Friends club!Anime only?

• CrimsonVelvet
    CrimsonVelvetRegular Boarder • lv7
    Offline25 replies
    21 days ago
    Hi everyone!!

I wanted to ask you, do you only watch anime or are also into reading mangas/visual novels/light novels?

The consensus almost always is that the source material is better/complete, and while its mostly true, the anime has not only the animation (which I don't really care much tbh), but OSTs, visuals, voices and colors. Well done, they can give a whole other experience. Ofc, its pretty hard to do. For example, I love Made in Abyss, and after reading the manga up the point that has been animated, I actually decided to leave it there because I craved for the colors and music. Besides, the music was beautiful.

The promised neverland is an example of the opposite. While first season was fantastic and a masterpiece (still, the manga gives you insights on the characters thoughts, something that changes a lot your perspective and feelings), the second season sucked HAAARD. The manga falls flat after the first arc too, but the next arc, goldy pond, was just really good too, so it was sad to not have it animated.

Same with berserk. While the old animes are considered good, the manga is just in a whole another level.

Ajin too, the brutal fight I was expecting wasn't really animated, and it ended too soon.

Examples of animes that are different than the source material but work could be... Higurashi no naku koro ni. The visual novel feels different, but it works great too, and IMO both should be watched/read.

Steins;gate was another masterpiece when it comes to season 1, but Steins;gate 0 didn't really do justice to its VN (which I liked more than the original by a bit).

Comedy anime also differs by a lot. VAs and directing play a huge factor. If they sound natural, fantastic, if the voices sound forced... hard pass. However, if the VAs and the directing is good, damn, that's why I love Wotakoi and Gekkan shoujo. Same as seitokai no Ichizon.
  • hooshorn
    hooshornRegular Boarder • lv5
    Offline17 replies
    21 days ago
    Personally, I do not read the source materials for the anime that I watch, but that doesn't mean I completely ignore it. I will often look to it if something I watched wasn't really concluded or I wanted more information about something. This could change though, I am not against reading any manga or LN, just haven't gotten into it at this point.
  • LittlePisces
    LittlePiscesRegular Boarder • lv14
    Offline51 replies
    17 days ago • Updated 17 days ago
    I don't consider myself a big reader, but I am considering in reading some manga that had an anime adaptation that I want to see more of. The modern shows I watch usually only have 1 season and unlikely have the chance of getting a second season. Some slice of life anime unfortunately end up on that route. I guess I have niche taste?
  • Acorns0812
    Acorns0812Regular Boarder • lv5
    Offline3 replies
    17 days ago
    I watch/Read anime and manga equally, and I'll read a Light Novel if I feel like I want to see more story or characters.
  • IshikuNanami
    IshikuNanamiRegular Boarder • lv12
    Offline73 replies
    17 days ago
    Honestly, it really just depends. If I enjoy the anime, like Horimiya for example, I won't red the manga/visual novel. If I don't really like the anime, like Tokyo Ghoul, I'll read the manga! Sometime, I'll like an anime to the point I miss it so much I both read and watch. Death Note is a great example of that! And then you have some I only read the manga of because it doesn't have an anime. Though You May Burn To Ash, Time Paradox Ghost Writer, Sakamoto-san are great examples of my favorites!
  • hiphopninja
    hiphopninjaRegular Boarder • lv5
    Offline6 replies
    15 days ago
    I don't read manga but I respect it. When reading, I can only have fun by picking nonfiction/scientific books. Without the animation, VA and music it's really hard for me to really immerse.
    On the other hand I nearly only watch anime. I can't enjoy ~99% of liveaction movies.

So yes, anime only, in both senses. (/^.*)>
  • fgrthiuy
    fgrthiuyRegular Boarder • lv12
    Offline22 replies
    15 days ago
    Hi there club members.

I've always been mostly an anime watcher rather than a consumer of the other related media, it was an anime that got me hooked in the first place, so it's always been at the center of my related interests. Not to say that I don't also read manga, if a specific story interests me enough, or if the anime is looking like it's going to take forever to catch up I'll absolutely take up the written form instead, but it's more of an exception than a rule in my case.

I've also found that as I've aged and got more responsibilities in the real world (ugh, lol), that I've become even a bit more reliant on being able to just watch the anime versions of stories that interest me. Even to the point where I've developed more of a liking for dubs in many cases, as I can casually watch while I get something else done or do a little gaming without missing half of what's happening because I didn't follow the subs close enough... Time feels like such a scarce resource sometimes these days that I really value that ability to multitask my entertainment sources, lol.
  • CrimsonVelvet
    Offline25 replies
    14 days ago
    hooshorn21 days ago#98376526Personally, I do not read the source materials for the anime that I watch, but that doesn't mean I completely ignore it. I will often look to it if something I watched wasn't really concluded or I wanted more information about something. This could change though, I am not against reading any manga or LN, just haven't gotten into it at this point.I see. Its perfectly understandable tbh, source materials normally consume waaay more time, and are like more "hardcore"? I mean, require more compromise than just watch an anime and then forget about it. Any good animes you recommend?
  • CrimsonVelvet
    Offline25 replies
    14 days ago
    fgrthiuy15 days ago#98510639Hi there club members.
    I've always been mostly an anime watcher rather than a consumer of the other related media, it was an anime that got me hooked in the first place, so it's always been at the center of my related interests. Not to say that I don't also read manga, if a specific story interests me enough, or if the anime is looking like it's going to take forever to catch up I'll absolutely take up the written form instead, but it's more of an exception than a rule in my case.
    I've also found that as I've aged and got more responsibilities in the real world (ugh, lol), that I've become even a bit more reliant on being able to just watch the anime versions of stories that interest me. Even to the point where I've developed more of a liking for dubs in many cases, as I can casually watch while I get something else done or do a little gaming without missing half of what's happening because I didn't follow the subs close enough... Time feels like such a scarce resource sometimes these days that I really value that ability to multitask my entertainment sources, lol.
    Thats exactly why my mom and dad arent really into watching subs haha they like to do other stuff while watching. While I agree, I cant really get into it because jp voices are just amazing most of the time. I like how they play with their voces and are almost aways non linear (I mean, normal sentences can have tons of highs, lows and normally I feel more emotion).

Ofc, home office does help when watching stuff I like, but thats mostly why my anime count is quite low lol One thing that played a huge role in me readingmanga or playing VNs was that I ued to read manga on the bus towards my univrsity and play VNs on my vita when I had some leizure time.
  • CrimsonVelvet
    Offline25 replies
    14 days ago
    LittlePisces17 days ago#98423238I don't consider myself a big reader, but I am considering in reading some manga that had an anime adaptation that I want to see more of. The modern shows I watch usually only have 1 season and unlikely have the chance of getting a second season. Some slice of life anime unfortunately end up on that route. I guess I have niche taste?Hmm naa. Most of slice of life normally are baits to lure you into reading the Source M lol so thats why it seems that way. Normally, shonens are the only ones to get the better budget and treatment, except for a few ones of other "genres" that can end in 12 chpts, or are very popular.
  • CrimsonVelvet
    Offline25 replies
    14 days ago
    Acorns081217 days ago#98423564I watch/Read anime and manga equally, and I'll read a Light Novel if I feel like I want to see more story or characters.Nice!! Im planning to read Haruhi LN. Loved the anime and movie. Any you recommend?
  • CrimsonVelvet
    Offline25 replies
    14 days ago
    IshikuNanami17 days ago#98423708Honestly, it really just depends. If I enjoy the anime, like Horimiya for example, I won't red the manga/visual novel. If I don't really like the anime, like Tokyo Ghoul, I'll read the manga! Sometime, I'll like an anime to the point I miss it so much I both read and watch. Death Note is a great example of that! And then you have some I only read the manga of because it doesn't have an anime. Though You May Burn To Ash, Time Paradox Ghost Writer, Sakamoto-san are great examples of my favorites!Hahah that makes sense. In my case I only try to watch stuff that I know I will enjoy, so end up consuming it at its fullest (thats why my anime/manga count is low too).

Hmm havent heard of those before. What are they about? Im about to read The House of Fata Morgana (its being said that its great); Halfway through Higurashi no naku koro ni VN, Umineko is on my list afterwards; and the new version of Doki Doki literature club, I want to see what they added.

I really hope thenext season of made in abyss gets animated soon. I like the coulours more than the manga lol
  • CrimsonVelvet
    Offline25 replies
    14 days ago
    hiphopninja15 days ago#98505916I don't read manga but I respect it. When reading, I can only have fun by picking nonfiction/scientific books. Without the animation, VA and music it's really hard for me to really immerse.
    On the other hand I nearly only watch anime. I can't enjoy ~99% of liveaction movies.
    So yes, anime only, in both senses. (/^.*)>
    Im actually very similar. I love reading, but very few books interest me. I tend to lose my attention pretty quickly too, and get bored easily, something that VNs fixes with OSTs, images, colours and VAs (and I get to read too!!).

Haha liveaction just cant capture the magic. Same why I dont expect anything from the last of us LiveA.
  • hooshorn
    Offline17 replies
    14 days ago
    CrimsonVelvet14 days ago#98565816I see. Its perfectly understandable tbh, source materials normally consume waaay more time, and are like more "hardcore"? I mean, require more compromise than just watch an anime and then forget about it. Any good animes you recommend? What kinds of anime do you like? Can't promise I have anything good since I haven't been watching anime for that long, although I seen a lot in the time I have.
  • CrimsonVelvet
    Offline25 replies
    14 days ago
    hooshorn14 days ago#98566210What kinds of anime do you like? Can't promise I have anything good since I haven't been watching anime for that long, although I seen a lot in the time I have.haha np, just shot me those you liked the most.

Note: it was "commitment" , not "compromise" in my last message lol
  • hooshorn
    Offline17 replies
    14 days ago
    CrimsonVelvet14 days ago#98566221haha np, just shot me those you liked the most.
    Note: it was "commitment" , not "compromise" in my last message lol
    Some of my favorites are Konosuba, Darling in the Franxx, Wonder Egg Priority, Rising of the Shield hero, Date a live, Cowboy Bebop, Bunny girl senpai, Golden time, Plastic memories, clannad, spice and wolf, chobits, beyond the boundary, gabriel dropout, dragon maid, journey of elaina and my all time favorite is Toradora. hopefully there is something in there for you. Also if you have any recommendations i will literally watch anything :)
  • CrimsonVelvet
    Offline25 replies
    14 days ago • Updated 14 days ago
    hooshorn14 days ago#98566225Some of my favorites are Konosuba, Darling in the Franxx, Wonder Egg Priority, Rising of the Shield hero, Date a live, Cowboy Bebop, Bunny girl senpai, Golden time, Plastic memories, clannad, spice and wolf, chobits, beyond the boundary, gabriel dropout, dragon maid, journey of elaina and my all time favorite is Toradora. hopefully there is something in there for you. Also if you have any recommendations i will literally watch anything :)heeey many of those are already in my watch list. Great to see you recommending them, makes me hyped (the only one of those that I have already seen is cowboy bebop, so I'm in for a ride).

I will probably watch Spice and wolf first, I was eager to watch it since a long time ago.

Hmm judging by those, here I go:

Slice of life/highschool: Haruhi Suzumiya (anime and movie, avoid the endless eight lol)
    Yamada kun seven nin no majo

You like chill stuff? Seems like it. You will probably like Mushishi. I loved season 1. I'm still watching the first chapters of season 2, I'm not liking it too much so far, but the first one was just a complete delight. 100% worth it.

Want to see something cringe af but perhaps relatable up to some degree? Watamote.

I liked bang dream anime. There are 3 seasons so far and 2 movies that are just coming out.

Gekkan shoujo nozaki kun is funny and charming.

Want to see a marvelous adventure, with an outstanding ost, worldbuilding but +18 because of how crude it is? Made in abyss season 1 and its movie: dawn of the deep soul. Masterpiece, but not for the faint of heart (I hope season 2 will come out soon, "sadly" , we still need a few more years until it finishes).

Steins;Gate if you want some sci fi and feels.

Akame ga kill if you like action. People like the Manga waaay more, but I liked the anime enough to recommend it, flawed as it is.

High rise invasion is worth a watch too. It's not a masterpiece by any means. If anything, tons of people prob dislike it lol but it was fun, a lot of fun. I liked the op and Ed, and Mayuko is def the best girl. Sniper mask is cool af too. Not finished, but worth a watch if you want to turn off your brain and enjoy some action.

Dorohedoro if you don't feel nauseated by gore, and like great characters. Still, only 1 season, sadly. Hope we get more.

Finally, try kakegurui. Excellent animation and art. The whole "student council has more power than the government" trope is very present and something I generally dislike due to ruining my suspense of disbelief, but the anime is pretty well done. Excellent ost, incluiding it's op and Ed.
  • hooshorn
    Offline17 replies
    14 days ago
    CrimsonVelvet14 days ago#98566295heeey many of those are already in my watch list. Great to see you recommending them, makes me hyped (the only one of those that I have already seen is cowboy bebop, so I'm in for a ride).
    I will probably watch Spice and wolf first, I was eager to watch it since a long time ago.
    Hmm judging by those, here I go:
    Slice of life/highschool: Haruhi Suzumiya (anime and movie, avoid the endless eight lol)
    Yamada kun seven nin no majo
    You like chill stuff? Seems like it. You will probably like Mushishi. I loved season 1. I'm still watching the first chapters of season 2, I'm not liking it too much so far, but the first one was just a complete delight. 100% worth it.
    Want to see something cringe af but perhaps relatable up to some degree? Watamote.
    I liked bang dream anime. There are 3 seasons so far and 2 movies that are just coming out.
    Gekkan shoujo nozaki kun is funny and charming.
    Want to see a marvelous adventure, with an outstanding ost, worldbuilding but +18 because of how crude it is? Made in abyss season 1 and its movie: dawn of the deep soul. Masterpiece, but not for the faint of heart (I hope season 2 will come out soon, "sadly" , we still need a few more years until it finishes).
    Steins;Gate if you want some sci fi and feels.
    Akame ga kill if you like action. People like the Manga waaay more, but I liked the anime enough to recommend it, flawed as it is.
    High rise invasion is worth a watch too. It's not a masterpiece by any means. If anything, tons of people prob dislike it lol but it was fun, a lot of fun. I liked the op and Ed, and Mayuko is def the best girl. Sniper mask is cool af too. Not finished, but worth a watch if you want to turn off your brain and enjoy some action.
    Dorohedoro if you don't feel nauseated by gore, and like great characters. Still, only 1 season, sadly. Hope we get more.
    Finally, try kakegurui. Excellent animation and art. The whole "student council has more power than the government" trope is very present and something I generally dislike due to ruining my suspense of disbelief, but the anime is pretty well done. Excellent ost, incluiding it's op and Ed.
    Oh wow I have only seen a couple of those, I will add all of those to my watch list, thanks for the recommendations! Most of what I gave you was some romance, but there are some exceptions. (Also Akame ga kill was great, the pacing made it impossible to be bored while watching! and Watamote was hard to get thru lol... mega cringe but funny lol)
  • CrimsonVelvet
    Offline25 replies
    13 days ago
    hooshorn14 days ago#98566298Oh wow I have only seen a couple of those, I will add all of those to my watch list, thanks for the recommendations! Most of what I gave you was some romance, but there are some exceptions. (Also Akame ga kill was great, the pacing made it impossible to be bored while watching! and Watamote was hard to get thru lol... mega cringe but funny lol)sure!! Thanks to you too. If anything, I would love to know what you think of them after you finish them. Perhaps start a thread later on? Haha yup, I have a general idea of almost all of those you mentioned, but I have never seen them before but C bbp. Have fun!!!
  • vivafaby
    vivafabyChocola's WifeRegular Boarder • lv10
    Offline8 replies
    13 days ago
    CrimsonVelvet21 days ago#98376112Hi everyone!!
    I wanted to ask you, do you only watch anime or are also into reading mangas/visual novels/light novels?
    The consensus almost always is that the source material is better/complete, and while its mostly true, the anime has not only the animation (which I don't really care much tbh), but OSTs, visuals, voices and colors. Well done, they can give a whole other experience. Ofc, its pretty hard to do. For example, I love Made in Abyss, and after reading the manga up the point that has been animated, I actually decided to leave it there because I craved for the colors and music. Besides, the music was beautiful.
    The promised neverland is an example of the opposite. While first season was fantastic and a masterpiece (still, the manga gives you insights on the characters thoughts, something that changes a lot your perspective and feelings), the second season sucked HAAARD. The manga falls flat after the first arc too, but the next arc, goldy pond, was just really good too, so it was sad to not have it animated.
    Same with berserk. While the old animes are considered good, the manga is just in a whole another level.
    Ajin too, the brutal fight I was expecting wasn't really animated, and it ended too soon.
    Examples of animes that are different than the source material but work could be... Higurashi no naku koro ni. The visual novel feels different, but it works great too, and IMO both should be watched/read.
    Steins;gate was another masterpiece when it comes to season 1, but Steins;gate 0 didn't really do justice to its VN (which I liked more than the original by a bit).
    Comedy anime also differs by a lot. VAs and directing play a huge factor. If they sound natural, fantastic, if the voices sound forced... hard pass. However, if the VAs and the directing is good, damn, that's why I love Wotakoi and Gekkan shoujo. Same as seitokai no Ichizon.
    I am very into light novels/manga, and sometimes I find series without an anime adaptation yet, and it makes me very excited to see a new series without an anime, because it makes me feel like like I am in the early stages of a mangaka's work. Some manga I read before the official anime includes, Gleipnir, Miss Nagatoro and Chainsaw Man. As well, I read mangas of series I watch and use the manga to catch up with the anime. To me, I feel like the manga gives more hidden detail and insight of the character development and settings, but it is very different with each series. ^^
  • Join the club to join the discussion.
  • 29 replies