Tales of Fan ClubTales of Phantasia

• Taralen
    TaralenElf HoarderRegular Boarder • lv25
    Offline293 replies
    8 years ago
    I'm currently trying to play the GBA version. Hopefully it's not too different from the SNES one?
    Taralen
  • Take
    TakeVirile Insatiable BeastVery Important Boarder • lv25
    Offline370 replies
    6 years ago • Updated 6 years ago
    I started the GBA version something like 2 weeks ago. I have only played it once until now, though. Is it possible to change the character you are controlling in battle? And the on-screen character?

About the beginning of the game:
    View spoilerHide spoilerThat was a sad and messy beginning lol. I mean, if you're up to make an entire village AND protagonists' families died, at least make the party have some kind of reactions lol. Otherwise it's kinda lame, I have to say. Same thing for Mint's mother.

It seems to have plenty of side-quests and hidden things though, since I've already completed 2 in 15 minutes of game. I very much like this.
    Random encounters are a pain, as I was expecting. I'm not very resistant towards that particular aspect of retro-gaming, especially when the battle system is old-fashionned too. I hope this won't kill the game for me, even though I doubt it will, I mean come on, this game is the mother of all Tales of games, no way I'm dropping that.
  • WindsorSeven
    WindsorSevenSHSL VegoneVery Important Boarder • lv34
    Offline2,089 replies
    Take6 years ago#2090487I started the GBA version something like 2 weeks ago. I have only played it once until now, though. Is it possible to change the character you are controlling in battle? And the on-screen character?

View spoilerHide spoilerThat was a sad and messy beginning lol. I mean, if you're up to make an entire village AND protagonists' families died, at least make the party have some kind of reactions lol. Otherwise it's kinda lame, I have to say. Same thing for Mint's mother.

It seems to have plenty of side-quests and hidden things though, since I've already completed 2 in 15 minutes of game. I very much like this.
    Random encounters are a pain, as I was expecting. I'm not very resistant towards that particular aspect of retro-gaming, especially when the battle system is old-fashionned too. I hope this won't kill the game for me, even though I doubt it will, I mean come on, this game is the mother of all Tales of games, no way I'm dropping that.

Way to revive a 2 year old thread :p Though I guess it was never really living..
    I'm glad you started Phantasia! I haven't played for a while, so I'm sure you will eventually be farther than I am lol. I don't think it's possible to change either of those, though during battle you can tell the other members to do things, if that helps.
    Yeah, in the beginning they should have mourned more, but can you tell me a Tales game where people actually react in a normal way to things lol?
    View spoilerHide spoilerMint doesn't know her mom is dead yet. Remember Cress didn't tell her?
    What bothers me more than the random encounters is the fact that holy bottles don't keep everything away. It just lowers the encounter rate slightly. However, the game is pretty easy, so it's not too much trouble to fight everything that comes your way. In fact I think this might be the easiest Tales game I've played - I was able to beat a boss even though Cress and Mint had turned to stone!
    https://s33.postimg.cc/glsls0fy7/image.png
  • Take
    Offline370 replies
    WindsorSeven6 years ago#2090512Take6 years ago#2090487I started the GBA version something like 2 weeks ago. I have only played it once until now, though. Is it possible to change the character you are controlling in battle? And the on-screen character?

Way to revive a 2 year old thread :p Though I guess it was never really living..
    I'm glad you started Phantasia! I haven't played for a while, so I'm sure you will eventually be farther than I am lol. I don't think it's possible to change either of those, though during battle you can tell the other members to do things, if that helps.
    Yeah, in the beginning they should have mourned more, but can you tell me a Tales game where people actually react in a normal way to things lol?
    View spoilerHide spoilerMint doesn't know her mom is dead yet. Remember Cress didn't tell her?
    What bothers me more than the random encounters is the fact that holy bottles don't keep everything away. It just lowers the encounter rate slightly. However, the game is pretty easy, so it's not too much trouble to fight everything that comes your way. In fact I think this might be the easiest Tales game I've played - I was able to beat a boss even though Cress and Mint had turned to stone!

Whait, what?! No no no, there is NO way I'm playing through the entire game with Cress. I never use pure-physical fighters in Tales game. What I'm gonna do lol? Also, I was kinda dying to fly around on that brush with Arche...
    So you're basically telling me now that there is finally a character who can summon as much as he wants not depending on silly conditions I won't be able to use him? Man, this is really annoying. On the bright side, I suppose it will allow me to become a better fighter in Tales game since not controlling a physical fighter used to prevent me from solo-ing bosses like everyone seems to do on youtube lol.
    Actually, I believe the characters' reactions in Tales of Graces f were pretty spot-on. That's one of the reasons I give so much credits to this game despite his overall storyline being quite lame compared to other games in the serie.
    View spoilerHide spoilerYou mean that she didn't understand her mother actually died? Is this what you assumed or is it proved later in game by her being surprised or whatever? I was convinced from what I saw that she had understood our mother was dead but that Cress was being kind enough to spare her from the traumatic view. If she haven't, she is a quite stupid character, I mean why wouldn't Cress let her see her mother otherwise? If she really thought her mother was alive, she could have at least insisted that they take her with them lol
    Oh yeah holy bottles! I forgot about them. Too bad they are not really working. Maybe I'll simply get used to the encounters, as I did with Eternia. Then again, I was able to control Meredy whose fighting style I absolutely love. The graphical effects for magic in Eternia were absolutely stunning too, probably the best of the whole franchise if you take Eternia's age into consideration.
    For some reasons, I laughed way more than I should have on your victory while being petrified. Trying to imagine the whole scene makes me giggle. Does that mean you were actually doing nothing? lol since you are forced to control Cress...
  • WindsorSeven
    WindsorSevenSHSL VegoneVery Important Boarder • lv34
    Offline2,089 replies
    6 years ago
    Take6 years ago#2090666

What are you going to do? Well play a Tales game with only a fighter for the first time, hehehe. You should really look it up though. I'm just assuming you can't change characters based on the fact that I can't figure out a way to do it. If you could change however, I'd be Claus. I gave him a Mystic Symbol and now he wipes out all the enemies before I have a chance to hit them more than twice. Seriously, he's overpowered!
    If it makes you feel any better I usually play as a fighter (until the mage gets strong anyway) and I've never solo'd a boss.
    View spoilerHide spoilerI haven't gotten to a point where she knows her mother is dead for sure. When Cress found her she thought her mother was still alive ("I'm sure I heard my mother's voice!") and Cress doesn't tell her otherwise; he only says that there's no one ever there. He never says "Your mom is hanging off the wall impaled with a sword!" because he doesn't feel it necessary to tell her at that point.
    Eternia has random encounters as well? Aahhhh.
    Lol I was doing something! I was telling Claus to spam Luna and Arche to keep feeding him apple gels. She can't cast fast enough to do anything :/
    By the way, how far are you?
    https://s33.postimg.cc/glsls0fy7/image.png
  • Take
    Offline370 replies
    6 years ago
    WindsorSeven6 years ago#2091410Take6 years ago#2090666

What are you going to do? Well play a Tales game with only a fighter for the first time, hehehe. You should really look it up though. I'm just assuming you can't change characters based on the fact that I can't figure out a way to do it. If you could change however, I'd be Claus. I gave him a Mystic Symbol and now he wipes out all the enemies before I have a chance to hit them more than twice. Seriously, he's overpowered!
    If it makes you feel any better I usually play as a fighter (until the mage gets strong anyway) and I've never solo'd a boss.
    View spoilerHide spoilerI haven't gotten to a point where she knows her mother is dead for sure. When Cress found her she thought her mother was still alive ("I'm sure I heard my mother's voice!") and Cress doesn't tell her otherwise; he only says that there's no one ever there. He never says "Your mom is hanging off the wall impaled with a sword!" because he doesn't feel it necessary to tell her at that point.
    Eternia has random encounters as well? Aahhhh.
    Lol I was doing something! I was telling Claus to spam Luna and Arche to keep feeding him apple gels. She can't cast fast enough to do anything :/
    By the way, how far are you?

Okay, so I have just done some research. You are forced to use Cress in Tales of Phantasia... ORIGINAL SNES VERSION! Thank god this port is not as lazy as TOS Chronicles and actually tried to enhance the original game! It's a total mystery how you perform such a deed, though. Even finding this piece of information was laborious, Tales of Phantasia really is an OLD game after all. However this info seems to be totally legit'.
    Yep, there are random encounters in Eternia but they are not too ubiquitous so overall is not that much of a pain. Running away can be a real pain though, it's not as simple as in recent installments.
    Did you know that Tales of Symphonia was actually the sequel (or prequel, I can't seem to remember) of Tales of Phantasia? The timing for playing this is thus quite good.
    I stopped playing just after escaping with Mint, I believe. I vaguely remember meeting someone who seems like he belongs to the original party that fought Dhaos in the opening sequence. Chester was there too. Something along these lines lol.
  • Cloudedmind
    CloudedmindRegular Boarder • lv20
    Offline129 replies
    6 years ago
    It's been such a long time since I've played this game, I honestly can't say either way. Another game I need to dust off and replay.
  • Join the club to join the discussion.
  • 7 replies