Chinese and other FiguresASS Studio - Anyone familiar with them?

• amuletdiamond
    amuletdiamondRegular Boarder • lv6
    Online3 replies
    12 days ago
    Hey!

I came across this unlicensed figure of Asuka when I was scrolling through Taobao: item.taobao.com.... I think she's super pretty! Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturer and are there any risks I should be aware of when buying unofficial figures?
  • StupidDinosaur
    StupidDinosaurRegular Boarder • lv6
    Offline2 replies
    6 days ago
    amuletdiamond12 days ago#94841523Hey!
    I came across this unlicensed figure of Asuka when I was scrolling through Taobao: item.taobao.com.... I think she's super pretty! Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturer and are there any risks I should be aware of when buying unofficial figures?

I have heard of them, but I haven't bought anything from them personally. I know them in the expanse that they make unofficial resin statues. So while I can't speak on that manufacturer specifically, I can talk about resin statues though because I own a few.

Personally, I have never bought one through Taobao, and have instead used FNC store (fanatic anime store) and FavorGK because they have great English customer service and good prices. One thing to note for them tho is that the default price you see is the deposit price, and then you need to click "full price" or equivalent to see the whole price. It's set up like this because most people use their payment plans for pre-ordering these figures. FNC store is often cheaper than FavorGK if they sell the same statue, but they often have different stock. These two stores are reliable and will help you if something goes wrong in shipping, which is a risk to consider with resin figures because they are much more fragile than PVC.

And to combat the fragileness, these figures are packed incredibly well in rather big boxes. So shipping can get high depending on how big and how heavy (resin is heavy) the figure you're going for is. But, for example, I got a 1/6 Gon Freecss from FNC store who only ships through China Post, and he cost me $60 to ship and it was for 2-5 week shipping. He got here really fast. He was also a little broken, but FNC store 100% helped me through that and contacted the manufacturer, we all agreed it didn't need to be replaced, helped me fix it, and refunded me money proportional to the break. It looks like new now.

There are a lot of unofficial manufacturers like ASS studio out there, so each one is different, but from my personal experience, the pictures match what you're getting. The most important thing is to order from someone that can actually help you if something goes wrong.

The other thing to consider is their prices. Resin statues usually only make 200-500 pieces per figure but are usually priced extremely reasonably for what you're getting and the scale. For example, the same Gon figure cost me $170 for a 1/6 and he is stunning. There are some like the 1/7 scale Arturia I have pre-ordered that is more than that, but when you look at the figure you can see how it could have easily been way more for what you're getting. BUT because of how limited these are, if you don't get them in the pre-order phase, honestly don't bother trying to buy them after because they resell for insane prices. That Gon I got for $170 already resells for over $600 and he released in December.

The best way to think of resin statues is as an "and" to official figures and not as an "instead of." That way you're still supporting the official releases of everything, and buying this as a collector luxury item.

Let me know if you have any more questions on this!
  • amuletdiamond
    amuletdiamondRegular Boarder • lv6
    Online3 replies
    6 days ago
    StupidDinosaur6 days ago#95062587I have heard of them, but I haven't bought anything from them personally. I know them in the expanse that they make unofficial resin statues. So while I can't speak on that manufacturer specifically, I can talk about resin statues though because I own a few.
    Personally, I have never bought one through Taobao, and have instead used FNC store (fanatic anime store) and FavorGK because they have great English customer service and good prices. One thing to note for them tho is that the default price you see is the deposit price, and then you need to click "full price" or equivalent to see the whole price. It's set up like this because most people use their payment plans for pre-ordering these figures. FNC store is often cheaper than FavorGK if they sell the same statue, but they often have different stock. These two stores are reliable and will help you if something goes wrong in shipping, which is a risk to consider with resin figures because they are much more fragile than PVC.
    And to combat the fragileness, these figures are packed incredibly well in rather big boxes. So shipping can get high depending on how big and how heavy (resin is heavy) the figure you're going for is. But, for example, I got a 1/6 Gon Freecss from FNC store who only ships through China Post, and he cost me $60 to ship and it was for 2-5 week shipping. He got here really fast. He was also a little broken, but FNC store 100% helped me through that and contacted the manufacturer, we all agreed it didn't need to be replaced, helped me fix it, and refunded me money proportional to the break. It looks like new now.
    There are a lot of unofficial manufacturers like ASS studio out there, so each one is different, but from my personal experience, the pictures match what you're getting. The most important thing is to order from someone that can actually help you if something goes wrong.
    The other thing to consider is their prices. Resin statues usually only make 200-500 pieces per figure but are usually priced extremely reasonably for what you're getting and the scale. For example, the same Gon figure cost me $170 for a 1/6 and he is stunning. There are some like the 1/7 scale Arturia I have pre-ordered that is more than that, but when you look at the figure you can see how it could have easily been way more for what you're getting. BUT because of how limited these are, if you don't get them in the pre-order phase, honestly don't bother trying to buy them after because they resell for insane prices. That Gon I got for $170 already resells for over $600 and he released in December.
    The best way to think of resin statues is as an "and" to official figures and not as an "instead of." That way you're still supporting the official releases of everything, and buying this as a collector luxury item.
    Let me know if you have any more questions on this!

thank u for the info!! i was going through some posts on /r/animefigures that were talking about the fragility of resin figures and was a bit put off LOOL do resin figures often break during transit or is it a less common thing?? I'll pre-order her from FNC if I feel comfortable enough after thinking about the purchase for a few days so thank u for the recommendation :)
  • StupidDinosaur
    StupidDinosaurRegular Boarder • lv6
    Offline2 replies
    6 days ago
    amuletdiamond6 days ago#95062619thank u for the info!! i was going through some posts on /r/animefigures that were talking about the fragility of resin figures and was a bit put off LOOL do resin figures often break during transit or is it a less common thing?? I'll pre-order her from FNC if I feel comfortable enough after thinking about the purchase for a few days so thank u for the recommendation :)

I'd also check first to just see if they have her or not. She might be sold out or never released on the sites ie check FavorGK too. You might end up finding something you want more lol.

It's not that it happens a lot, just that it's more of a possibility than regular PVC figures. They do their best to prevent bad things from happening with the intensity that they package their figures going as far as to make custom shipping boxes perfect to the size of the figure box. But things can happen in shipping regardless of their efforts. So it's more just a factor to be aware of, which is why customer support is important.
  • Join the club to join the discussion.
  • 4 replies