3 replies

• 3 replies
  • RieszRegular Boarder
    Riesz
    • No
    • 4 years ago
    • Ontario, Canada
    4 years ago • Updated 4 years ago
    Hi all! I received a new camera for Christmas. It's not the best but my boyfriend's feelings would be hurt if I return it so I'm trying to learn how to take the best pictures possible with it. I could use some help, though.

The camera is a Sony DSC-WX200. Here are the specs - www.sony.co.uk/... - I really don't know what any of it means. Pretty much all of the settings are automatic. I can adjust the white balance and exposure but I can't find anywhere to manually adjust the ISO. The camera comes with a bunch of built in "shooting modes" and right now I'm just trying to figure out the best mode for taking pictures of my figures.

So far my biggest gripe is that any photos taken in semi-low lighting are really muddy with no crisp details. Could anyone give some advice on how to fix this? I've tried "night scene" mode, which doesn't use flash and I've tried "night portrait", which does use flash. I'm trying to avoid flash but the picture is so grainy and awful without it. Here's an example of the top shelf in my Detolf at night with the LED Dioder lights turned on plus a pole lamp nearby, shot with "night portrait" and no tripod, resized 50% - i.imgur.com/IFN...

I'm really frustrated with this camera and lack of settings. I really only use a camera to take still shots of my figures but I'm not pleased with the results of photos taken with this camera. I saw this review of the camera - www.ephotozine.... and the shots look good but they are all daytime shots. My pictures taken with this camera are never as good of quality as on the review. What's my mistake?

Is there anything I can do to improve this? I can't afford to buy another camera at the moment. -.-
  • AsakoOm nom nomRegular Boarder
    Asako
    • No
    • 7 years ago
    • Australia
    4 years ago
    According to a quick google, you can adjust the ISO at the same menu you can adjust white balance. Set it to the minimum the camera will let you (100). Get a mini tripod or similar, and set the shutter to timer mode. You're always going to have issues in low light with a small sensor, but if you set ISO to minimum and use a tripod you can at least do longer exposures.

It seems to lack any real manual control, but at least with minimising the ISO you can try to reduce the noise. Also make sure not to use digital zoom.
  • Tsunami3kVery Important Boarder
    Tsunami3k
    • No
    • 8 years ago
    • United States of America
    4 years ago
    I second what Asako recommended but your shutter speeds will be long enough that hand held shot will likely be blurry so it may be more frustrating than it's worth trying it before you've gotten a tripod unless you can find something else to perch the camera on for the time it takes to capture the picture. In fact, you might want to try that first to see if shooting at ISO 100 helps enough before putting money into a tripod.

Also, whatever you used to crop the image removed the embedded info so I couldn't tell if it was shooting at the lenses maximum aperture of 3.3 or not but if there's any way to control it like an aperture priority mode or anything then that would be one way to ensure that it's set to let in the most light possible. It's tempting to guess that "night mode" would always do this but some cameras try to evaluate the scene and prioritize front to back focus by using a smaller aperture even in low light.

Another more obvious solution is to add more light. I agree, blasting your ladies in the face with built-in flash is usually less than desirable but there are some pretty good LED light sources online that last a very long time on a set of batteries and can produce a pleasant shapeable light that's good for all kinds of shoots beyond low-light stuff.

Yet another option would be a change to your editing software. Most everything out there worth getting has at least some sort of noise reduction feature with some being better than others. If you can manage it, I'd highly recommend Lightroom. It's very capable and very friendly for what it can do. Most importantly you can dial in the level of noise reduction that fits your taste and make it the default setting for all other images you edit with it. Your noise isn't all that bad actually so I think a little post-processing would do wonders. If you're at all curious about it, send me a photo. I'll work some magic on it staying 100% in Lightroom and then you can decide for yourself whether it's a good solution for you.
    http://www.animekc.com/forums/images/wallpapers/MrBlack90.pnghttp://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Tsunami3k/sign.png
  • 3 replies
  • Join the club to join the discussion.