23 replies

• 23 replies
  • DemiSoulsRegular Boarder
    DemiSouls
    • No
    • 7 years ago
    • Canada
    6 years ago
    Just curious, how do you light up your DETOLF cabinets? There's the DIODER light strips, but it always seems like there's not enough light..

It does economically help me though when I put the DETOLF cabinets next to each other and they share the light haha.
    Buy then regret or regret not buying?
  • skytoastRegular Boarder
    skytoast
    • No
    • 8 years ago
    • Oregon, USA
    6 years ago
    DemiSouls (6 years ago)Just curious, how do you light up your DETOLF cabinets? There's the DIODER light strips, but it always seems like there's not enough light..

It does economically help me though when I put the DETOLF cabinets next to each other and they share the light haha.

I use the circular Dioder multipurpose LED lights and cost about the same as the strips. www.ikea.com/us... I think they do a better job in lighting than the strips. They come bundled in a pack of 4 lights that branch off from a single hub. There is plenty of cord/line so much so that even if you light every shelf in the detolf, you'll still end up with a lot of slack which you'll have to bundle up and hide. The lights come with self adhesive strip on the back and they do the job pretty well since each light is featherweight. There's also holes for small screws which obviously wont work with the glass shelves but can only be used for the top wooden piece of the cabinet.
    As for cable mangement, I just have them run up one corner of the Detolf and just zip tie them securely up to the top.

I seen some people use halogen lights but I would stay away from them since they generate a lot of heat, which could damage your figures, greatly increase the chance of deformation and/or leaning or worse case melt your figures entirely.
  • ikwongRegular Boarder
    ikwong
    • No
    • 7 years ago
    • Philippines
    6 years ago
    Similar to skytoast. I found a person who had a set-up post his pictures online. I just tried that set-up out and worked really well. :)
  • MsNixRegular Boarder
    MsNix
    • No
    • 8 years ago
    • Melbourne, Australia
    6 years ago
    I use the above as well :D
  • LadyStarstormRegular Boarder
    LadyStarstorm
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Boston, MA - USA
    5 years ago
    Hi guys, is anyone around this community anymore? I recently got my first Detolf, and haven't gotten to lighting it yet. Reading comments elsewhere, it seems that Ikea may have switched their LED manufacturer so that the one they call "white" is actually more of a warm-white/yellow toned light than a cool-light/blue toned one, which I'm not sure I'm down with because I want the colors of my figures to look as true as possible! Can anyone confirm or deny this, or share alternatives to the LEDs Ikea sells? I'm also undecided between something like the round dioders versus the LED strips... I feel like strips would offer more even dispersion of light throughout each shelf. But you folks who've posted here all favor the rounds? Do you find the corners of your case seem dimmer than the middle with them, or does it offer plenty of light radius? Thanks so much!!
  • KattoSHSL Magical GirlSuper High School Level
    Katto
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Melbourne, Australia
    5 years ago
    With the IKEA LEDs, they lowered the Kelvin rating to 2700 Kelvin, so all their lights are Warm White. There is the multi-colour Dioder LEDs at IKEA that might have a cool white setting, but it won't be true Cool White since it's still 2700 Kelvin.

What I've been in the process of doing is wiring up a custom strip LED set with Cool White LEDs to get the tone I want, so if you're electronics-savvy or know someone who is, that might be worth researching :)

Unfortunately I can't give any advice with the Dioders though since I'm only keen on strip lighting, so I haven't done any research on those :D
    http://media.tumblr.com/7d601def965bf263c09d71a0ba08d16d/tumblr_inline_mppd2cfU0k1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/b9718baf802c5b0076333e0afc31214c/tumblr_inline_mppd2g9rzN1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/f977dc76a89e38ec46ad536f56a43b94/tumblr_inline_mppdqnZXNe1s0iq8v.gif
    Welcome to Despair~
    skytoast
    • No
    • 8 years ago
    • Oregon, USA
    5 years ago
    I guess it's always a matter of personal taste and/or function. For me, I prefer warmer lighting in general for most living areas around the house. Cooler lighting seems more industrial and task oriented so its fit for places like a workspace. However, I found cool lighting to accent things like shelves and display cases can work fine in the presence of ambient warmer lights for a room. Even with photography, I use both warm and cool lights.

As far as shape is concerned, I like the round Dioders better. The strips, IMO, look too much like Christmas lights. This again, is a matter of taste. With the circular Dioders, there may be a little bit of fall off at the edges but having four lights, one on each of the shelves, should provide enough illumination to see everything. Shadows, like negative space, could also work to your advantage. I would imagine with most setups, all your lights are going to be coming from the top. Where you place your source of light (above, below, left, right, etc) could be another consideration on how you want to go about illuminating your figures.
  • LadyStarstormRegular Boarder
    LadyStarstorm
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Boston, MA - USA
    5 years ago
    Katto - I'm unfortunately not very electronics-savvy, at least not to the extent that I'd feel comfortable rigging up a custom-wired lighting system, so I think that's out, sadly. I found a site that outlined the process and it just seemed a bit out of range beyond my skills!

Skytoast - Pretty much my whole apartment is lit with warm lighting, so I guess I felt that cooler lighting for the cabinet would make a nice eye-catching contrast, as well as doing the colors of the figures more justice, but you've got me wondering how necessary it is after all. With dioders versus strips, part of my thinking was that the strips would be a bit more out-of-the-way since they'd be on the sides? But again, looking at my shelf... not sure that's a thing I should bother concerning myself over at this point in time. Did you use the Dioders from IKEA? Are the cords long enough to reach all the shelves?

Thanks both for your advice!
    skytoast
    • No
    • 8 years ago
    • Oregon, USA
    5 years ago
    I used dioder from Ikea. The cords can reach all your shelves and then some. Infact they're really long and you'll have to bundle the remaining slack and hide them somewhere.
  • MetalGearSoraRegular Boarder
    MetalGearSora
    • No
    • 5 years ago
    • Ontario, Canada
    5 years ago
    skytoast (5 years ago) #1456829I used dioder from Ikea. The cords can reach all your shelves and then some. Infact they're really long and you'll have to bundle the remaining slack and hide them somewhere.

When you say dioder are you referring to the pucks or strips? I'm looking to get my first detolf soon but I'm also unsure if I should go with pucks or strips (or even wireless puck lights for that matter).

Are the wired lights difficult to install? Also, how well to they stay attached to the cabinet and how do you secure them?
    Katto
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Melbourne, Australia
    5 years ago
    MetalGearSora (5 years ago) #1636170skytoast (5 years ago) #1456829I used dioder from Ikea. The cords can reach all your shelves and then some. Infact they're really long and you'll have to bundle the remaining slack and hide them somewhere.

When you say dioder are you referring to the pucks or strips? I'm looking to get my first detolf soon but I'm also unsure if I should go with pucks or strips (or even wireless puck lights for that matter).

Are the wired lights difficult to install? Also, how well to they stay attached to the cabinet and how do you secure them?
    I've personally used the strips. I've connected them to my cabinet with blutac and I had to put a lot of effort into how to wire them in the cabinet since the wires weren't long enough to go from the top to reach the bottom. It wasn't hard to do, however, when it came to wiring them.

I think in the end it's all dependent on what you like best; I prefer the look of strip lighting, but pucks aren't bad either.
    http://media.tumblr.com/7d601def965bf263c09d71a0ba08d16d/tumblr_inline_mppd2cfU0k1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/b9718baf802c5b0076333e0afc31214c/tumblr_inline_mppd2g9rzN1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/f977dc76a89e38ec46ad536f56a43b94/tumblr_inline_mppdqnZXNe1s0iq8v.gif
    Welcome to Despair~
    MetalGearSora
    • No
    • 5 years ago
    • Ontario, Canada
    5 years ago
    Katto (5 years ago) #1636797MetalGearSora (5 years ago) #1636170skytoast (5 years ago) #1456829I used dioder from Ikea. The cords can reach all your shelves and then some. Infact they're really long and you'll have to bundle the remaining slack and hide them somewhere.

I've personally used the strips. I've connected them to my cabinet with blutac and I had to put a lot of effort into how to wire them in the cabinet since the wires weren't long enough to go from the top to reach the bottom. It wasn't hard to do, however, when it came to wiring them.

I think in the end it's all dependent on what you like best; I prefer the look of strip lighting, but pucks aren't bad either.

What about light distribution? The strips seem to give off more light than the pucks do but I think I like the look of the pucks better. How many strips would be needed to get a display properly lit? In this video: www.youtube.com... the guy has two sets of strips placed in a "L" shape and it looks as if his display is very well lit. Would one strip suffice or even one puck per shelf; or is a set up like this better?

Also how well does blutac hold the lights up? Is there a more secure way of placing the lights? The last thing I'd want would be to have the lights fall down and damage my figures.

Thanks for any advice! :D
    Katto
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Melbourne, Australia
    5 years ago
    MetalGearSora (5 years ago) #1666216What about light distribution? The strips seem to give off more light than the pucks do but I think I like the look of the pucks better. How many strips would be needed to get a display properly lit? In this video: www.youtube.com... the guy has two sets of strips placed in a "L" shape and it looks as if his display is very well lit. Would one strip suffice or even one puck per shelf; or is a set up like this better?

Also how well does blutac hold the lights up? Is there a more secure way of placing the lights? The last thing I'd want would be to have the lights fall down and damage my figures.

I have a photo of my lighting here for a visual representation: picture/725827&...
    The photo was taken in complete darkness at about 10pm, so all the light being emanated is from the strips.

As for how many lights are needed, it's usually better with one strip per shelf. So 16 lights (4 sets of strip Dioders). Though that's because I have every shelf pretty full, so the light doesn't travel over the two shelves. I know some people who have a strip every two shelves, but I didn't like the amount of light that was in the cabinets that way.

If you use new blutac, it will hold very well. They give you some stick-tabs in the set, but I found they didn't hold very well for me. The strips are very light and if you wire them right and nice and tight around the frame, even if they fall, they won't damage your figures. I've had a couple fall myself (because I used old blutac) and they didn't damage anything at all. I'm sure there's a better way to keep them attached, but I found blutac was best for me because I want to be able to take the lights off and re-wire when I have the time, or replace them if an LED dies :)
    Welcome to Despair~
    MetalGearSora
    • No
    • 5 years ago
    • Ontario, Canada
    5 years ago
    Katto (5 years ago) #1666335MetalGearSora (5 years ago) #1666216What about light distribution? The strips seem to give off more light than the pucks do but I think I like the look of the pucks better. How many strips would be needed to get a display properly lit? In this video: www.youtube.com... the guy has two sets of strips placed in a "L" shape and it looks as if his display is very well lit. Would one strip suffice or even one puck per shelf; or is a set up like this better?

I have a photo of my lighting here for a visual representation: picture/725827&...
    The photo was taken in complete darkness at about 10pm, so all the light being emanated is from the strips.

As for how many lights are needed, it's usually better with one strip per shelf. So 16 lights (4 sets of strip Dioders). Though that's because I have every shelf pretty full, so the light doesn't travel over the two shelves. I know some people who have a strip every two shelves, but I didn't like the amount of light that was in the cabinets that way.

If you use new blutac, it will hold very well. They give you some stick-tabs in the set, but I found they didn't hold very well for me. The strips are very light and if you wire them right and nice and tight around the frame, even if they fall, they won't damage your figures. I've had a couple fall myself (because I used old blutac) and they didn't damage anything at all. I'm sure there's a better way to keep them attached, but I found blutac was best for me because I want to be able to take the lights off and re-wire when I have the time, or replace them if an LED dies :)

Wow that looks very nice! :D

How much blutac is needed per strip, should it be say a penny sized amount on either end of a strip? Also is it best to place each strip at the very front of each shelf? Intuitively it seems like the middle would be best but from your experience is the front better?
    Katto
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Melbourne, Australia
    5 years ago
    MetalGearSora (5 years ago) #1666592Wow that looks very nice! :D

How much blutac is needed per strip, should it be say a penny sized amount on either end of a strip? Also is it best to place each strip at the very front of each shelf? Intuitively it seems like the middle would be best but from your experience is the front better?

I used less than a penny sized amount (I had to look at the diameter of a penny hahaha) at each end and in the centre of the strip. I thought about doing them at the front and the back, but I decided the front was the best place for me because of how I worked out the wiring. If you use blutac to test where to put everything, you have a lot of opportunities to move them around and decide where you think they look best :) The main reason why I picked the front was because it was the easiest location while hiding the wires in the cabinet for me.
    Welcome to Despair~
    MetalGearSora
    • No
    • 5 years ago
    • Ontario, Canada
    5 years ago
    Katto (5 years ago) #1666734MetalGearSora (5 years ago) #1666592Wow that looks very nice! :D

I used less than a penny sized amount (I had to look at the diameter of a penny hahaha) at each end and in the centre of the strip. I thought about doing them at the front and the back, but I decided the front was the best place for me because of how I worked out the wiring. If you use blutac to test where to put everything, you have a lot of opportunities to move them around and decide where you think they look best :) The main reason why I picked the front was because it was the easiest location while hiding the wires in the cabinet for me.

That leads me to my next question; what's the best way to hide the wires?

I just got my first Detolf built and placed in my room today although I've yet to install the strip lights I bought because of that reason.
  • thornRegular Boarder
    thorn
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    5 years ago
    For hiding the wires, I picked up a couple of "Cordmate" plastic strips. Cut them to about the same length as the risers in the detolf and run the cords through them by clamping them to the risers. They can be removed easily if necessary and you don't really notice them. Not only that, but they also keep tension on the wires so you don't need to tape or tack them to hold them in place.

If you want to get fancy you could paint them silver but mine are white and you still don't notice them.

I'm also using the older white IKEA puck lights. In addition, I've lined the back glass of my detolfs with mirror film and it helps to maximize the lights because they reflect off the back.

MetalGearSora (5 years ago) #1680983Katto (5 years ago) #1666734MetalGearSora (5 years ago) #1666592Wow that looks very nice! :D

That leads me to my next question; what's the best way to hide the wires?

I just got my first Detolf built and placed in my room today although I've yet to install the strip lights I bought because of that reason.
  • SweetIvyThe Jellopy ConnoisseurRegular Boarder
    SweetIvy
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Texas
    3 years ago
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, But Better than making a NEW Topic.

So, Ikea changed LED manufacturers now the newer ones look like a pee yellow color.

Example This Topic post: www.sideshowcol...

Looks like I might have to buy strips and make my own lighting system.

What have you guys done as a alternative?
    Katto
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Melbourne, Australia
    3 years ago
    SweetIvy (3 years ago) #2604201Sorry to resurrect an old thread, But Better than making a NEW Topic.

So, Ikea changed LED manufacturers now the newer ones look like a pee yellow color.

Example This Topic post: www.sideshowcol...

Looks like I might have to buy strips and make my own lighting system.

What have you guys done as a alternative?
    The warm white LEDs have been in place for a while now. I personally used the colour wheel alternative when I had my Detolf cabinets which had a point which got natural white.
    Welcome to Despair~
  • SweetIvyThe Jellopy ConnoisseurRegular Boarder
    SweetIvy
    • No
    • 6 years ago
    • Texas
    3 years ago
    Katto (3 years ago) #2604415SweetIvy (3 years ago) #2604201SnipThe warm white LEDs have been in place for a while now. I personally used the colour wheel alternative when I had my Detolf cabinets which had a point which got natural white.

With the color wheel did you have issues with the cords being too short for the case?
  • 23 replies
  • Join the club to join the discussion.