0%I will get merch some other way
    22%Will buy more from UK based sellers
    17%That's life
    6%I will petition my MP
    17%I will import less
    0%I have an alternative i can use
    18 votes
    1 month ago
    So i thought i saw a link here somewhere relating to import duty changes for low value items and a petition in relation to it but i can't find it again

Has anyone else looked at
    www.gov.uk/gove...

Changes to import duties
    Couple this with the free trade agreement with Japan might make working out whether you will have to pay or not difficult.

What do you think the effect will be on imports of Figures and other goods, this looks potentially pretty harsh as it means sellers need to potentially register and pre-pay import duties for goods shipped to the UK.

This will make importing low value items pretty costly, at the moment from my experience parcel delivery companies have a flat admin fee of £12, is this why i am seeing more import duty charges.

Any thoughts, how do you think this will play out for UK buyers. Do you think you will import less often, will some sellers stop selling to the uk, is it just going to get a lot more costly, will it have no noticeable effect or just going to use UK Anime shops more.
  • tharglet
    thargletRegular Boarder • lv19
    Offline708 replies
    1 month ago
    Will have to see how it all shakes out... Might mean I transition to using other retailers. Some things I may buy domestic, may end up using the more popular retailers if it all ends up the same.

Prepayment of VAT would mean there wouldn't be clearance to pay, so in some ways this may make importing small goods a bit more friendly. If we look at the support for Aus's GST prepayments, I think we will see quite a few retailers supporting collecting of VAT.

It will definitely level the playing field out more.
  • kamikazilucas
    kamikazilucasRegular Boarder • lv8
    Offline17 replies
    18 days ago
    i made a petition here petition.parlia... btw
  • kamikazilucas
    Offline17 replies
    18 days ago
    tharglet1 month ago#88083147Will have to see how it all shakes out... Might mean I transition to using other retailers. Some things I may buy domestic, may end up using the more popular retailers if it all ends up the same.
    Prepayment of VAT would mean there wouldn't be clearance to pay, so in some ways this may make importing small goods a bit more friendly. If we look at the support for Aus's GST prepayments, I think we will see quite a few retailers supporting collecting of VAT.
    It will definitely level the playing field out more.

how likely is it that a site like amiami would make it so you can pay the 20% on the site though
  • tharglet
    thargletRegular Boarder • lv19
    Offline708 replies
    18 days ago
    kamikazilucas18 days ago#89353169how likely is it that a site like amiami would make it so you can pay the 20% on the site though

I'm expecting the "big three" (AA, HLJ, HS) to implement VAT collection for the UK and EU when the respective legislation comes into force. Outside of that, I'm not sure.
    Amazon's sites already collect VAT.
  • Heartlessxox1
    Heartlessxox1Regular Boarder • lv10
    Offline7 replies
    17 days ago • Updated 17 days ago
    figuresuki1 month ago#88081832So i thought i saw a link here somewhere relating to import duty changes for low value items and a petition in relation to it but i can't find it again
    Has anyone else looked at
    www.gov.uk/gove...
    Changes to import duties
    Couple this with the free trade agreement with Japan might make working out whether you will have to pay or not difficult.
    What do you think the effect will be on imports of Figures and other goods, this looks potentially pretty harsh as it means sellers need to potentially register and pre-pay import duties for goods shipped to the UK.
    This will make importing low value items pretty costly, at the moment from my experience parcel delivery companies have a flat admin fee of £12, is this why i am seeing more import duty charges.
    Any thoughts, how do you think this will play out for UK buyers. Do you think you will import less often, will some sellers stop selling to the uk, is it just going to get a lot more costly, will it have no noticeable effect or just going to use UK Anime shops more.

You know this is out of date right? This is talking about no deal brexit back in 2018 going on 2019 and doesn't talk about the current deal that has been made, and the deal made doesn't impact us at all with imports. Trust I read that sweating lol, but this article you've linked to doesn't apply. This is in regards to a no-deal brexit so it doesn't count.

This was also before the deal with Japan so this is definitely outdated.
  • EsmeAllan
    EsmeAllanRegular Boarder • lv13
    Offline24 replies
    17 days ago
    Heartlessxox117 days ago#89385236You know this is out of date right? This is talking about no deal brexit back in 2018 going on 2019 and doesn't talk about the current deal that has been made, and the deal made doesn't impact us at all with imports. Trust I read that sweating lol, but this article you've linked to doesn't apply. This is in regards to a no-deal brexit so it doesn't count.

Anyone looking for something more in date, there's this www.gov.uk/guid.... I can confirm this has definitly been put into place already - Just bought something on EBay from Japan and had to pay the 20% VAT.

Currently waiting to see if we get announcements from sites like AmiAmi, Mandarake etc. regarding the prepaying of VAT. If they don't require prepayment, I may have to stop buying small items from them because of handling fees. I really have no idea what they'll say though, if anything.

Honestly, I'm perfectly happy to pay the import fees even on lower priced goods if it really is just the 20%. It's the handling fees from Royal Mail and such that, for me, make importing so expensive. Most of the time it ends up more than the VAT itself!
  • Heartlessxox1
    Offline7 replies
    17 days ago
    EsmeAllan17 days ago#89409335Anyone looking for something more in date, there's this www.gov.uk/guid.... I can confirm this has definitly been put into place already - Just bought something on EBay from Japan and had to pay the 20% VAT.
    Currently waiting to see if we get announcements from sites like AmiAmi, Mandarake etc. regarding the prepaying of VAT. If they don't require prepayment, I may have to stop buying small items from them because of handling fees. I really have no idea what they'll say though, if anything.
    Honestly, I'm perfectly happy to pay the import fees even on lower priced goods if it really is just the 20%. It's the handling fees from Royal Mail and such that, for me, make importing so expensive. Most of the time it ends up more than the VAT itself!

That's so true tho! Most of the time the VAT is like £4 but then bloody royal mail adds the £8 handling fee and suddenly it's £12 for a £20 figure! It's so ridiculous
  • Heartlessxox1
    Offline7 replies
    17 days ago
    EsmeAllan17 days ago#89409335Anyone looking for something more in date, there's this www.gov.uk/guid.... I can confirm this has definitly been put into place already - Just bought something on EBay from Japan and had to pay the 20% VAT.

Does this also mean that there are no longer handling fees from royal mail of VAT is already paid when purchasing?
  • figuresuki
    figuresukiRegular Boarder • lv7
    Offline25 replies
    17 days ago
    Heartlessxox117 days ago#89385236You know this is out of date right? This is talking about no deal brexit back in 2018 going on 2019 and doesn't talk about the current deal that has been made, and the deal made doesn't impact us at all with imports. Trust I read that sweating lol, but this article you've linked to doesn't apply. This is in regards to a no-deal brexit so it doesn't count.

Updated rules as of 20th November
    www.gov.uk/guid...
    Not sure if the deal with the EU will affect this.
    Not sure if there is anymore up to date rules now we have a deal of sorts with the EU.

Personally it would be good if overseas companies paid the vat, added to my bill and I then did not need to pay handling costs to the currier , usually £12, for low priced goods that is a relatively large amount to pay making importing lower cost items not as viable to import.
  • EsmeAllan
    EsmeAllanRegular Boarder • lv13
    Offline24 replies
    17 days ago
    Heartlessxox117 days ago#89409351Does this also mean that there are no longer handling fees from royal mail of VAT is already paid when purchasing?

Pretty sure, yeah. You only pay the handling fee when customs fees are raised and obviously that isn't going to happen if they've already been paid... Either way, when my first parcel of 2021 from Japan comes I'll maybe post here again about how it went. Hopefully not having to wait to pay fees etc. should mean parcels should arrive quicker too? Hm...
  • turnmebackwards
    turnmebackwardsRegular Boarder • lv12
    Offline61 replies
    16 days ago
    I had a parcel from Japan sneak in on the 31st December 2020 luckily.

So anything from any other place outside of the UK now has tax or if tax not declared handling fees and taxes apply.

Amazon.co.jp already pay the tax on your behalf it's within the bill at checkout. I have two games pre-ordered with them and still the same checkout costs 2020 to 2021.

I have a figure pre-ordered with biginjap due out in Feb 2021 hoping they'll undervalue and mark as gift like they normally do.

I use to buy loads from proxy services but gonna think again due to all the bills and the 20% tax business and handling fees pretty much guaranteed.

I get the feeling this is going to put a lot of people off importing. The 20% tax and handling fees was always the gambling part of importing for me. I'd always request sent as gift and low values on customs forms if rejected find somewhere else to buy from. With figures at a all time high really is another kick to the wallet.
  • kamikazilucas
    Offline17 replies
    13 days ago
    figuresuki17 days ago#89409550Updated rules as of 20th November
    www.gov.uk/guid...
    Not sure if the deal with the EU will affect this.
    Not sure if there is anymore up to date rules now we have a deal of sorts with the EU.
    Personally it would be good if overseas companies paid the vat, added to my bill and I then did not need to pay handling costs to the currier , usually £12, for low priced goods that is a relatively large amount to pay making importing lower cost items not as viable to import.

so wait does this apply for every site or just sites like ebay and amazon that have a thing in place for it?
  • kamikazilucas
    Offline17 replies
    13 days ago
    turnmebackwards16 days ago#89443924I had a parcel from Japan sneak in on the 31st December 2020 luckily.
    So anything from any other place outside of the UK now has tax or if tax not declared handling fees and taxes apply.
    Amazon.co.jp already pay the tax on your behalf it's within the bill at checkout. I have two games pre-ordered with them and still the same checkout costs 2020 to 2021.
    I have a figure pre-ordered with biginjap due out in Feb 2021 hoping they'll undervalue and mark as gift like they normally do.
    I use to buy loads from proxy services but gonna think again due to all the bills and the 20% tax business and handling fees pretty much guaranteed.
    I get the feeling this is going to put a lot of people off importing. The 20% tax and handling fees was always the gambling part of importing for me. I'd always request sent as gift and low values on customs forms if rejected find somewhere else to buy from. With figures at a all time high really is another kick to the wallet.

does marking as gift work for you still? i have to pay import regardless of it being on the package when the item was under 39 pounds so idk
  • turnmebackwards
    Offline61 replies
    13 days ago
    kamikazilucas13 days ago#89624080does marking as gift work for you still? i have to pay import regardless of it being on the package when the item was under 39 pounds so idk

Very hit or miss I always asked people to label as gift and 3000 Yen a few years back and didn't have any problems for awhile then they started charging for them all.

Then I asked for the parcels to be valued at 2000 Yen and gift this worked as long as postage costs aren't on the parcel as customs started combining the costs and I got hit.

In 2020 I'd ask for 1500 Yen plus gift and not to declare postage costs. Been working but keep in mind it's a risk as you'd only be insured for that value. Also this doesn't always work they see a company name or box depending how they feel you could still get charged. Some Japanese sellers even offer blank boxes and real names written on customs form Jungle-scs.co.jp did this this and a store I use called toudoukan does.

Use to order from Play-Asia they'd ship from Hong Kong to Holland then onto England every single parcel got hit. They have a option to pay tax upfront but works out a lot more I no longer order from them.

Biginjap always low value and do all mentioned above unsure what they ll do with the new laws. I mostly use Amazon.co.jp as they calculate tax well and refund any difference plus fast shipping.
  • kamikazilucas
    Offline17 replies
    13 days ago
    turnmebackwards13 days ago#89636635Very hit or miss I always asked people to label as gift and 3000 Yen a few years back and didn't have any problems for awhile then they started charging for them all.
    Then I asked for the parcels to be valued at 2000 Yen and gift this worked as long as postage costs aren't on the parcel as customs started combining the costs and I got hit.
    In 2020 I'd ask for 1500 Yen plus gift and not to declare postage costs. Been working but keep in mind it's a risk as you'd only be insured for that value. Also this doesn't always work they see a company name or box depending how they feel you could still get charged. Some Japanese sellers even offer blank boxes and real names written on customs form Jungle-scs.co.jp did this this and a store I use called toudoukan does.
    Use to order from Play-Asia they'd ship from Hong Kong to Holland then onto England every single parcel got hit. They have a option to pay tax upfront but works out a lot more I no longer order from them.
    Biginjap always low value and do all mentioned above unsure what they ll do with the new laws. I mostly use Amazon.co.jp as they calculate tax well and refund any difference plus fast shipping.

hmm maybe i can ask nin nin to use a blank box so i can mark it as gift then
  • turnmebackwards
    Offline61 replies
    13 days ago
    kamikazilucas13 days ago#89638569hmm maybe i can ask nin nin to use a blank box so i can mark it as gift then

Taken from Nin Nin Game -

Do I have to pay Customs/Taxes when I receive my order?

If you choose FedEx/DHL or Japan Post as a shipping method, depending on your country of residence, you may be required to settle Custom fees/taxes when your parcel arrives. This is not systematic, but it happens and it is the law. Checks are usually performed at random, and the taxation amount then mainly depends on the amount declared on your orders invoice. You are free to choose the amount that we declare on this invoice: please let us know in the "Comments" field at the time you order on our website. We may also mark your parcel as "Gift" if you wish so - For more information, please do not hesitate to contact us!

If you choose "Shipped by AMAZON" as a shipping method, you will not have to settle any tax: we handle Customs Clearance for you!
  • kamikazilucas
    Offline17 replies
    13 days ago
    turnmebackwards13 days ago#89639203Taken from Nin Nin Game -
    Do I have to pay Customs/Taxes when I receive my order?
    If you choose FedEx/DHL or Japan Post as a shipping method, depending on your country of residence, you may be required to settle Custom fees/taxes when your parcel arrives. This is not systematic, but it happens and it is the law. Checks are usually performed at random, and the taxation amount then mainly depends on the amount declared on your orders invoice. You are free to choose the amount that we declare on this invoice: please let us know in the "Comments" field at the time you order on our website. We may also mark your parcel as "Gift" if you wish so - For more information, please do not hesitate to contact us!
    If you choose "Shipped by AMAZON" as a shipping method, you will not have to settle any tax: we handle Customs Clearance for you!

yes they offer gift shipping and they lower the value which is why i managed to get a 9000 yen figure through last year, but now the 15 pound limit is no more so i need it to be a gift
  • kamikazilucas
    Offline17 replies
    13 days ago
    kamikazilucas13 days ago#89638569hmm maybe i can ask nin nin to use a blank box so i can mark it as gift then
    wdym by real names, you mean like my real name or their real name
  • figuresuki
    figuresukiRegular Boarder • lv7
    Offline25 replies
    13 days ago
    kamikazilucas18 days ago#89353169how likely is it that a site like amiami would make it so you can pay the 20% on the site though
    We don't know, in theory it's the retailers responsibility to take the vat.
    However I can't see small retailers doing this unless someone sets up a cheap service to cover the collection as part of the payment.
    Perhaps hopefully some of the bigger ones will.

I would rather pay the vat up front if I can, at least then that way I don't get the courier charge of £12 to £15 on top which makes smaller, cheaper goods not viable to purchase.
  • Join the club to join the discussion.
  • 47 replies