HomeForumsThread #16579

MFC Secret Santa Group!Secret Santa 2019!

Which messenger system should we use?

50 replies

• 50 replies
  • ponnie~Donyatsu Huntress~Regular Boarder
    ponnie
    • No
    • 7 years ago
    • Siberia
    1 month ago • Updated 1 month ago
    Hi to all Santas out there!

Since my blog got deleted and I have little time to re-write this all over till MODs are happy, this event announcement is limited to forum. Please, feel free to invite your friends :3

Let's do this again this year, rules are the same:

— we do it at DrawNames
    5 USD entrance fee via PayPal to support gifts for those giftees that might end up Santa-less
    (if unused we donate it to charity we all choose together!)
    no quitting unless you absolutely have to and, please, inform us in advance
    you provide valid contacts, that is, email that you check daily and your Facebook or other social where you check in regularly
    gift budget is 40 USD (or more) + shipping
    — most importantly, be nice to your giftee and make a great gift so that we can all share Christmas spirit together :3

Entry & fees open till August 26.
    I'll set up a group at DrawNames right after that, so the names will be drawn by August, 31 or earlier.
    You'll have till October, 31 to ship your gift so please avoid pre-orders at all cost!

Organization committee contacts:

Me, ponnie
    Since I'm not a supporter, my inbox and outbox are extremely limited. I'll be keepeng track of all messages here and see that we're up to schedule )

Your main contact will be minami_desu
    She's awesome and will handle our PMs and other info :3

We'll do our best to keep up this small annual tradition that we love so much, that is, the great MFC Secret Santa!

I also suggest that we set up a chat group somewhere (Facebook, Telegram, WhatsApp or similar). This won't be a chaotic chat but a channel to send out reminders and notification to you all at once. So there will be no unnecessary notifications for you~

So, to participate, please, state your intention in the comment section here!

Also, vote in the poll for a messenger of choice so that we could keep you up to date on everything. You can add your suggestions, too. Please keep in mind that we'll use the messenger chosen by majority of participants.
  • minami_desuRegular Boarder
    minami_desu
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Samara, Russia
    1 month ago
    Yaay! I’m so glad that this tradition is still going, will do my best to help out with organization this year~ Let’s have fun!
  • broken-Toyboxlump of lazinessRegular Boarder
    broken-Toybox
    • No
    • 2 years ago
    • NRW
    I'd like to take part again this year, but I won't start using fb for it as that's not an option for me.
  • Celtic7GuardianRegular Boarder
    Celtic7Guardian
    • No
    • 9 years ago
    • United States of America
    1 month ago
    I'm in! As for the programs offered, while I have a Facebook account, I'm not sure what the other two are. Do they have a big sign-up process or anything?
  • minami_desuRegular Boarder
    minami_desu
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Samara, Russia
    1 month ago
    Celtic7Guardian (1 month ago) #65476151I'm in! As for the programs offered, while I have a Facebook account, I'm not sure what the other two are. Do they have a big sign-up process or anything?
    Not really. You just download an app to your phone, connect it with your phone number, add a username and that’s it. Don’t know about Whatsapp, but in Telegram you can hide your phone number so no one will see it, if you are bothered about disclosing your private information.
  • ponnie~Donyatsu Huntress~Regular Boarder
    ponnie
    • No
    • 7 years ago
    • Siberia
    1 month ago
    Celtic7Guardian (1 month ago) #65476151I'm in! As for the programs offered, while I have a Facebook account, I'm not sure what the other two are. Do they have a big sign-up process or anything?

These are fairly easy to install.

Telegram is my fav since it offers complete anonymity and is actually an app for channel notifications so it's easy to set up a closed channel we'll use only to notify people about upcoming deadline, for example.

We had a lot of trouble with people being too late or reluctant to reply via MFC PM systems or email, or having a full inbox, or leaving the site for good but still willing to go through with the Santa and so on. It doesn't really help that in Russia I know have to use Tor to access the site and it might slow down communications so there's that, too.

Thus, I'd like to have an easier-to-access notification system for participants this time. I mean, messenger is an app on your phone, who doesn't check their phone regularly these days?

If you know something similar that you find easy to use for quick notification of a group of people who might prefer to hide their identity other than a nickname, please, add it to the poll.
  • JaydeRegular Boarder
    Jayde
    • No
    • 4 years ago
    • New York, USA
    Sign me up for this year! Glad to see this continuing again, as I feared it wasn't going to happen (I should've offered to help out). I fear this will get buried in the forums though since not everyone uses them, myself included. :(

I use Facebook, Discord, and Whatsapp daily for my chat services, so either one will work for me. I'll save my vote for later to see which could use it.
  • MecatronicoRegular Boarder
    Mecatronico
    • No
    • 7 years ago
    • Belo Horizonte / MG / Brasil
    1 month ago
    Ok, I will be part of it again, we cant let it die. Sign me in.
  • vivichanRegular Boarder
    vivichan
    • No
    • 7 years ago
    • Toronto, Canada
    1 month ago
    I'd like to participate :)
    SHELF♡LIFE: blog | instagram
  • cmcookiezRegular Boarder
    cmcookiez
    • No
    • 5 years ago
    • Toronto Canada
    1 month ago
    I will be interested in being part of this again!
  • MaakieRegular Boarder
    Maakie
    • No
    • 8 years ago
    • The Netherlands, Netherlands
    1 month ago
    Would love to participate as well! :) Organizers can add me on WhatsApp as I guess that is the 'social media' I check most regularly. ;)
    Things I am selling/trading:
    LIST #14643
    LIST #96871
    LIST #45514
    LIST #57698
    ~Thanks for looking!~

Cosplay website: tinyurl.com/maa...

Figure blog (mainly reviews and loots): profile/Maakie/...
  • moonangelicaRegular Boarder
    moonangelica
    • No
    • 5 years ago
    1 month ago
    I'm interested in participating. I can use Whatsapp and Facebook but never heard of Telegram. Can I also offer Discord as a suggestion?
  • tapiocaqueenRegular Boarder
    tapiocaqueen
    • No
    • 4 years ago
    1 month ago
    I'd love to participate.
  • TheySayMoopRegular Boarder
    TheySayMoop
    • No
    • 5 years ago
    • New Hampshire, USA
    I’m so excited to see this post popping up! Even though things have barely started, I want to thank everyone involved in working to organize yet another awesome MFC Secret Santa. I definitely want to participate again this year!
    I’m also okay with whatever messaging system we need to use. I’ve never heard of Telegram before today, but I’m sure it’s easy enough to figure out.
    Line is another messaging app that I love using daily (mostly because it has tons of stickers from my favorite anime)! It also allows for anonymity, as user don’t need to show their real names or phone numbers to others. I’ve used it for large group chats with users from other sites I frequent, as well as smaller groups with other MFC members.
    ~~ Selling LIST #37530 ~~
    ~~ My Splits LIST #37725 ~~
  • ookamiichi08Regular Boarder
    ookamiichi08
    • No
    • 3 years ago
    • Baltimore, MD
    1 month ago
    Woot! I wanna sign up for this year since I missed out on last years one.
  • LordNacho11Regular Boarder
    LordNacho11
    • No
    • 4 months ago
    1 month ago
    I'm interested in joining, any messaging service is ok with me!
  • HotoriRegular Boarder
    Hotori
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Illinois, USA
    1 month ago
    I'd be more than happy to join. Any of the messengers work for me. So excited for this!
  • turnmebackwardsRegular Boarder
    turnmebackwards
    • No
    • 4 years ago
    • England
    1 month ago
    I'm interested count me in
  • raychurRegular Boarder
    raychur
    • No
    • 7 years ago
    • MI
    1 month ago
    I would love to participate again!

Also, my vote is for discord : )
  • Ctan_OverlordRobin~Chwan!!Regular Boarder
    Ctan_Overlord
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Ireland
    1 month ago
    Sign me up! Thanks for taking up the reigns and keeping this fun tradition going ^^

I would say either WhatsApp or Discord for communication. Discord is good as it's anonymous which some people may prefer.

Also if you haven't already maybe make a blog post linking to this forum post. The mods may remove it but at least a few more people may get the chance to see it and join in.
  • 50 replies
  • Join the club to join the discussion.