- #12 months agoThought this might have a better chance at sparking group conversation if I made a actual thread instead of just the comments on the front page.
What was everyone's first MT experience? Mine was being recommended the first Devil Survivor on the DS. I never got so engrossed in a game before, I played every route, for the first time did every bonus boss and collected every single demon. I'm usually a very lazy gamer but MT games just hook me. I played Person 3 shortly after and fell in love with that subseries of MT. Have played basically every one I could get my hands on after that. Though only Shin Megami Tensei games, never played an old just Megami Tensei game.
My figure and poster collection is mostly SMT/Persona stuff it's my top priority in collecting.
- #22 months agoSorry, haven't been on here for a min. I think mine was back in 2012 (I was 19 around that time) after I found a list of PS2 "hidden gems" that had Persona 4 on the list. I pirated an ISO of it, got really stoned, and had my mind blown because of how much it reminded me of Twin Peaks. Unfortunately didn't spend that much time gaming around that time, and didn't get very far.
Over the past decade, much like you, I've virtually played every localized title in the mainline, as well as the fan translations. Despite this, I've only finished SMT IV, IVA, and Persona 5.
My main mission is to collect every game from the franchise. Really hoping we see some more figures with the release of SMT V and the Nocturne RM.
Here's some pics of the stuff I've picked up over the last few years.
- #32 months agoNice set up! Though I admit I find it weird you don't finish most of the games. The only SMT/Persona games I haven't played are some of their re-vamps (like Golden or Royal) and haven't played any of the Persona rhythm games cause, well, they're rhythm games and while I am decent at them I don't find them interesting gameplay. Bought one of the figures for the outfit though.
I don't keep physical copies of video games around, just not my thing. I do like collecting the manga adaptations though.
I basically collect as many SMT figures as I can, with restrictions on price per item. I only own a few scales cause I got them insanely cheap from auctions. I think the most I ever spent on one was $52 for ITEM #83754. So it's been a slow build up over the years of bargain hunting.
I need to take new pictures of my SMT shrines since I reorganized them since last time I took photos.
Also hoping for more merch with the new games. Especially for Nocturne. I don't buy figmas often (not much of a action figure fan) but got my eyes on ITEM #1070755 and hoping he's not too expensive when he finally is available.
- #42 months agoIdk, I guess you could say I'm fickle when it comes to JRPG's, but I usually put at least 50+ hours in any I play. I bought most of the 3DS SMT games years ago when they were all super cheap, so I was frequently jumping between them. I think it just comes down to having too much to play. I just started Digital Devil Saga 3 months ago, got to Disneyland, and ended up getting hooked back on MHW. I definitely want to finish DDS and Raidou because I'd really like to play the sequels and see where the story goes. I got to the Diet Building/Fifth Kalpa (I think) in Nocturne about a year ago, but it's been way too long since I last played it, so I'm looking to actually complete it when it comes to the states on Switch.
btw. not sure if you caught these, but fangamer dropped some Nocturne merch a little bit ago; pretty cool shit.
- #52 months ago • Updated 2 months agoNeuromantic • 2 months ago • #93951583Idk, I guess you could say I'm fickle when it comes to JRPG's, but I usually put at least 50+ hours in any I play. I bought most of the 3DS SMT games years ago when they were all super cheap, so I was frequently jumping between them. I think it just comes down to having too much to play. I just started Digital Devil Saga 3 months ago, got to Disneyland, and ended up getting hooked back on MHW. I definitely want to finish DDS and Raidou because I'd really like to play the sequels and see where the story goes. I got to the Diet Building/Fifth Kalpa (I think) in Nocturne about a year ago, but it's been way too long since I last played it, so I'm looking to actually complete it when it comes to the states on Switch.
btw. not sure if you caught these, but fangamer dropped some Nocturne merch a little bit ago; pretty cool shit.
Ugh I was almost done with my response when my computer crashed. For now on I am typing long posts in Google Docs first, cause that was annoying. Ok let’s see if I remember what I was saying.
I have to focus on one game at a time cause when I try to swap around I will forget what is happening/how to play and that will lead to me dropping or starting over. I am a pretty picky gamer, I don’t play many series, SMT is the main one (though I also freaking LOVE the Shadow Hearts series but sadly we’ll not be getting any more of those, but loved all three).
For SMT I only didn’t finish P3P because the female protagonist just didn’t bring enough new to the game that I was kinda bored replaying the same story but dumbed down since they had to cut stuff for the PSP.
I also have yet to get the ending I want for Nocturne. I screwed up in my first playthrough and got the “nothing happens” ending. I tried going for a full Chaos ending next but turned out to be way too hard and just gave up on it for a long time even though it was otherwise one of my favorites. So I am looking forward to a re-release to give another crack at the ending I wanted.
I get stressed easily and if something is too hard for me I happily hand things over to my husband to get me past tough spots (sometimes though I will just give up on a game if it’s too hard or has a complicated battle system). I have no shame and am a terrible gamer. I like to stick to turn-based combat games because they are less stressful (still enjoyed the Raidou games even though they broke from this formula, would not mind another installment in that series).
I also like watching certain video games that I don’t like playing myself. So plenty of games I am a fan of but only via watching my husband play them, mainly horror games as I love horror. I myself only played the original three Silent Hill games (favorite series of my husband, he made me play them but once we hit The Room I made him take over). Now I just watch my husband play those sort of games. It’s hard to scare me in other media (though horror is my favorite movie genre), but it’s easy to startle me in games. I am way too jumpy (shot my escore mission in the face in SH2 because she startled me -_-).
As for the merchandise, I haven’t really been keeping up with non figure goods as I try to not collect much outside of figures and sometimes posters (though I have been constantly tempted into getting more into keychains). I don’t even collect many physical manga anymore, mostly gone digital with things like Bookwalker. I get hooked on collecting easily (was raised in a video rental/collectibles store, so I caught the bug early with things like pogs and trading cards. Have sold off all that stuff by now though) but only have so much money/space so I have chosen what to focus on, just select manga series, a few posters and inexpensive mostly SMT figures. Video games get sold off once we have thoroughly played through them.
I actually almost bought one of the acrylic figure stands for Nocturne protag but when I was given the final price the shipping for a light acrylic stand was like $30 so I canceled the order immediately. Shipping prices are insane right now, though some places are opening options again.
I’ve been dealing with medical problems for a while and that is when I tend to focus on the collecting, it helps keep me sane through the pain. When I am normal I tend to be pretty busy drawing I’d go like a year plus without even touching a video game or looking at new figures before I had my relapse. I am currently in recovery again hence why I started becoming more social on the site, I need to fill my time/void in my soul as we get things treated.
Any of the new merch you are planning on getting? If so what? I’m always curious what people are up to in their collecting.
- #62 months ago • Updated 2 months agoDamn, sorry to hear about your medical issues, hope things get better. On the subject of collecting, I totally get not wanting to horde a bunch of stuff that doesn't really have any or limited function. I feel a lot of what I choose to add to my collections are things that I wouldn't be able to afford later down the road. I primarily collect games, video game soundtrack vinyl, and figures, all of which seem to be things that can get quite expensive after their initial releases. I think the latter two make sense for the most part, but with the digital games and emulation, modern video games kind of sit in a grey area of things that seem arbitrary to collect for some people.
Despite being pretty into PC gaming, I think I just remain hesitant when it comes to digital as a sustainable/long-term platform, so I guess it kind really comes down to preservation. I think we'll see a pretty massive shift towards subscription based gaming over the next few years, and streaming games as the norm much later down the line. As a collector, I'm obviously not very enthusiastic about this direction, but I'd like to feel like I'm sort of future proofing for when normal people don't really own games anymore. If you think about it, we've seen the same thing happen with music and video over the last 10-15 years, so I see why it would make sense for video games as well, but I digress.
In response to your question about the merch, I enthusiastically picked up the Nocturne shirt and poster Fangamer put on sale mere moments after they dropped. Fangamer puts out video game vinyl records as well, and I'm really hoping to see them press the soundtrack for Nocturne at the very least. Also hoping we see an actual scale figure for Demifiend soon, as I would pre-order instantly. Is there any merch in particular you would like to see?
- #72 months agoI have been doing better recently, thank you! I have a disorder with my nerves and muscles in my neck that can cause chronic 24/7 intense muscle pain and tension headaches, I was unable to do anything for 7 years straight while doctors tried to figure out what was wrong with me (I managed to snag a easy online temp job for Google through a relative during this time and it's when I accumulated most of my collection to keep me sane-sadly it's not a job you can do permanently). You'd be shocked by some of the treatments/medications I have had. We have managed to have it more under control now but there isn't really a name for my disorder, but it is similar to fibromyalgia. I have special devices and medication and I am limited physically in what I can do. Luckily I have a dedicated and loving work-from-home husband who takes care of me and gives me injections when needed, we just celebrated our anniversary today : D.
Anyway onto the fun talk!
If they make a new Demifiend scale I just hope it doesn't skyrocket in price like ITEM #161260 and ITEM #677210 did, cause I would love at least one decent figure of him in my collection (all I have is ITEM #115181 and I only got him cause he was just a few bucks, he's probably the most hideous figure in my collection XD). But scales like, start out at $200 these days so I dunno if getting one will even be possible for me outside of potential secondhand sales, fingers crossed!
I can totally understand your feelings on owning physical copies of media, it was kind of a hard choice to part with a lot of my physical manga cause it's what I grew up on and are what inspired me to draw my own, but I have gotten used to digital reading recently especially on my tablet cause it lets me swipe like turning a page. I also have been drawing comics digitally for like two decades so kinda makes sense I support them too lol though I still plan to make physical copies available for my own selfish needs (my husband/editor wanted me to do Webtoon style, but I was raised on manga and comic book formats and haven't quite gotten into the Webtoon format yet-just don't like it as much). I sill collect physical copies of manga that I really click with.
I got into video games really late in life as we just could not afford them growing up. I was a college student before I got to play a PS2. However I have witnessed the change of how movie and television are consumed in a similar way as I was raised in a family-own video store (dad tried video game renting early in his career with NES games but since we lived in such a small remote place they just did not rent well so he stopped doing games). So I'm the sort of old person who was a little sad to see VHS go out of style cause we had such a impressive library of rare videos and a lot of stuff just never made it to DVD or Blu Ray. So it took me a while to get the hang of things like streaming cause I just was so used to watching whatever we got in our store. Love streaming now though, I second-screen a lot of movies and tv while I draw especially horror movies they are my favorite. I still like to rent movies as opposed to downloading to support them when I can as video renting is in my blood.
I loved the heck out of that store, unfortunately it and my family situation had a sad ending that is full of more drama than anyone is interested in hearing. Needless to say I don't have anything really cool leftover from it.
As for new merchandise I want, it's pretty much always prize figures of characters I love. As I can't bring myself to spend a lot on a single figure and I am perfectly happy with the quality of "most" prize figure companies (and they actually have been getting better in quality without getting that much more expensive, but it varies company to company). I am interested in Good Smile's Pop Up Parade line, I like that they are somewhere between Prize and Scale. I hope to see more things like that come into existence with this huge spike in scale prices.
So I'm really hoping that there is some new prize figure lines to come out related to MT. We got Strikers, SMT V and SMT3 all coming out this year (unless Covid has pushed back the second two's releases which wouldn't surprise me) so I am hoping for something out of that. Obviously Demifiend is a favorite and I really want a decent one. I don't even know what SMT V is going to be like and I already know I am going to want stuff from it lol.
- TheCringeMaster • • Regular Boarder • lv18#81 month agoIf this counts, my first MegaTen experience was with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore a couple of days after it released. I mainly played it for the Fire Emblem stuff but the mixture of predominantly Atlus gameplay alongside that of the Fire Emblem series got me hooked and I found it fun.
Then one of my irl friends introduced me to one of their favourite games, Persona 3 Portable, and I gave it a try. It was alright, but the social sim elements were boring imo. Only got up to 50 hours and dropped it there after.
Later on in September last year, when I heard about the 3DS eShop closing down, I started homebrewing SMT IV and I got to say, in comparrison to Persona in general, it's definitely my thing. I played about 30 hours of it so far and I played only a teensie little bit of the Devil Survivor games and Strange Journey.
I'm not as experienced as some of the other members of this club but I do plan on getting a fat PS3 to jail-break so I can play more MegaTen games considering that my potato computer can't even emulate Nocturne pass the introduction scene.
- haydenluvsanime • • Regular Boarder • lv7#915 days agoHeard my classmate talking about Persona 4 around 10 years ago or so. Played that and 3 way later on an emulator, then I discovered Nocturne and it all went downhill from there. Nocturne and Persona 2 are my favorites now
- wobaba • • Regular Boarder • lv5#1015 days ago • Updated 15 days agoMy first experience with it was when I was little, I got Persona 3 because a local game store had a huge sale and the art on the cover really appealed to me. When I got home I started playing it and I loved it! The style, the music, everything was just so cool! But as the game went on, I got really scared by a lot of the monsters, and once I reached one of the first bosses, my parents wouldn't let me play it anymore xD. Hmm, I wonder why...
Yeah, I really shouldn't have been playing it when I was so young xD.
A couple years later I went back to it though, this time on the PSP and I loved it just as much as when I was a kid. I've played all the Persona games except 1+2, but I plan to play them sometime! My favorite is probably P3P, just because of the nostalgia and being able to play as a FEMC (hope they let you play as a FEMC in future titles!)
I've got a pretty good collection of Persona games, might upload some pictures of that sometime. :)
I'm gonna pick up Nocturne on the switch soon so that's gonna be my first proper Megami Tensei game.
- 10 replies