    • Seacoast, NH, United States
    10 days ago • Updated 10 days ago
    I bought a Sonico figure off of my best friend, she was a little broken and had some marks but nothing I cant fix. I only saw pictures of it online and thought nothing of it. They gave it to me and instantly knew it was a bootleg. To this day I'm too afraid to tell them it's fake because they have a bunch of other figures, which are possibly bootlegs that they got at cons and off ebay:,) I spent $30 on her but I fixed her up, and the money went to someone who really needed it so no harm.
    ProbablyANinja
    • No
    • 4 months ago
    10 days ago • Updated 10 days ago
    jessicoooooooo (10 days ago) #61785186I bought a Sonico figure off of my best friend, she was a little broken and had some marks but nothing I cant fix. I only saw pictures of it online and thought nothing of it. They gave it to me and instantly knew it was a bootleg. To this day I'm too afraid to tell them it's fake because they have a bunch of other figures, which are possibly bootlegs that they got at cons and off ebay:,) I spent $30 on her but I fixed her up, and the money went to someone who really needed it so no harm.

Yikes. Well, I guess you could tell her indirectly that some of her figures might be bootlegs, like saying, "Hey, I was doing some research online and it looks like there are a bunch of Sonico bootlegs circulating."

If it were me, I would tell them because if they have to find out by themselves eventually (like, after they've bought even more that are bootlegs), it may hurt them worse than hearing it from a friend. I suppose you don't have to tell her that the one you received is a bootleg though.

That's just my advice, I guess. But you know her better than I do, obviously. :)

(By the way, I was looking at your collection just now and I see that you're a fellow fan of Animal Crossing. Do you know about the miniature figures that they released back when the Gamecube version was new? They're super cute, but also really expensive. I used to have a bunch, but I sold them years ago...)
  • 15 replies
  • Join the club to join the discussion.