MFCrecieved a figure which was not like it was described?

• Jayceeyej
    JayceeyejRegular Boarder • lv9
    Offline16 replies
    14 days ago • Updated 14 days ago
    Hey. First time posting here. Recently i had bought a figure here from a user that sold it to me. It was described as ’like new’. The transaction was done through paypal with the buyer safety option thing. However, when the figure got here the hair had chipped paint and the base was scratched. I tried contacting the seller but they have not replied for around 2 days give or take a few hours. At this point, what do i do? As kind as they were, i still recieved an item that was not ’like new’. I dont wanna hurt this seller by any means, but i would like my money back. I just dont know how to go about it. Thanks.
  • ProbablyANinja
    ProbablyANinjaRegular Boarder • lv11
    Offline45 replies
    14 days ago
    You typically have 180 days from the transaction to take out a Paypal claim, I believe. That should give you plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. Just note, if you do take out a claim, once you close a claim for a transaction, you can never reopen it. So make sure you've gotten it 100% resolved before that.

But...I would try to get in contact with them first to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Check their MFC profile. Unless they've disabled the option, it should say when the last time they were online was. Granted, that doesn't guarantee they checked their messages. Give them a few more days to respond. Maybe send them another email to ask if they saw your message. Be sure to be courteous and not accusing!

Check the comments on their profile. What are people saying?

Pretty sure there's a buyers/sellers club of some sort on here where people can give feedback. Can't remember the name of it though, but you could also search for their username there.

Also, was the box already opened when you got it? If so, I definitely wouldn't consider that "new."
  • Neep
    NeepRegular Boarder • lv7
    Offline9 replies
    14 days ago
    Ninja has said pretty much everything that can be said. Would like to add on that even if they have the last online disabled you can see when they were online through their ads.

ProbablyANinja14 days ago#98566092You typically have 180 days from the transaction to take out a Paypal claim, I believe. That should give you plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. Just note, if you do take out a claim, once you close a claim for a transaction, you can never reopen it. So make sure you've gotten it 100% resolved before that.
    But...I would try to get in contact with them first to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Check their MFC profile. Unless they've disabled the option, it should say when the last time they were online was. Granted, that doesn't guarantee they checked their messages. Give them a few more days to respond. Maybe send them another email to ask if they saw your message. Be sure to be courteous and not accusing!
    Check the comments on their profile. What are people saying?
    Pretty sure there's a buyers/sellers club of some sort on here where people can give feedback. Can't remember the name of it though, but you could also search for their username there.
    Also, was the box already opened when you got it? If so, I definitely wouldn't consider that "new."
  • Jayceeyej
    Offline16 replies
    13 days ago
    Thanks, i did end up getting in contact with them. I sent photos back and now im waiting for the next course of action. Just hoping they will refund me :(
  • Jayceeyej
    Offline16 replies
    13 days ago • Updated 13 days ago
    Update: seller sends back images they took before they shipped the figure to me. And i immedietly notice the scratch on the base and point it out, but they said my scratch was bigger.
    Either way, the scratch is there, so the item was not like new on the photos they sent me.
    The base is see through acrylic so putting it on a white surface made the scratches not very visible on their photos.
    I also own a white table so i only noticed it when i picked her up and she was on my grey floor.
    The seller also does not show the top of the head in the images they sent me, which i assume was just something they forgot to take a picture of or just didnt really feel the need to.
    They are telling me the item may have been damaged during shipping, but isnt it the sellers responsibility to package the figure well even if it was damaged during shipping?
    They didnt really put any protection on the figure itself, some plastic on the figure, the inner plastic that holds everything together and the outer box with bubblewrap. But there is no way that protection with plastic can even allow a scrath like that to happen..?
    What do i do now…?
    It seems like they are not allowing me a refund here. I really do not want to open a paypal dispute, but if they still refuse even after sending me an image of a DAMAGED base for an item that was described as LIKE NEW, then i guess i will have to.

They are agreeing that the scratch is there before shipping but they dont want to refund me because the figure appears to be more damaged when it arrived to me. This is not true, i simply used my phone flashlight to check for damages on the base which the naked eye can not see and i immedietly noticed even more scratches :/. Can someone please let me in on how to solve this?
  • hiphopninja
    hiphopninjaRegular Boarder • lv5
    Offline6 replies
    13 days ago • Updated 11 days ago
    You're being scammed. Open a case on PayPal and do not close it by yourself under any circumstances, in that case you can't open a new one. Describe the problem, upload screenshots of the chat. The seller already said the scratch was there before, while having sold the figure as near mint - you're in the right here, do not let him fool you.

In the 2nd or 3rd stage of the paypal case, you'll probably be asked to ship it back. It's important that you send it back with tracking enabled, otherwise you've lost right there.

You should have your money back in a 2-3 weeks.

Even if the person didn't have the broken parts before, it's the sellers responsibility to upholster the goods.

Only if the seller upholstered the goods enough and it still broke >while< shipping, the sellers doesn't have to take it back.
  • Jayceeyej
    Offline16 replies
    13 days ago
    hiphopninja13 days ago#98613861You're being scammed. Open a case on PayPal and do not close it by yourself under any circumstances, in that case you can't open a new one. Describe the problem, upload screenshots of the chat. The seller already said the scratch was there before, while having sold the figure as near mint - you're in the right here, do not let him fool you.
    In the 2nd or 3rd stage of the paypal case, you'll probably be asked to ship it back. It's important that you send it back with tracking enabled, otherwise you've lost right there.
    Even if the person didn't have the broken parts before, it's the sellers responsibility to upholster the goods.
    Only the person upholstered the goods enough and it still broke >while< shipping, the sellers doesn't have to take it back.

Thank you. I opened a paypal dispute and paypal is now taking care of it. I explained everything and uploaded all the logs and photos. It baffles me how this person sent me images of the figure WITH a scratched base as PROOF that it was not broken. I immedietly pointed it out and they still refused a refund because mine somehow looked worse to them. They still scammed me and said themselves ’ok i admit there are scratches or two but yours looks worse’. It still means u sold me a BROKEN figure. THAT is no way a mint condition figure.
  • Jayceeyej
    Offline16 replies
    5 days ago
    Update: paypal has contacted the seller and is now waiting for a reply. I feel like the seller has been ignoring me and paypal these past 2 weeks, havent heard anything from them. If the seller refuses to reply to paypal, is everything doomed..? I noticed even more damage on the figure while i was waiting for an answer.
    The figure has a dot under the eyebrow and a dot on her hand. The faceplate is marked with black under the bangs too. All of these issues could be seen in the sellers ’proof’ photos aswell… it really sucks. I dont think ill get my money back at all.
  • Doroshi
    DoroshiRegular Boarder • lv10
    Offline1 reply
    5 days ago
    Jayceeyej5 days ago#98982056Update: paypal has contacted the seller and is now waiting for a reply. I feel like the seller has been ignoring me and paypal these past 2 weeks, havent heard anything from them. If the seller refuses to reply to paypal, is everything doomed..? I noticed even more damage on the figure while i was waiting for an answer.
    The figure has a dot under the eyebrow and a dot on her hand. The faceplate is marked with black under the bangs too. All of these issues could be seen in the sellers ’proof’ photos aswell… it really sucks. I dont think ill get my money back at all.
    If the seller doesn't answer paypal after a certain amount of days, you automatically win the case. Although you will probably still be asked to send the figure back for the refund. Not sure if Paypal would just process the refund without you having to send the figure back (I could be mistaken). In any case, like mentioned before, make sure you do use trackable shipping if you do have to send it back!
  • Jayceeyej
    Offline16 replies
    5 days ago
    Doroshi5 days ago#98982076If the seller doesn't answer paypal after a certain amount of days, you automatically win the case. Although you will probably still be asked to send the figure back for the refund. Not sure if Paypal would just process the refund without you having to send the figure back (I could be mistaken). In any case, like mentioned before, make sure you do use trackable shipping if you do have to send it back!
    Oh thank you, that makes me less worried then. Ill be sure to send it trackable 100%.
  • Kimhuat_00
    Kimhuat_00Nezuko wo mamoritai~!!!Regular Boarder • lv13
    Offline3 replies
    5 days ago • Updated 5 days ago
    hiphopninja13 days ago#98613861You're being scammed. Open a case on PayPal and do not close it by yourself under any circumstances, in that case you can't open a new one. Describe the problem, upload screenshots of the chat. The seller already said the scratch was there before, while having sold the figure as near mint - you're in the right here, do not let him fool you.
    Only if the seller upholstered the goods enough and it still broke >while< shipping, the sellers doesn't have to take it back.

I am afraid I have to correct this, even if seller did best to protect/secure package, but damage occurs during transit, Paypal will still close to buyer's advantage, but like you mentioned, buyer needs to ship back with tracking, and money to be refunded back to buyer thereafter. PS : I am the Seller in perspective as I shared here, and I have done due diligence in packing and securing, still damages somehow occurred during transit, I have sent all the evidences and photos to Paypal as Seller, and case was still closed against me and I was forced to take back the item (now broken and incurred shipping and paypal fees and exchange losses), even after I appealed, it was still rejected. So for the original poster as buyer, there is very high chance he/she will win the Paypal case.
  • hiphopninja
    hiphopninjaRegular Boarder • lv5
    Offline6 replies
    17 hours ago
    Kimhuat_005 days ago#98991415I am afraid I have to correct this, even if seller did best to protect/secure package, but damage occurs during transit, Paypal will still close to buyer's advantage, but like you mentioned, buyer needs to ship back with tracking, and money to be refunded back to buyer thereafter. PS : I am the Seller in perspective as I shared here, and I have done due diligence in packing and securing, still damages somehow occurred during transit, I have sent all the evidences and photos to Paypal as Seller, and case was still closed against me and I was forced to take back the item (now broken and incurred shipping and paypal fees and exchange losses), even after I appealed, it was still rejected. So for the original poster as buyer, there is very high chance he/she will win the Paypal case.

Oh yeah, PayPal usually protects the buyer over the seller, what I was referring to was the law as it is in germany for example. But obviously nowadays terms and conditions of big corpos seem to dominate the law.
  • Join the club to join the discussion.
  • 12 replies